Hard vs Soft rubbers

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I generally get more control and a better touch with harder rubbers.I also find they are very good for producing spin.Softer rubbers are easier to play with in general, as they require less force to get a good amount of speed and spin on the ball.My recent example can be summed up in my move from T05 to D09c.Unless you are in position to play a good stroke with D09c, the results are average.Even if out of position with T05, you can do a quick whip of the wrist and produce a pretty good attacking shot.
My own logic was softer rubber = more spin. However, a veteran player in my club told me otherwise. Instead of accepting or rejecting his statement right off, I decided to check it out myself. I use a mid hard, i.e., 39 degrees DHS Skyline 2 Provincial Blue Sponge ( PBS ) on my blade unboosted ( for experimentation ).And by golly, it is true, hard tacky rubber do produce a lot of spin and power. I guess the hard sponge transfer my power very well to the ball. Now perhaps I will play with it unboosted. I guess I may not need to boost this rubber to play after all. This rubber is very hard unboosted, it feels dead when you bounce the ball on it, but comes alive when hit topspin correctly. On the other hand, my Nittaku H3 Pro turbo which is 43 degree is totally unplayable without massive boosting.

Last edited:
Reactions: PingBirdPong
My take on the slow/hard issue is that first lula is absolutely correct it’s the combo. So my experience is that the hard is fine in fast game but requires one to put more into each stroke and you have a lot less marginal in the slow game.
The coach that was mentioned earlier if I recall right did not like the fast blade/slow rubber combo. That’s the combo that currently works best for me. I think this combo is giving me innerforce like characteristics. With a faster rubber I wouldn’t be able to control the slow game and there is no lack of power in the fast game. My profile states the combo I’m using. That said it was a long long time ago I played competitive but I’m still striving to get better but I will do my way…

Cheers
L-zr

says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019
I used Rozena for years on BH since I don't particularly find the benefit of T05 instead. I also used MX-P on BH and MX-P never felt any harder they are surprisingly interchangeable with minimal stroke adjusment.

It should be measured for both the topsheet and sponge hardness. As a complete rubber Tenergy 05 feels harder, T19 feels softer than both MX-P and Rozena.

I've got a question pls.Does rozena suits with a blade like viscaria on the bh side? I've been playing at a local club with coach for over 1 and a half year and now I'm considering to play again after a long break. I previously uses an all wood blade with joola rhyzm-p on both sides. I'm looking for a new setup still waiting for fzd alc( imo which will be more or less similar to viscaria). Since i'll just get back on the track after not playing for a long time, I prefer to play with not super fast rubbers like tenergy/dignics tbh also due to the high prices tags. Rozena is what I've been planning to use on bh; fair price, affordable for me. But I'm unsure this might or might not fits with a blade like viscaria. Could you give me some assists since you've been a rozena user for quite a while. For the fh side- i will be using dhs hurricane provincial bs
Would love to hear from you about my question. Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

I've got a question pls.Does rozena suits with a blade like viscaria on the bh side? I've been playing at a local club with coach for over 1 and a half year and now I'm considering to play again after a long break. I previously uses an all wood blade with joola rhyzm-p on both sides. I'm looking for a new setup still waiting for fzd alc( imo which will be more or less similar to viscaria). Since i'll just get back on the track after not playing for a long time, I prefer to play with not super fast rubbers like tenergy/dignics tbh also due to the high prices tags. Rozena is what I've been planning to use on bh; fair price, affordable for me. But I'm unsure this might or might not fits with a blade like viscaria. Could you give me some assists since you've been a rozena user for quite a while. For the fh side- i will be using dhs hurricane provincial bs
Would love to hear from you about my question. Thanks

I think it's very good on Viscaria type blades. I used it on a Viscaria clone myself the most and it was great. Honestly it's just a bit slower than Tenergy05.
I like it because it can be purchased for same the price as the cheapest high level ESN rubbers like MX-P, but Rozena is more durable and lighter weight.

Vis + H3 BS + Rozena sounds like about the best combo one can make for Chinese style play.

Reactions: Colin Ksh
Sep 2019

I think it's very good on Viscaria type blades. I used it on a Viscaria clone myself the most and it was great. Honestly it's just a bit slower than Tenergy05.
I like it because it can be purchased for same the price as the cheapest high level ESN rubbers like MX-P, but Rozena is more durable and lighter weight.

Vis + H3 BS + Rozena sounds like about the best combo one can make for Chinese style play.

Thanks a bundle :)
Now i can pair rozena on vis like blade without hesitating much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 3 reviews
My own logic was softer rubber = more spin. However, a veteran player in my club told me otherwise. Instead of accepting or rejecting his statement right off, I decided to check it out myself. I use a mid hard, i.e., 39 degrees DHS Skyline 2 Provincial Blue Sponge ( PBS ) on my blade unboosted ( for experimentation ).And by golly, it is true, hard tacky rubber do produce a lot of spin and power. I guess the hard sponge transfer my power very well to the ball. Now perhaps I will play with it unboosted. I guess I may not need to boost this rubber to play after all. This rubber is very hard unboosted, it feels dead when you bounce the ball on it, but comes alive when hit topspin correctly. On the other hand, my Nittaku H3 Pro turbo which is 43 degree is totally unplayable without massive boosting.

Yep. Everything comes down to the angle, power, footwork and wrist you put into your strokes. The more you do the job, the more you could benefit from using harder Chinese rubbers. There is probably a better way to explain it... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
My take on the slow/hard issue is that first lula is absolutely correct it’s the combo. So my experience is that the hard is fine in fast game but requires one to put more into each stroke and you have a lot less marginal in the slow game.
The coach that was mentioned earlier if I recall right did not like the fast blade/slow rubber combo. That’s the combo that currently works best for me. I think this combo is giving me innerforce like characteristics. With a faster rubber I wouldn’t be able to control the slow game and there is no lack of power in the fast game. My profile states the combo I’m using. That said it was a long long time ago I played competitive but I’m still striving to get better but I will do my way…

Cheers
L-zr

I think the combination you have stated is just brilliant. Two of the top players in my club use calibra LT sound and boosted T05fx on all wood and they produce magic of speed, spin and consistency on the table. Most of all - they insist that they feel comfortable with their setups. Generally speaking the good players around here here don't go any harder than T05(boosted) Freaks like me are hard to find......
Yes in the 1st national division we have players with 09c and MX-P50 and no one is discussing their decision because their choice is the choice of comfort

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Bah humbug I say!
More opinions. No facts.
Hard or soft is preference.
If hard rubbers are so good then why not make them harder?
if soft rubbers are so good then why not make them softer?
There is an optimal middle ground. There is a middle range that was found long ago. The TT manufacturers just want to get you to buy more rubbers only to find out you don't really like them.
Fact, the equipment does not have control. People do.
Fact, hard or soft rubbers can be equally soft or dead. It is the coefficient of restitution that matters. There are no equations that use how hard or soft a rubber is in calculating the speed after impact. Durometer readings values don't have units even though people say something like 37 degrees.
What is more important is how elastic the top sheet is and a spring constant for the sponge.
I need to change my name to the Grinch, Scrooge, or Jacob Marley for the week.

• Haha
Reactions: lodro and Dream2K