What's the one thing you wish you new when you first started playing table tennis?

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Footwork is key to giving back a good return. No footwork = poor return. I did not know that when I first started. I only seem to remember TT's poster boy back then being the ubiquitous elderly Chinese uncle in white singlets and open-toe sandals using a penhold bat who stand close to the table hardly moving at all, and yet, being able to block back 99.99% of the shots given by a younger more athletic player. That was my original image of the game TT because at that time I don't know who Ma Long, Fan Zhendong et al are.

• Haha
Reactions: TTHopeful and NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
i started in the 1960’s
which meant that i learned through books and watching tv of Lawn Tennis and picking what applied to table tennis. The best book by far in explaining modern tt
was Jack Carrington’s. He was an engineer and a world doubles champion and explained brilliantly and simply the role of topspin in the modern game.
Butterfly published a magazine full of Motion analysis picture strips of the new stars of the modern game and also published a wonderful coffee table book showing the best analysis photos

So the importance of balance and movement in sports was key- which leads to multiball training. I had no clue about this training method though australian tennis players with their 2 on 1 volleying practice in the 60’s seemed to be a precursor to multiball.

So multiball is what I wish I had when starting instead when I was over 60.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Evil
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2021
I hope I can react faster, have a more flexible body and especially want to exercise.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
It's all about mindset and mental toughness of not giving up. If you have that, the rest comes easier :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is simply about the title of the thread and the meaning of one word:

==
"NEW": Definition: not existing before; made, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time."new crop varieties"

==
"KNEW': past tense of the verb To Know: be aware of through observation, inquiry, or information."most people know that CFCs can damage the ozone layer"

==
The words are pronounced the same but mean different things. It is an easy mistake in typing and I do things like this all the time. So, not a criticism. I understand how that would happen. And, my question for the OP of the thread is, should I edit the title of the thread from "New" to "Knew"? :) Or should I leave it how it is? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckjordan2

mat

This user has no status.

mat

This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Definetly, for behinner AR wood and rubbers not so spin sensitive.
P. S. My 1st blade was Donic Epox Control, but (to) quick I jumped on Butterfly Innerforce ALC. So, I went back to great Yasaka sweden classic... As for beginner đź‘Ť