Racket options

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021
After almost 20 years without playing, before the summer I started training at the club my daughters attend.

I started with a pretty conservative set: Yasaka Sweden Extra + Mark V 2.0 on both sides.
After six months training 3 times a week, I thought it was time to switch to something a little faster and after reading this forum a bit I bought several blades: Primorac Japan, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, Virtuoso OFF- and Sanwei Fextra and F3 Pro to try faster and stiffer 7-Ply and composite options.

I also bought some rubbers: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft Max, Vega Asia DF Max, Vega Pro Max, Moon Speed Soft, Jupiter II Soft, Focus III Snipe and AK47 Blue and Red

So far I have only built one racket with the Sanwei Fextra and the Blue and Red AK47s. I like this combination, my game has become somewhat faster and more demanding with the movement of the body and have notably improved my performance with the forehand. Never had looped before but with this combo I started looping FH consistently after a few sessions with the robot. During matches however I noticed that I play more tense and more careful not to send the balls off the table, both BH and FH.

Although I could put together and test various combinations, what do you think would be the best combination with the blades and rubbers that I have on hand?
I was planning to combine the Tibhar SPW with the Rakza 7 Soft and the Primorac Japan with the Vega Asia DF (BH) and the Vega Pro (FH), leaving the F3 Pro and Virtuoso OFF- aside for now.

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Xmas!

zterm

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
After almost 20 years without playing, before the summer I started training at the club my daughters attend.

I started with a pretty conservative set: Yasaka Sweden Extra + Mark V 2.0 on both sides.
After six months training 3 times a week, I thought it was time to switch to something a little faster and after reading this forum a bit I bought several blades: Primorac Japan, Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, Virtuoso OFF- and Sanwei Fextra and F3 Pro to try faster and stiffer 7-Ply and composite options.

I also bought some rubbers: Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft Max, Vega Asia DF Max, Vega Pro Max, Moon Speed Soft, Jupiter II Soft, Focus III Snipe and AK47 Blue and Red

So far I have only built one racket with the Sanwei Fextra and the Blue and Red AK47s. I like this combination, my game has become somewhat faster and more demanding with the movement of the body and have notably improved my performance with the forehand. Never had looped before but with this combo I started looping FH consistently after a few sessions with the robot. During matches however I noticed that I play more tense and more careful not to send the balls off the table, both BH and FH.

Although I could put together and test various combinations, what do you think would be the best combination with the blades and rubbers that I have on hand?
I was planning to combine the Tibhar SPW with the Rakza 7 Soft and the Primorac Japan with the Vega Asia DF (BH) and the Vega Pro (FH), leaving the F3 Pro and Virtuoso OFF- aside for now.

Any opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Happy Xmas!

zterm
You should post a video of yourself playing if you want the best advice. No one can give you great advice without knowing how you play.

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
The politically correct statement these days is a standard cookie-cutter statement, "'Kindly post the most recent video of your training / gameplay in order for fellow forumers to properly assess your skill level and hence better propose a suitable equipment more intuned with your standard of play "

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Thanks for the input. I will post a video as soon as I can. I just wanted to use the free time during the holidays to assemble at least one racket, but will wait until I'm able to upload a short video.
I have a few questions:

When you use the Sweden Extra, do you also play more tentatively during match play? Or does that only happen with the faster setup? When you are in match play, do you feel you play better with the Sweden Extra or with the faster racket? With the faster racket, is there a reason you feel you are more cautious, tentative and trying to make sure you don't put the ball long?

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
If it were me I'd be playing with this combo you already had in mind: Primorac Japan with the Vega Asia DF (BH) and the Vega Pro (FH).

If I wanted two setups to fool around with I would probably step away from the Fextra, and put the AK47s on the virtuoso off -.

I have played with a friend's Rakza 7 soft, and although it works decently for Tom, it is just too damn soft.

I haven't played with Fextra, but I did use Clipper and avalox P700, seven ply woods. They are alright for short pips players, but less than ideal for looping. It sounds like you are, or want to be, looping.

Stratus Power Wood is a nice blade, lots of people like it. But it's slightly oversized. There just wasn't anything special about it to me.

I also had a virtuoso off - at one time. It was okay. Lots of people love them and say they are the greatest thing ever. For me it was kind of meh. A fine all-wood blade. It might pair well with the AK47s. I've never used those, or any palio rubber. Since you already bought all this stuff I would definitely give that combo a chance. Or if the handle of the TSPW feels better in your hand than the virtuoso does, you could try them on it instead. Apart from the head size and resulting weight, I doubt you will notice a huge difference between them.

But my guess is the Primorac Japan with the Xiom rubbers will be the nicest for you.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021

When you use the Sweden Extra, do you also play more tentatively during match play? Or does that only happen with the faster setup?

No, I feel more secure, but my game gets more all-around defensife and slower, with only occasional ventures into offensive game thad end up not being effective or offensive at all. I can't really loop well with Mark V 2.0, I guess. Many balls go to the net. BH play (no topspin) is good with the Mark V though.

When you are in match play, do you feel you play better with the Sweden Extra or with the faster racket?

During matches, it depends on the opponent. With the faster racket I started winning more matches to offensive opponents that previously beat me easily. However, playing against defensive choppers or even all-around players I don't get the same results.
Sometimes we play chop-only matches and there I feel safe with my current YSE+Mark V setup.
In normal training doing drills and mixed BH/FH exercises I strongly prefer the more dynamic character of the Fextra+AK47. By the way, Forgot to mention that I also have a Yinhe V14Pro with the same AK47s and can not play with it. I can use it with the robot, but not during a match. I don't get any feel from it.

With the faster racket, is there a reason you feel you are more cautious, tentative and trying to make sure you don't put the ball long?

With the faster racket I block more effectively and can loop easily if the pace of the game allows. I somewhat loose some of the precision in ball placement and control that the slower setup gives me.
Maybe I need more time with the faster combo and maybe I have a bit of EJ but two coaches already suggested me to try softer rubbers on a Korbel. Most of the people at my club use Bluefire M3 BH, M2 BH/FH and/or M1 FH or Baracuda both sides with Donic or Tibhar All-Around or OFF- Blades.
Tried those, and I somewhat liked the feel but at the same time I fell them all a bit soft.

I know that I am trying to evaluate too many options at the same time, that I am confused, and that maybe it comes down to putting other rubbers on my Yasaka Sweden Extra or on the Primorac, as my coaches and Brs have suggested, and keep training as much as possible.
Don't know exactly why, but I'd like to keep the YSE with the Mark V and the Fextra with AK47s for a while to have two references.

Finally, to be honest I still don't know how to match blades and rubbers effectively. Some say hard rubbers with faster blades while others seem to suggest the opposite.

Thank you very much for your interest and input.

Merry Xmas!

zterm

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2021

But my guess is the Primorac Japan with the Xiom rubbers will be the nicest for you.

Thanks for your input. I will probably build that combo first and post how I play with it.

Just for curiosity. Why you suggested to put the Xioms on the Primorac and leave the AK47s for the Virtuoso Off-?
Any particular reason?
Please remember that for me, combining wood and rubber is voodoo. 😊