Video Footage Safe Thread

Brs;383030

I think your footwork can get quite a bit better. Truly it is a very long process and will definitely never be perfect. But the goal is better, not perfect, so that's okay

=> I cannot tell you how freaking happy I was to read that!

Record some every time you practice or play games, and watch it soon after. It doesn't have to be a lot, ten minutes is enough. It's important to learn to feel how you are moving and your balance. After you watch yourself enough you will start to know what you are doing in real time much more

=> implementing immediately

It could be that you are lazy or in bad condition. Those things are important for sure. But more likely you don't know soon enough where the ball is going, and you are probably not in an ideal position to start from

=> Your are spot on BRS ... other ppl have told me I react to the ball after it bounce on my side, too late, not ready

=> Your write-up of paying attention to the other's racket angle & where it's directing definitely helps

=> I am happy to report (in 30 mins practice) I am already getting results - seeing BH balls earlier, able to anticipate better, moving to the ball quicker, setting proper strike zone

block the next ball at the desired height without moving your elbow at all. When you move your elbow relative to your body it changes the bat angle. This is usually not desirable

=> This is news to me, it makes sense though

=> I AM Ready 2 Do Work!

All of the semi-random exercises are built around playing safe shots and watching your partner or coach's bat to see where he is directing the ball. If you wait until the ball is coming back to you to move you will fall behind. Which is exactly what happens in games

=> I get this BRS, I am getting this 👏

Thank you for taking the time to articulate it is possible to get better at foot-work, what to do & how to work on it ... I am sooo freaking excited about the trajectory of my game

Pinga Ponga can be so much fun

And as I get better, I have even more fun
💪

Thanks for helping out BRS!

LDM7

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Hi good people of TTD,

It has been sometime since I posted any serious post. Here goes:

I have been feeling suckish table-tennis wise for the past one month or so. I recalled I was playing well prior and was beating or close to beating more experience player in my club. I was feeling mighty awesome back then. Then about less than a month ago, things just went south. I have no idea what is going on. Suddenly I just lost my mojo but in my mind, I did not change anything. No! I did not EJ nor change my set-up. I am playing my usual game, i.e., relying a lot of my FH loops to win points and added even BH open ups as well.

However, I find that my opponents seems to be able to make it harder for me to open up lately. I seem to be at the wrong stance, wrong footing, wrong placing all the time lately. I tend to be always surprised when the ball come back to me. I am not sure whether that is my problem or my opponents has managed to read my game better.

I will try to get some footage of my game-play and perhaps more experienced players can assist on what is wrong with my game.

p/s: I had not gone for my coaching lessons for the past two months due to scheduling conflict lately.

p/ss: I really miss those endorphine effect of winning or playing a good game. These days, most of the time, after the game I feel the opposite, i.e., depress and frustrated.

Last edited:
Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
It goes better and worse for everyone 😀 I also think that the better you become, the harder it will be to feel that you are developing.

I would think about:
- playing style and idea. Need to know what you are good at, then serve and return so you get that play. Without this it more luck if you win. Then practice according to the playing style.
- How is the variation of placement and tempo? to little and the opponent becomes a beast
- exercises that:
+start with serve and return
+more irregular
If you play just regular exercises with no serve and return you feel awesome at practice but are fooling yourself. I would almost go so far to say that you need to feel that you are playing bad, otherwise the exercise is to easy.

Keep training! It will feel better soon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Improvement is hardly linear, you can suck for a while, and your game can still be headed in the right direction. You can think of your game as being like the stock market or an inflationary economy. As long as you train, and sometimes even when you don't, things will get better. If you focus exclusively on short term results, it can be discouraging. Even very good players have bad runs of form.But yes, coaching and training for long term improvement is not negotiable. I have friends who made level jumps in the 40s after years of training starting in their 20s. They just kept playing and training. But they had down periods too and many bad losses. But looking over 20 years and having perspective beats looking at one month.

Last edited:
Hi good people of TTD,

It has been sometime since I posted any serious post. Here goes:

I have been feeling suckish table-tennis wise for the past one month or so. I recalled I was playing well prior and was beating or close to beating more experience player in my club. I was feeling mighty awesome back then. Then about less than a month ago, things just went south. I have no idea what is going on. Suddenly I just lost my mojo but in my mind, I did not change anything. No! I did not EJ nor change my set-up. I am playing my usual game, i.e., relying a lot of my FH loops to win points and added even BH open ups as well.

However, I find that my opponents seems to be able to make it harder for me to open up lately. I seem to be at the wrong stance, wrong footing, wrong placing all the time lately. I tend to be always surprised when the ball come back to me. I am not sure whether that is my problem or my opponents has managed to read my game better.

I will try to get some footage of my game-play and perhaps more experienced players can assist on what is wrong with my game.

p/s: I had not gone for my coaching lessons for the past two months due to scheduling conflict lately.

p/ss: I really miss those endorphine effect of winning or playing a good game. These days, most of the time, after the game I feel the opposite, i.e., depress and frustrated.
It’s walking up a staircase with platforms and some downward steps, you are most likely improving. All of a sudden you are going to take another step up the staircase. Sometimes you stay a long time on the same level and sometimes even take a brief step down.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
My 11/7/Monday night RR vs Kevin (3-2)

we played once on oct 24, lost 2-3 (i think 8-11 in the 5th), so i am encouraged by a win tonight 👏

end of 5th game was cut off, continued onto a second mp4 ... don't know why

appreciate your comments on a few areas of strengths to perfect and (likewise) a few opportunities to shine brighter

Thank you,

LDM7

Funny how it shifts focus (but not back) when someone is walking In front of it...

Cheers
L-zr

Greetings Lazer,

i've read some of your posts & seen you around ...

i've added the end of my 5th match (5:29) uninterrupted, unfiltered ...

when you get a moment, could you give a watch & provide bits on the good, not so good & the ugly on thread "How Did I Win or Lose a Match?" Thanks man,

LDM7

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi i did a training match with coach Oya today. Usually we don't do those because i feel it is no use because he would play only at 20%. But it may be useful from time to time for him to evaluate my matchplay abilities. Anyway we always have fun when we play a match together (watch till the end !)

---

Thereafter i did some 3rd ball attack training. I do more of those and less drills such like 2 FH + 2BH. I have spent more time training my serve this year, and i'm getting back in position a bit faster than i used to be, but there is still much progress to be done. The error ratio is still way way too high.

coach OYA told me that i should be careful not to hit the ball too late and under the table, because then the stroke is too vertical and i make more mistakes.

---
We finished with some multiball exercises

i was mostly focusing on always being in movement, with small steps / bounces between each ball. I was rather in a good shape today. I feel i'm using much better my legs and my waist in my strokes than I used to. Unfortunately my coach didn't tell me to pay attention to my upper body which is too straight during the whole video. Thats the main point i should improve i believe, I know that when i manage to pay attention to it, the shot quality goes up a lot and mistakes drop a lot too. and I would like much more like a pro TT player if I did.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
https://youtu.be/-z6_LpU3Zx8

Made a new video FH and BH. Still doesn't look pretty but I feel I can swing faster and get more spin on it.

You're working really hard and some things are really good but some things show that you are working too hard. The upper arm is finishing way too high on the forehand side, which shows me that you are not using contact point and racket angle/swing trajectory to compensate appropriately. But some of it might just be your practice environment. Do you have any videos of you practicing standard hitting strokes on the ball?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

You're working really hard and some things are really good but some things show that you are working too hard. The upper arm is finishing way too high on the forehand side, which shows me that you are not using contact point and racket angle/swing trajectory to compensate appropriately. But some of it might just be your practice environment. Do you have any videos of you practicing standard hitting strokes on the ball?

Yeah I feel I'm using shoulder too much. How can I use the shoulder less? Basically just using the forearm and not swinging the upper arm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Yeah I feel I'm using shoulder too much. How can I use the shoulder less? Basically just using the forearm and not swinging the upper arm?

Yes, but you have to start all over, you have already built a pattern that has habits you don't want to reproduce. So you need to start with a new hit, and then when you have the hit you want, build the topspin on top of that.

Or you can try to build a topspin without upper arm on your current movement, but in my experience, that doesn't work...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Just an image that may help you wrap your mind around what is going on that should not be:

Screen%20Shot%202022%2011%2025%20at%205%2015%2048%20PM%20png.png

This is not always your followthrough. But, in this video, all of your followthroughs on the FH side do end with your elbow higher than your head. At highest, I think your elbow might end up the hight of your shoulder with your elbow pointing forward and your forearm bent so your racket is in front of your face, or forehead or a little to one side or the other:

Screen%20Shot%202022%2011%2025%20at%205%2046%2008%20PM%20png.png

That is just the followthrough of someone with a decent amateur forehand. So, not saying this is perfect or correct. But if your elbow is going higher than that, it could be bad for your shoulder in the long run and it means you are probably trying a little too hard.

Another thing I am noticing as I watch this video a little more closely is, that table's bounce is pretty erratic and bad. Sometimes the ball bounces high, sometimes the ball does not bounce at all. Or is this the balls you are using? If it is the balls, you need to get a fresh set of balls because that crazy erratic bounce is really making you more stressed as you are trying to track the ball than you should be. If it is the table, test all of those tables and find one that is not as bad. With such an unpredictable bounce from the ball or table, you really can't do quality training that will benefit you.

In the end, I have seen you in the past seem to overanalyze things and come up with ideas that you tried in shadow strokes that I think may have sent you in the wrong direction. I know, in the past I said that, if you had the robot set to send balls at you at such a short interval that you would need to be set for the next one before your shot landed on the table, it may improve your technique because:
1) You would not have time to think about anything but getting ready for the next shot, which would also mean you could not have such an exaggerated followthrough.
2) Your stroke would have to be compact and you would groove it over and over, which would give you the rhythm and let you groove the stroke, whereas, with how much time you have between balls here, it is actually a little awkward because there is a point where you are just waiting and how long you are waiting is actually throwing your body mechanics out of sync.

Since you cannot control the robot to make the interval between balls shorter, those suggestions are not so useful. And I really can't be sure if they would help anyway. But I think NextLevel has made a good suggestion to try and start new with a basic counter drive.

There are many things you are doing well, and I have a feeling that the combination of not having ideal training facilities and you working REALLY HARD to improve, have set you back a small amount. But the important things are there like your contact and touch are good and that means you are watching and reading the ball. Those are big important things.

I guess, one more thing to add, a table tennis ball is a pretty small thing. If you put it in the palm of your hand, it is pretty light. To work on good technique, you do not need much power. You are big and powerful. You have more than enough power, even at 40%. The control to loop without using maximum power while still keeping a good bat-speed may be something that would be worthwhile working on for you.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Yeah i see what you mean. Pros all end up the follow through in the same position woth the upper arm horizontal pointing forward and lower arm almost vertical above that.

Unfortunately the tables are public tables with some errors and machine can't shoot faster. I could make it shoot lower by angling it with a wedge though

• Wow
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi