Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

You dominated him pretty thoroughly so it's hard to find many errors. Your backhand swing is big, not to say kreanga-like. That's not necessarily bad, but I can imagine it doesn't leave you enough time vs faster players. Do you have a smaller stroke you can use with different rubber, that just doesn't work with H3 37? And you pushed a few long balls with your forehand even though you seem to win more points on that side. It didn't hurt you against an LP blocker, but it would vs loopers. Maybe you only did that in this match?

Good stuff is easy to find. Your serves got some receive errors even with his LP. You handled his blocks like they were nothing. And your placements were either into his body, or one to the forehand and then back behind his backhand side, very effective. And you were very consistent with only one or two unforced errors. It was a really nice sequence.

Puh "kreanga-like" is a huge compliment, thank you for that. But yeah that is exactly what failed me later on in the tournament and nearly lost me the doubles final which i didnt upload because it is double where it is even harder to see errors i have in a singles match.
Normal flicks and shorter bh topspins just didnt work with the hurricane 3. I guess to make it work i have to have a motion like Ma Long or Liang Jingkun which is way more consistent and stronger while the motion is shorter. That is the main reason i switched.

The thing with pushing vs attacking is smth i have to fully admit. I am srsly bad at it and need to always mentally focus on attacking to overcome this. Otherwise i will push again instead of attacking. Dunno when this weird habit got to me.
And no i do this pretty often 😪

Thank you for the feedback - really appreciated.

NDH

says Spin to win!

Also, since PingBirdPong is directly asking, can any of you on the list give some feedback for him while keeping in mind the leg injury?

Thanks.

@PingBirdPong, assume you are the one on the left?

Always hard to judge when someone has an injury, because you don’t know how much of their action is affected by the injury or not.

On the bigger FH shots, you tend to whip across your body a bit too much. If it was a clock, you are going from 4 to 9.

You want to extend a little more, hit through the ball and have your arm go from that same 4 o clock position to more of a 10 o clock position.

It’s a really subtle change, but I think you’ll find your attacking shots will be more consistent, and have more power.

It also opens up the “down the line” option a bit more.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Here is a video of me playing yesterday against the amateur champion of our grade. He plays very tricky and I have never caught on to a pattern. My leg is still not fully functional, and I can’t really move or use it to open up and hit big forehands. I wish I was as good as a lot of people here!
Can anyone give some advice on how to improve BH topspin and flick?Thanks!

Hey Birdy, some tips to improve your bh after your recovery (because you shouldnt put too much strain on your leg, so get well soon!):

- Work on lowering your stance and position at the table. You are pretty tall and it is damn hard to judge a ball watching it from above. If your head is more on an even level to the ball you can judge and position yourself better for your stroke. On top you can perform more and higher quality shots from this position (for reference search for bh training of Ma Long - there you can see how he uses his power from the legs to hit the ball better and harder)

- Use your wrists more especially closer to the table. The biggest of the bh to the fh is, that we cant swing our entire arm the same way. To compensate that we have to use our wrists even more above the table.
While behind the table to you can usually hard hit the ball with your bh, you have to more brush the ball over the table, so you can create the arc needed to get the ball over the table but still ON the table.

- Dont make the same mistake as me and try to attack everything^^ Often the ball is too low and/or with too much backspin. Even if you hit that with a flick above the net, these ball are usually too slow and too high so they will put you back into a disadvantage. Just push these short behind the net and wait for a weaker or/and longer push from your opponent.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Hey Birdy, some tips to improve your bh after your recovery (because you shouldnt put too much strain on your leg, so get well soon!):

- Work on lowering your stance and position at the table. You are pretty tall and it is damn hard to judge a ball watching it from above. If your head is more on an even level to the ball you can judge and position yourself better for your stroke. On top you can perform more and higher quality shots from this position (for reference search for bh training of Ma Long - there you can see how he uses his power from the legs to hit the ball better and harder)

- Use your wrists more especially closer to the table. The biggest of the bh to the fh is, that we cant swing our entire arm the same way. To compensate that we have to use our wrists even more above the table.
While behind the table to you can usually hard hit the ball with your bh, you have to more brush the ball over the table, so you can create the arc needed to get the ball over the table but still ON the table.

- Dont make the same mistake as me and try to attack everything^^ Often the ball is too low and/or with too much backspin. Even if you hit that with a flick above the net, these ball are usually too slow and too high so they will put you back into a disadvantage. Just push these short behind the net and wait for a weaker or/and longer push from your opponent.

It should be noted, Attitude did run this by me and I agreed that this was good feedback for him to post.

Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.

PingBirdPong: I am wondering about the injury to your leg and how it is impacting you as you recover. I wanted to know if bending your knees and getting lower impacts the injury/recovery or if you can do that.

The injury is on the right knee bone. A piece fell off and had to be nailed on through surgery, a tendon was also sown back together. Bending the knee has some discomfort or slight pain, and my muscles can’t really keep up that much because they have shrunk. Notice in the video I don’t bend my right leg, this is the reason. 😀

This user has no status.

@PingBirdPong, assume you are the one on the left?

Always hard to judge when someone has an injury, because you don’t know how much of their action is affected by the injury or not.

On the bigger FH shots, you tend to whip across your body a bit too much. If it was a clock, you are going from 4 to 9.

You want to extend a little more, hit through the ball and have your arm go from that same 4 o clock position to more of a 10 o clock position.

It’s a really subtle change, but I think you’ll find your attacking shots will be more consistent, and have more power.

It also opens up the “down the line” option a bit more.

Thanks for pointing this out!
I’ve had this problem for a long time, and my coach even said something about it a while ago. It’s a problem where that gets amplified by the injury. You see, I can’t use my right leg to push off the ground for strength, so I had to compensate by using my waist more, but that caused the problem you described above. It’s a great point, and as my leg gets better I’ll keep it in mind!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.

Thanks for the advice!
The first point I already am aware of, just physically can’t complete.
The second and third points are very helpful. I’ll try them next time I play. I always try to attack a lot of things and it just goes bad.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The injury is on the right knee bone. A piece fell off and had to be nailed on through surgery, a tendon was also sown back together. Bending the knee has some discomfort or slight pain, and my muscles can’t really keep up that much because they have shrunk. Notice in the video I don’t bend my right leg, this is the reason. 😀
I had a feeling this was the case so I wanted it to be clearer to people giving advice that bending the injured knee may be hard for a while still. Thanks for making it clear why it will take a while. You are doing great on your recovery so far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@PingBirdPong

there are many videos on YT explaining BH technique, so i think you should see a lot of them and try for yourself !

otherwise, many good comments already, you are very tall so you have to be careful and try to lower your stance as much as possible, with upper body leaning more . You are currently playing your shots using almost no power from the legs, and body but your arm. You have already a good sense of BH because you're doing some winners and the general form is there already but you have to learn how to use your whole body.

Also, being tall, be careful not to be standing too close from the table.

My advice is to practice playing slower BH, but try to feel the acceleration and to spin the ball more, using a more relaxed shot with the hand/arm, but using at the same time more your legs and body. When you feel the ball better, then you will be able to feel which ball is easier to attack and play it more strongly, with a faster swing and stronger impact.

i know you have an injury so ofc you should be careful about that above all. but even with the existing injury try to find what you are able to do.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
@Attitude

not much to say apart that you're playing overall very well in this short video, with very fluid and relaxed technique.

The other player doesn't play very fast, and you have time to do your shots, and you do that cleanly. You were not troubled by the LP ball against your pushes, always an annoying ball usually.

You missed the BH smash against high ball towards the end of the video, I'm a fan of that shot as well, it was close and not an easy shot.

the only little problem that i saw was a point towards the beginning where you're going back too far too quickly and he plays to your FH, you're a bit slow to move and you do recover the ball but with a weak shot. There seemed to be no real reason to go back that far, and no reason to be late on that ball. Maybe you were just sleepy on that one...

This user has no status.
@PingBirdPong

there are many videos on YT explaining BH technique, so i think you should see a lot of them and try for yourself !

otherwise, many good comments already, you are very tall so you have to be careful and try to lower your stance as much as possible, with upper body leaning more . You are currently playing your shots using almost no power from the legs, and body but your arm. You have already a good sense of BH because you're doing some winners and the general form is there already but you have to learn how to use your whole body.

Also, being tall, be careful not to be standing too close from the table.

My advice is to practice playing slower BH, but try to feel the acceleration and to spin the ball more, using a more relaxed shot with the hand/arm, but using at the same time more your legs and body. When you feel the ball better, then you will be able to feel which ball is easier to attack and play it more strongly, with a faster swing and stronger impact.

i know you have an injury so ofc you should be careful about that above all. but even with the existing injury try to find what you are able to do.
Thank you.
I have a coach, so I’ll ask him about the technique when I get better. And once I can actually use my legs, I’ll be able to push through and use their strength. Keeping low wasn’t a problem before the injury, and it shouldn’t be after recovery. Footwork however is one thing I didn’t get the hang of before, so that is one of my priorities when I get back to training.
I think I will slow down the next time I play, and focus on using the right technique.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

Me playing on the left side.

Sorry for the bad quality, but this video was sent to me via whatsapp and is the only video i could find which is not several years back.
I might upload more in the next year if clubs stay open and the season starts.

Opponent was playing with long pips on his backhand. I won this match and got first in the groupstages but lost in the quarterfinals 2:3.

If you see more errors beside my lack of fast movement^^ feel free to enlighten me.

Sidenote: In that tournament i was still using boosted Hurricane 3 neo (37°,2.1) on my bh. In this clip it is not really visible because i had enough time for full strokes, but this rubber didnt do me well because i am too slow to perform consistent strong strokes as those which are seen here. That forced many errors in the upcoming matches, where the opponents had much faster playing styles.
I think your strokes seems good! If you play against an offensive player you will not have the time to put the right foot in front of the left when playing backhand.

I think you have more problem with the tactics. Like takkyu say you are moving away from the table very fast. I do not understand why since the guy block with the longpimple, play the ball short and do not seem to attack with forehand so much. You ran like crazy, he barely moved - so maybe you played the ball at the same place all the time?

Try next time to move him more and use the advantage that you know what spin that will come if you play against his long pimple rubber. I think you can beat this guy much easier if you adjust the tactics.

Keep up the good work!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
@Attitude

not much to say apart that you're playing overall very well in this short video, with very fluid and relaxed technique.

The other player doesn't play very fast, and you have time to do your shots, and you do that cleanly. You were not troubled by the LP ball against your pushes, always an annoying ball usually.

You missed the BH smash against high ball towards the end of the video, I'm a fan of that shot as well, it was close and not an easy shot.

the only little problem that i saw was a point towards the beginning where you're going back too far too quickly and he plays to your FH, you're a bit slow to move and you do recover the ball but with a weak shot. There seemed to be no real reason to go back that far, and no reason to be late on that ball. Maybe you were just sleepy on that one...

Yeah that is a really bad and stupid habit of mine. The moment i am not focussing about my movement i always backpaddle with many of my strokes no matter who my opponent is. And if he has a slower playingstyle and equipment i will always put myself out of position.
And on top my bh to fh transition is damn slow. Hard to work on that but i will try to find a way.

Thank you Takkyu and Lula for the feedback.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I revently bought a penhold blade, here is some forehands and backhands.

I'm not a good player (more of a street player) playing like 1,2 times per week but it is still fun.

Tried some forehands
And backhands

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi