Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Here is a shadow swing video I made for one of my students of how the elbow comes out from the body in the backhand as the body goes up. This is a no backswIng before the back whip pattern. Its a bit like Ma Longs backhand. Comments welcome.

https://youtu.be/HSbHoGqfFFo

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Hmm I see. Check this video out:

You can see he has his arm quite well out in front and just does a short whip motion with his wrist, since you're hitting backhands close to the table I think this is what you should aim for. The turning of the upperarm and a push with the legs is what drives the swing. The further you are from the table the more you can turn your upper arm back for a bigger swing. Your upper arm/elbow should be stable and not move much, it's the turning of it that is the backhand swing imo.I hope it helps.. it takes time to change these things.

Yeah, if I had to work on the backhand again, this is how I would do it. I would argue that you could probably point the racket more upwards than it looks Liam is doing. so it looks more like a right angle at the wrist. There are other whippy things but would take too long to discuss them - basically, he could get the racket sometimes unconsciously with the tip of the head pointing towards himself (or the butt of the wrist/handle pointing towards us.).

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Cytivrat, Check out how Harimotos elbow comes out as the bat goes back for the backswing. Body comes up and forward as the bat goes back allows a more effortless faster swing and should reduce your tension issues. Its hard to see on the video unless you use slow motion. You are just rotating your arm around your elbow which takes more muscular effort. Adding a more dynamic body up motion like Harimoto's would also would allow a more relaxed swing. So I suggest to work on your body mechanics and timing of the backswing to gain more relaxation. Delay the backswing as long as possible. Saying someone to relax more does not work if the stroke structure is not great. Good body mechanics allows you to relax your arm that allows a faster racket speed.

Here is a shadow swing video I made for one of my students of how the elbow comes out from the body in the backhand as the body goes up. This is a no backswIng before the back whip pattern. Its a bit like Ma Longs backhand. Comments welcome.

https://youtu.be/HSbHoGqfFFo

Maurice, I am going to leave your comments because they are useful. But please read the first post in this thread. If you do want to be put on the list of people who CAN comment on videos and technique, please just send me a PM and I am sure we can work that out since, it seems to me, you do know what you are talking about.

Thanks.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Comments welcome.

Maurice: below is the OP of the thread where I laid out the rules of this particular thread. Your posts are good. Clearly you are not the kind of commenter that I am trying to protect members from: you are not posting negative comments about people’s technique to make people not want to post footage of their play and skill level.

So, I am sure a brief conversation so I can at least know a little about you will make it so, if you want to help people on this thread, I can add you to the list so people know you have the authorization to make constructive comments in this thread.

This thread is for forum members to post footage of yourself. This is different than a regular thread. I will moderate this thread heavily. Anyone can post footage. But the only people who can comment on the footage are people who have been specifically selected because they are players who are able to give useful commentary.

These are the players who can give commentary on video footage:

1) Baal
2) Der_Echte
3) NDH
4) Richie
5) Lula
6) NextLevel
7) Brs
8) Takkyu_wa_inochi
9) Tinykin
10) pingpongpaddy

Anyone can post footage. However, if anyone not on the list above tries to post commentary on footage, that commentary will be deleted. If someone presents commentary to me via PM for posting, and I deem it okay to post, I may make exceptions to this every so often. I also am reserving the right to edit the list and add if I decide someone is capable of making good, insightful commentary.

Hopefully, this will make it so people feel comfortable posting footage of themselves for people on the forum to see and get to know each other without feeling like the commentary that happens after posting footage is uncalled for. Also, if you wanted to post footage but would prefer nobody comments on the footage you present, you can ask that. I will help make that happen as well.

Again, comments from people who are not on the list above will get deleted.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hey, everybody,

Please help me with my development.

I've been playing table tennis for about 4 years, for the last two years I've been trying to practice regularly 2 - 3 times a week. I've also been to multiball a few times with a coach, but more just within the "club". I play unregistered competition (weekly match).

Video 1:https://photos.app.goo.gl/yyuAPXEcJuB4Jce87
The first video shows the warm-up and basic strikes

Video 2:https://photos.app.goo.gl/NTtVJE98ZoDK8dG27
On the second video, there is a practice game - the end of the set, the game starts at 9:9

Thank you for your advice. I will add more information if needed.

EDIT: Pretty substantial info :D I'm the one in the yellow shirt. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Mivan,

Since there are many coaches and competent commentators, I will only cover a few areas.

Serve - You often have a very short toss out of your hand that will get you faulted. It takes time, but learn how to toss it high enough and learn the whip to impact timing in stages. Brett Clarke and Matt Hetherington from TTD have made the most vids explaining this. Your base FH pendulum stroke will have your elbow hit your ribs, thin you pivot on elbow hinge with lower arm forward to impact. You can isolate this by sitting down, no bat, toss ball up, let it fall, and make your stroke without bat palm up and catch ball at impact point. This will get you used to whip at impact point and time. You can then stand over floor and serve ball outward a meter or two and make it roll back. Later, do this a meter behind table and make it bounce on one side, then other, then come back. Later, practice at the table. Trying to do it all at once at the table from the beginning has too many things going on and is difficult.

Your FH underspin - When you decide you do not want to attack, you are waiting too long. You allow ball to come to your body and are trying to move out of the way, often it is a fail. Realize earlier that you do not want to attack, and take a step FORWARD towards the ball and take the ball early off the bounce. You will not need much of a stroke for that... and you will make more balls on the other side with better quality.

Your FH Topspin - You missed so many FH attacks. I can say such and such about your stroke and whip... but your problems are starting with your feet position and stance. Your feet are in a backhand oriented position, right foot is slightly in front. This makes it easy for BH, but harder for FH. Move right foot back at least 15 cm more than it is now.... then you will be more ready to make a FH if the ball comes there. We can get into how you are not getting down a little of coiling or making an efficient whip... but it will get 1000% easier when you are not in a BH dominant stance.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hi, thank you so much for all the notes.

Serve:
I realize I have to be careful with my pitching at the service. It's been pointed out to me several times. I'll try the drill you mention.

FH underspin:
I was more likely to try to go into topspin when there was no suitable ball so many times I reacted really late and played underspin.

FH Topspin:
Foot position is really bad, tried moving my right foot back in practice and felt uncomfortable (unusual). It will need more practice. When I did it I felt better when I punched.

Thank you again

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey, everybody,

I've been playing table tennis for about 4 years, for the last two years I've been trying to practice regularly 2 - 3 times a week. I've also been to multiball a few times with a coach, but more just within the "club". I play unregistered competition (weekly match).

On the second video, there is a practice game - the end of the set, the game starts at 9:9

Anyone have anything else that could help Mivan?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
Anyone have anything else that could help Mivan?

Well, I'm not in the list of allowed commentators, I'm not a coach either, so feel free to delete my comment.

Mivan, The first thing I would start to work with is footwork. It is very important (on my opinion). I didn't watch your video fully, just scrolled into different places, but I didn't notice footwork drills at all. Maybe you have them and I missed it, or you just cut them out of your videos to make them shorter. If you don't have some kind of injury or any other kind of problems with your legs, I suggest you to add two types of drills (if you don't have them already):
1) movement into different positions, i.e.: right-center-right, left-center-left, etc., guess there must be lots of different schemas for this type of drills in the internet, choose anything you like
2) some drills that will force you to switch from right to left and from left to right. It might be some exercise that doesn't make you run from one side to another, but just to make adjustments to your legs position

The rest will come with time and experience.

P.S. and continue training with a coach at least from time to time

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Well, I'm not in the list of allowed commentators, I'm not a coach either, so feel free to delete my comment.

Mivan, The first thing I would start to work with is footwork. It is very important (on my opinion). I didn't watch your video fully, just scrolled into different places, but I didn't notice footwork drills at all. Maybe you have them and I missed it, or you just cut them out of your videos to make them shorter. If you don't have some kind of injury or any other kind of problems with your legs, I suggest you to add two types of drills (if you don't have them already):
1) movement into different positions, i.e.: right-center-right, left-center-left, etc., guess there must be lots of different schemas for this type of drills in the internet, choose anything you like
2) some drills that will force you to switch from right to left and from left to right. It might be some exercise that doesn't make you run from one side to another, but just to make adjustments to your legs position

The rest will come with time and experience.

P.S. and continue training with a coach at least from time to time

I will leave this. I don't disagree with this post. But I don't think this is central to what needs to be worked on. Still, I think it will help and the comment was made in the spirit of trying to help. So I appreciate that.

Still, it should be noted, my comment was directed towards the people on the approved list. Next time, please just send me a PM to confirm that your post is okay to put on. But I do think this comment is a fine one. Footwork is always good to work on. And footwork will help him judge incoming balls a little better.

I have a feeling some in-out drills where he has to move in to take a short ball and then he has to move out and be ready for the next ball, will help with some of the issues with judging the balls that are coming to him and how to adjust to shots of different pace with different spin.

But, I was hoping someone like NDH, Richie, NextLevel, Takkyu could have a look and see if there was anything useful they could see. All the people on the list have very good eyes and are good at seeing certain things that most of us might miss. And of course, Der_Echte's comment was excellent.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hey, everybody,a

I just watched some minute of forehand play. I think people could help more if you filmed from a different angle, this one is kind of tricky. I also think you guys should try to play with yellow balls, must be difficult now.

If you watch yourself from the side i think you will se that you are almost falling backwards. This give you a harder time moving since you feet comes planted to the ground, more difficult to play forward and maybe why you seem to push the elbow forward(not sure, difficult angle).

For the arm moment i think it looks like you push the elbow forward instead of swinging with the forearm. Maybe one reason for this is that you stand to much to the right so you get the ball to close to the body and are not able to use the forearm. Maybe anotther reason is that you stand almost leaning backwards or not turning the torso. Try to think that is more the racket that should go forward, and not the elbow.

Today i think you barely learn anyone to stand forehandfeet(with left foot in front of the right) due to faster game. I think you could try to put the left foot little in front to easier get the body in the stroke. If you stand like you do now, pararell, i think you should try to turn the feet more to the right and then forward again to be able to get the body in the stroke. Now when you stand pararell and have feet straight it is difficult to use the body. I think the easiest way to get the body in the stroke is to try to have the arm in front of the body, so to able to do so you need to to turn the torso with the arm back, otherwise the arm will be behind the body. You can try to have the left feet in front a little or turn the feet and see when you feel you are able to have the arm in front of the body.

For the next time, try a yellow ball and film from a different angle. I also think it is easier if you film a shorter clip with say forehand loop. Takes so much time to watch a longer one. Still fun. Keep up the good work :)

NDH

says Spin to win!
Hey, everybody,

Hey Mivan, sorry for not replying sooner!

I'll echo what others have said, but I think it's important you don't try and focus on improving everything at once.

If you do, I think you'll end up overthinking every shot, and lose your natural rhythm.

So, these are just some of the things I would look to improve.

1. Where your weight is.

On the vast majority of shots, your weight is on your heels which makes it impossible to get good power from the torso and legs.

Rather than over explaining this one (which I'm sure I'd do very badly), just take a look at some pros "knocking up" - They are all low, leaning forward with their head towards the ball. It will feel weird at first, but it'll give you more options down the line.

2. Too much "arm" in your shots.

Power comes from the legs and the torso, so this is linked to point 1. The majority of your "powerful" forehands, had little to no power from the legs or torso - It was just a bigger/faster swing of the arm.

You will be able to get much better accuracy, spin, power and efficiency if you can get your legs and torso into it - The arm just comes along for the ride :)

3. Bat grip is very high.

This is slightly subjective, but one of the things that helped me when I had coaching, was holding the bat slightly looser and not super "choked up" on the blade.

It's especially useful for the Forehand down the line, when you've previously been hitting cross table.

I also think it'll eliminate some of the "lollipop" technique you currently have (where the wrist bends upwards towards your body).

I'm sure everyone has seen players who look like they have a SUPER uncomfortable action, where their wrist is being forcefully straightened/cocked...... Well that's pretty much how all the pro's do it, they just make it look more natural.

4. Serve position.

Unless it's the camera angle, you seem to serve with your body in the middle of the table.

Ultimately, it comes down to what your strategy is here, but when you serve standing in the middle, it's very easy to pin you on your backhand (which, actually seemed very controlled and comfortable during the games).

But it looked like you wanted to get on your forehand, so I'd take a couple of steps back on your serve position.

If I want my 2nd shot to be forehand, I'll be serving with no part of my body within the table (except my hand).

Just don't do a serve that they can smack down the line 😀

Hopefully that gives you some things to think about, and with some small tweaks, I think you'll improve a huge amount!

Great work!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hi allI have been following this thread with great interest and have found it very helpful on my journey back into TT so have decided to take the plunge and post my first video footage from last nights lesson.By way of context, I played competitively as a youngster and have had brief spells since then where I have focused for a few months. Last December I decided to give it a more committed go and have been playing around 6h/week since then including an hour of coaching each week. I have ben playing in a local league team for the last 2 months to gain match experience.Some of my observations on this video;1. FH has a notable "screw" to it2. BH follow through is too high and finishes in an odd position - need to rotate around the elbow more?3. Footwork looks clumsy in faster multi ball drills4. All strokes look a little "jerky" and not very smoothI would really appreciate any and all observations from those in this thread who can comment - I am committed to improving my performance and strokes.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!

Hey Peter - Great video!

It's always tricky when someone is fortunate enough to have a coach, because my initial instinct is to always trust the coach 100% - Perhaps they haven't pointed things out yet, because they don't want you to overthink etc (fix one issue at a time and so on).

So I'd just be a little wary of that!

That being said, I think there are a couple of things you could change that would instantly make a difference, without being drastic, though provoking changes.

1. Bend those knees 😁

Get lower on all shots if you can, it'll really help.

2. Forehand technique.

You've already highlighted this, and I bet being able to see yourself on camera has already helped a huge amount? Generally people play very differently in their head, to how they actually play in real life!

It looks like you hold the bat quite tight, with a bias towards "coming around" the forehand shot a little bit, which will add side spin to the ball.

You then come right across your body, often ending up near your left shoulder.

The minute someone gives you a heavy backspin shot, that ball is going straight in the net if you do this.

Instead, try and get more of the power from the legs and torso, and when you do the cross court forehand, try and rotate your body (whilst bending your knees) much more, so your technique stays the same.

On those forehands you were doing at the start of the video, you don't really want your bat going too far past your eyeline - That extra power you are trying to put in is currently coming from your arm (causing the extended stroke), and not the legs, torso.

But look, it's amazing you've got a 1-2-1 coach, your drills look solid, and you'll improve huge amounts in a short space of time with how much you are playing.

Looking forward to the progress videos, and subsequent "Rocky Montage" this time next year! 😁

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Hey Peter - Great video!

It's always tricky when someone is fortunate enough to have a coach, because my initial instinct is to always trust the coach 100% - Perhaps they haven't pointed things out yet, because they don't want you to overthink etc (fix one issue at a time and so on).

So I'd just be a little wary of that!

That being said, I think there are a couple of things you could change that would instantly make a difference, without being drastic, though provoking changes.

1. Bend those knees 😁

Get lower on all shots if you can, it'll really help.

2. Forehand technique.

You've already highlighted this, and I bet being able to see yourself on camera has already helped a huge amount? Generally people play very differently in their head, to how they actually play in real life!

It looks like you hold the bat quite tight, with a bias towards "coming around" the forehand shot a little bit, which will add side spin to the ball.

You then come right across your body, often ending up near your left shoulder.

The minute someone gives you a heavy backspin shot, that ball is going straight in the net if you do this.

Instead, try and get more of the power from the legs and torso, and when you do the cross court forehand, try and rotate your body (whilst bending your knees) much more, so your technique stays the same.

On those forehands you were doing at the start of the video, you don't really want your bat going too far past your eyeline - That extra power you are trying to put in is currently coming from your arm (causing the extended stroke), and not the legs, torso.

But look, it's amazing you've got a 1-2-1 coach, your drills look solid, and you'll improve huge amounts in a short space of time with how much you are playing.

Looking forward to the progress videos, and subsequent "Rocky Montage" this time next year! 😁

Thanks very much NDH - appreciate the feedback.

My coach is keeping feedback on my technique fairly limited so I am happy to review and make some changes myself.

1. Grip - funnily enough I have tried to loosen my grip and make it more neutral last few weeks - obviously needs more work

2. The cross body is a really good observation, particularly on cross court - I will work on that. Where is the ideal bat finish point on FH?

3. The old knees - yep, I will try and get lower

Thanks again.

P

NDH

says Spin to win!
Thanks very much NDH - appreciate the feedback.

My coach is keeping feedback on my technique fairly limited so I am happy to review and make some changes myself.

1. Grip - funnily enough I have tried to loosen my grip and make it more neutral last few weeks - obviously needs more work

2. The cross body is a really good observation, particularly on cross court - I will work on that. Where is the ideal bat finish point on FH?

3. The old knees - yep, I will try and get lower

Thanks again.

P

You are going to get different answers to that one, so I'll try and cover the various context to this...... (and I've been hounded before for saying this, so strap in!)

The vast majority of people watching the very good players online...... Inevitably focus on the very best (the Chinese).

Now, the Chinese style (which is what I'll call it for ease), is different to the "European" style (also many Japanese, American etc).....

With the Chinese style, the arm tends to be straighter (for Forehand), with a lot of focus on speed, low gravity, footwork and rotation.

I don't care what anyone says..... But this is a high intensity style, that simply isn't suited for the vast majority of players.

The only reason I bring this up, is because I've seen people in the past comment with their "advice" and they expect someone like yourself to play like Ma Long.....

Now, if I were your coach, I'd be telling you to not let your bat drift much past your left eye (big generalisation of course, some shots will be different).

But on that drill you were doing with FH down the line, FH cross court - The cross court shot brought your arm very sideways across your body, which is bad for a few reasons.

1. Good luck trying to get into position if someone blocks it back to you.

2. Too much emphasis on arm power.

3. Against backspin, you'll really struggle to lift the ball.

So what I'd focus on with that one shot in particular, is to try and keep the exact same technique as the down the line shot, but rotate your body more, to allow you to go cross court.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

You are going to get different answers to that one, so I'll try and cover the various context to this...... (and I've been hounded before for saying this, so strap in!)

The vast majority of people watching the very good players online...... Inevitably focus on the very best (the Chinese).

Now, the Chinese style (which is what I'll call it for ease), is different to the "European" style (also many Japanese, American etc).....

With the Chinese style, the arm tends to be straighter (for Forehand), with a lot of focus on speed, low gravity, footwork and rotation.

I don't care what anyone says..... But this is a high intensity style, that simply isn't suited for the vast majority of players.

The only reason I bring this up, is because I've seen people in the past comment with their "advice" and they expect someone like yourself to play like Ma Long.....

Now, if I were your coach, I'd be telling you to not let your bat drift much past your left eye (big generalisation of course, some shots will be different).

But on that drill you were doing with FH down the line, FH cross court - The cross court shot brought your arm very sideways across your body, which is bad for a few reasons.

1. Good luck trying to get into position if someone blocks it back to you.

2. Too much emphasis on arm power.

3. Against backspin, you'll really struggle to lift the ball.

So what I'd focus on with that one shot in particular, is to try and keep the exact same technique as the down the line shot, but rotate your body more, to allow you to go cross court.

I hear you - much as I like the Chinese FH style, it's probably a step too far right now..

I think if I aim to limit my follow through to my left eye and make that the target, then I have something to visualise and aim at so to speak.

Many thanks.

NDH

says Spin to win!

I hear you - much as I like the Chinese FH style, it's probably a step too far right now..

I think if I aim to limit my follow through to my left eye and make that the target, then I have something to visualise and aim at so to speak.

Many thanks.

There is always going to be an element of "do as I say, not as I do" with situations like this..... But hopefully the below video will help.

At the end of the day, there are plenty of videos of young, fit, well coached professionals, who all play a very similar style.

Whilst it's obviously good to imitate some of them where possible, it's usually, not that realistic.

The below video is me (red shirt) who I would say plays a fairly traditional Euro style vs a guy who plays a more Chinese style.

I've not re watched the whole thing, but most of my forehand shots end up near eye level (one exception being the inside out forehand cross court).

At the same time, you can then compare my technique with his (his looks prettier and more Chinese-like), but that's not how I've been coached.