Video Footage Safe Thread

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
There are a lot things I could say, but things will get easier and more consistent with your lower power shot (looks like you are going for 20-30 percent power)... would be easier if the grip is loose with only a tiny firming at impact when ball hits the strike zone.

Reactions: Dominikk85
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Yeah I'm swinging pretty slow. If i swing faster i feel my technique gets even worse and i miss a lot more.

Would you recommend swinging faster even if it means missing a lot more shots?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
First comment: the metal net is awesome. Love the chimes sound when you hit it.

Are you using the same grip in both videos. I know it's penhold, but the position looked different. Might just be the angle. Anyway, you need to be able to play both strokes with the same grip.

Knowing nothing of penhold the only other thing I can say is that in the fh vid it looks like you are moving just before the robot throws a ball. I applaud you for moving in a robot drill. But maybe wait until the ball is thrown. It's more realistic, but mainly it tends to make your stroke flow more smoothly if there is no pause.

And fwiw, I don't think you should be in a hurry to speed up your swing. Let the slow swing get more consistent. And slow should help you stay relaxed while you adjust to the new grip, imo.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl

NDH

says Spin to win!

I am wondering: why are you commenting on YouTube tutorials and linking to something about growing instagram followers in a thread that is for TTD members to post footage of themselves playing? Was there a purpose to this post?

Pretty sure it was a bot. There were loads of pointless posts by them. There’s been a lot of them recently!

@Dominikk85, do you usually play penhold?

I have little to offer on the technique side of things. My only advice would be to film the clips in landscape if you can 😃

Reactions: pgpg
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
First comment: the metal net is awesome. Love the chimes sound when you hit it.

Are you using the same grip in both videos. I know it's penhold, but the position looked different. Might just be the angle. Anyway, you need to be able to play both strokes with the same grip.

Knowing nothing of penhold the only other thing I can say is that in the fh vid it looks like you are moving just before the robot throws a ball. I applaud you for moving in a robot drill. But maybe wait until the ball is thrown. It's more realistic, but mainly it tends to make your stroke flow more smoothly if there is no pause.

And fwiw, I don't think you should be in a hurry to speed up your swing. Let the slow swing get more consistent. And slow should help you stay relaxed while you adjust to the new grip, imo.

Yes i did use the same grip. I tried to move back to the middle after every shot so I'm not just standing around but I still moved to the ball too early. Next time i will try to wait until it shoots the ball. Robot is a super cheap 20 bucks toy from china but better than nothing.

Will try nextnext time a more lose grip and move into position more realistically after the ball is shoot before I work on more fine points of technique

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What is your equipment? I think your backhand looks nice but it seems like you are afraid of closing the angle and brushing forward. If the rubber have to little grip, you will begin to hit upward since the ball will go in the net. If your rubber is fine I think you can do the same but go more forward.

It is very obvious on your forehand that you have the elbow to close to the body so arm is tense and get no movement in the forearm. Think like how you would do if you would throw the racket up to your neighbors roof. Your power and spin will increase a lot I think but just letting the arm out and relaxing it.

kepp up the good work.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yeah I'm swinging pretty slow. If i swing faster i feel my technique gets even worse and i miss a lot more.

Would you recommend swinging faster even if it means missing a lot more shots?

Hi Dominik,

I would recommend to to something near a full stroke at lower power (30 percent or so just like you are doing) and loosen grip. You don't have to have arm at 90 degree angle, right now it may feel esaier to control the shot doing it that way, but you need to develop the biomechanics and timing for a better whip.

One of the pundit ways is to do it lower power fisrt and incrementally increase power as your consistency gets better.

Your looser grip and not so much firming at impact and focusing on getting ball into the strike zone will help your consistency, which is something a lot of us would ask to strive for.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Pretty sure it was a bot. There were loads of pointless posts by them. There’s been a lot of them recently!
Yeah. When I think something is a bot, or a person who is just there to spam, I will frequently ask it a question and wait to see if I get an answer. By doing that while removing the link, sometimes I get a clearer picture. I would rather not make someone disappear if there is a chance they are real. So, I can be patient. :)

Reactions: NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Made another video. Tried a more relaxed hand and have elbow farther from the body but elbow is still pretty bent. Also tried to move later into position which not always worked.

Also added a bit of "short game" (pushes, flicks).
Regarding some questions that people asked in this thread:

- Before I have played shakehand but also not very good

-equipment is very cheap, friendship ritc rubbers and yinhe ec14 cs version, but rubbers are tacky and you can spin the ball. I intentionally got a slower rubber first.

Not sure why it is hard for me to extend the arm more.

​​​

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
For a short push, get to the ball bounce spot on your side (a few cm behind the bounce) and stop the arm, keep grip real loose.

If you want to push it deep, approach ball similar, but let it com up halfway to the net or so and use only a tiny stroke. You tiny arm and wrist whip along with a little firming at impact will make that ball fly of your bat easy enough.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
So not use the whole arm so much for the push but doing a shorter mive mostly with the wrist?
​​​​

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Hi Dominik, I advocate for a step in with a bent arm, extend it to straight if ball is extreme short and that is the only way to get to the bounce.

If you are doing a short push, you simply step in, get the bat to the spot (a couple cm behind the bounce) and hold the bat there with a light grip... that is all that is needed for the ball to go back short. Of course, there are bat angles to consider for different speeds, but when you are this close to the ball and you have done it enough, it gets real easy. Key is to be losse, do not move the bat (no swing) and there there right before the ball.

If you are doing a long push, it is different. The approach is similar (your step, pretty much the timing - but a tad later, and your relaxed arm bend) (if you can use some arm bend and still get to teh bounce)... but there is a stroke involved on a deep push. I support the stroke that is NOT any significant arm or wrist swing. I advocate for a very small movement of arm and wrist (and not very much wrist) to make a real tiny whip. The key is the timing of impact on the rise, the timing of impact on the very end of the tiny whip, and a firming at impact of grip. You do not need very much arm or wrist movement to make a deep push. Your tiny whip and your grip can really make that ball fly. (and spin)

Reactions: Dominikk85
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I have another question on technique. In a normal forehand loop should the arm go more forward or more up?

See this video to see what i mean. More version 1 (up) or 2 (forward)?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I still think it is more important that move your forearm. So have it pretty straight and snap it together. So do not move the whole elbow so much, move the forearm. Will not be able to get any spin otherwise and will probably get problem with your shoulder if you practice alot.

Against backspin you often need to go a bit more up, but against counter and topspin i think you should try to go more forward. The opponent will not have any problem if you loop high. A good miss against counter or topspin is putting the ball in the net.

NDH

says Spin to win!
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Yeah i just tried to isolate the forearm move.

Btw are dima and timo even use their forearm?

To me it looks dima starts a bit above 90 degrees and also finishes there. Or do I see that wrong
​​ ]
Screenshot-20220110-122729-com-android-chrome.jpg
[/url] [/img][/url]

Last edited: