Video Footage Safe Thread

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
I am also not allowed to comment in this thread, but I just do it because I have some time. ^ㅡ^First thing, ask your coach or any other nice 'better' player, or even youtube to 'teach' you about spin and which motion produces what kind of it. I am pretty sure your service receive will improve. Also don't be too hectic when receiving. People underestimate how much time they usually have when receiving a serve. Take it a bit later, it will give you more time to read the spin, and at the same time will lose some of its quality.Second, I only watched the first three sets, you are not ready for the return after hitting the ball. Get into a ready position! With that I don't mean a neutral position, but get ready to play the next ball. You looked always kinda surpised by the return hit of the opponent/under time pressure because you were not ready to hit the next ball. You try to compensate for that by stepping away from the table to gain more 'reacting' time. I for example always get ready to play backhand next, because my switch to forehand is quite fast and also usually, due to the way the forehand works, has 'higher flexible timing'. Sorry, for my english btw. I am not a native speaker.Third, from the middle of the second set, you started to play from 'memory'. Not a bad thing, but if you really want to reach a higher level, you need to learn to use both, playing from memory and deciding 'on the spot'.This are three pointers you asked for. So I stop here. :)

P.S.: This is completely my personal opinion and observation. I didn't read any bestseller table tennis teaching book neither do I hold a very high coaching license nor have I been headcoach of any professional team. ;)

Last edited:
I am also not allowed to comment in this thread, but I just do it because I have some time. ^ㅡ^First thing, ask your coach or any other nice 'better' player, or even youtube to 'teach' you about spin and which motion produces what kind of it. I am pretty sure your service receive will improve. Also don't be too hectic when receiving. People underestimate how much time they usually have when receiving a serve. Take it a bit later, it will give you more time to read the spin, and at the same time will lose some of its quality.Second, I only watched the first three sets, you are not ready for the return after hitting the ball. Get into a ready position! With that I don't mean a neutral position, but get ready to play the next ball. You looked always kinda surpised by the return hit of the opponent/under time pressure because you were not ready to hit the next ball. You try to compensate for that by stepping away from the table to gain more 'reacting' time. I for example always get ready to play backhand next, because my switch to forehand is quite fast and also usually, due to the way the forehand works, has 'higher flexible timing'. Sorry, for my english btw. I am not a native speaker.Third, from the middle of the second set, you started to play from 'memory'. Not a bad thing, but if you really want to reach a higher level, you need to learn to use both, playing from memory and deciding 'on the spot'.This are three pointers you asked for. So I stop here. :)

P.S.: This is completely my personal opinion and observation. I didn't read any bestseller table tennis teaching book neither do I hold a very high coaching license nor have I been headcoach of any professional team. ;)

Schlafftablette,

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch my video & point out three areas for improvements

I concur with you on each of your three points

I want to watch the video again tomorrow & see exactly what you mean

QUESTION:

What do you mean by "playing from memory?" i really want to reach a higher level!

btw, as you indicated English is not your native tongue

know that pinga ponga is not my native sport 🤣

have a great day buDDy & thank you for helping me out!

oh, don't forget to answer my question pls 👍

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
LDM7,

Schlafftablette prolly plays a couple levels better than JZ or James... of course higher playing does not always translate into that high level player articulating and getting other training player to understand and buy in and perform, but Schlafftablette can do that, listen carefully and examine what he says.

Reactions: LDM7
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
Good evening everyone.Below are my latest video. I'll start with the first video which is my FH drive as well as warm-up.
Below is Video No, 2 which is my BH drive. I have been talking about how my coach wants my BH to be. Here is the visual. I had always said my coach wants me to hit at the bounce and near table.
Video No. 3 is drill where my coach will give random FH or BH underspin and I have to open up with either BH or FH loop then counter-drive until either of us ends the point.
Video No. 4 is a drill where I serve and my coach will push randomly to my FH or BH side. I will then have to open up with loop and then counter-drive until the point ends.
You'll notice now my coach is doing a lot of random drill because I requested him to do it. I am sold on the idea that randomness is more effective for improvement. Thanks to Carl for showing me that video about training randomness is better than pre-set drill.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021
This part is for those who prefer the short and concise version, specially catered to those TL,DR crowd.

Video No. 1: BH drive ( 35 secs video )

Video No. 2: FH / BH random drill ( 24 secs )
Video No. 3: Serve & attack ( 28 secs )

P/s For those equipment junkie type, I am using Andro's Rasanter R48 EC ( black ) & Xiom Vega Europe ( Red )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Schlafftablette,

Thank you very much for taking the time to watch my video & point out three areas for improvements

I concur with you on each of your three points

I want to watch the video again tomorrow & see exactly what you mean

QUESTION:

What do you mean by "playing from memory?" i really want to reach a higher level!

btw, as you indicated English is not your native tongue

know that pinga ponga is not my native sport 🤣

have a great day buDDy & thank you for helping me out!

oh, don't forget to answer my question pls 👍

Playing from memory.... Uhm... ok, that's a little more complex topic. There is on one side the muscle memory and on the other side the cognitive memory. In the following I keep it purposly black and white to simplify things. Muscle memory means that the shot quality is purely determined by the muscles. Shot quality is among other things: speed, arch, spin, placement, angle aso. Cognitive memory is when a player sees and recognizes ('remembers') the movement of the opponent player and the ball and processes these to 'usefull' information. Usually cognitive memory happens first which then is followed by muscle memory.
'Better' players gain typically more information from the two sources, opponent movement and ball, and are on top of that able to think of an 'optimal' solution and execute it. ('command their muscles')

I hope this helped to deliver the idea of what I meant by 'playing from memory'.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I am LDM7, a USATT 1200 player

I have been honing my Pinga Ponga skills (lessons) since Jan 2021

This is my first video post (12:13) of a round robin match, losing 2 - 3

Seeking input on 1 ~ 3 things that I did to make the other uncomfortable or losing points and 1 ~ 3 things I should have recognized or adjusted better so I lost less points

Thank you for helping me improve!

How long have you been playing for and what are your TT goals? I know you asked a question but whenever I see an adult hobbyist who has a decent ball control/blocking game, I am usually curious.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

I like what I heard Gonzo

I do not recall any specific TT drills or how to "randomly" practice

Do you have a "sequence" or an example of random practice?

Thanks man!

Hey dude,

The word random means unknown, unplanned or non-sequenced.

How can random practice be sequenced?

The ball feeder or coach must not tell me how he will return the ball to me. That is the main point or benefit or awesomeness of the practice.

Last edited:
says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Easely. For example:
1) coach sends ball 3-5 times (you never know how many) to the left, one to the right
2) push from random side, then loop from another side, then pure random
etc.

Hmmm, yah, perhaps you are right. Usually first two balls is made known just to get the rally going. Or else, both the player and coach will spend more time picking up balls from the floor than actual playing. 😂

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hi all

inposted a thread recently about BH flick advice and got some useful pointers. Below is a video of me practicing it along with BH topspin - I’d love your thoughts on how I can improve either shot.

Hello! I like your training hall. Looks very therapeutic and nice.

BH flick: I think it looks like the ball will be long so you can loop it if you wait? Better to wait and loop if possible, hard to get power in the flip if the ball is too long. If you want to use the flip in game play i think it would be better to get a backspin ball and try to come more on the side of the ball. You need to move the racket very fast to clear the net if you get a little back spin on the ball. I also think you will get more power if you try to squat lower and try to use power from the ground, come closer to the ball and put the elbow in front to get more power.

For the backhand loop it seems like you come from the left leg with the stroke. I think you will only have the time to do this when you get a lot of time. In game play i think it will more beneficial to come from the belly. If this is against topspin, then i think you can try to loop more forward and use the forearm like throwing a frisbee or playing cards.

Good luck.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Hello! I like your training hall. Looks very therapeutic and nice.

BH flick: I think it looks like the ball will be long so you can loop it if you wait? Better to wait and loop if possible, hard to get power in the flip if the ball is too long. If you want to use the flip in game play i think it would be better to get a backspin ball and try to come more on the side of the ball. You need to move the racket very fast to clear the net if you get a little back spin on the ball. I also think you will get more power if you try to squat lower and try to use power from the ground, come closer to the ball and put the elbow in front to get more power.

For the backhand loop it seems like you come from the left leg with the stroke. I think you will only have the time to do this when you get a lot of time. In game play i think it will more beneficial to come from the belly. If this is against topspin, then i think you can try to loop more forward and use the forearm like throwing a frisbee or playing cards.

Good luck.

Thanks Lula - 100% on the flick vs topspin. I was just trying to set a ball that I could get back with relative ease but I know I wouldn't be flicking this ball in a match. I have been practicing vs back and sidespin since then (much harder)

Topspin - I have been focusing on left leg start since seeing it in Dan's recent video as a pointer, but I totally get the point re time in a match as I already feel this a lot when trying to hit backhand drives.