Video Footage Safe Thread

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hey guys, I hope you 're doing great.
I started creating content about table tennis.
I'm a penholder left-handed player and any feedback about my content is most appreciated.

This thread if for people posting footage and wanting constructive feedback on their technique. I am not sure you are asking for that. So, this is probably the wrong place for this vide. But......

Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Hey guys, I hope you 're doing great.
I started creating content about table tennis.
I'm a penholder left-handed player and any feedback about my content is most appreciated.

@Upsidedowncarl we can give him some advice!

Hey! i think you move well being somewhat tall(i think?)! You also seem to get good quality from the strokes. I notice that if you miss it often goes out so good that you try to notice what is happening an adjust.
It looks like you drop the racket a bit everytime you do the stroke, i think this worked when Stellan played or even when i was young(30 now), but i think it is good to try to keep the racket over the table as much as possible. The tempo here is not so fast, if you play faster tempo or against a better opponent i think it can be difficult to continue to attack if you drop the racket to much. Try do multiball at a faster speed and see how it goes. Maybe it also depends on how close to the table you want to play. Your countryman Kanak Jha is in my opinion very very extreme with high racket so proably have some trouble at slower balls but have no trouble when the opponent play hard and with high tempo, like Harimoto who he won against recently.

Pretty fun with an american that play penhold! I know this thread is mostly for commenting about videos but a short story about how you started to play penhold would be cool. I asked Felix Lebrun at my clubs tournament the latest time we played it: i asked if he had a chinese coach and he answered with no, i saw it on TV and i though it looked cool haha.

Keep up the good work

says Stronger in 2023 🥳
says Stronger in 2023 🥳
Aug 2014

Hey! i think you move well being somewhat tall(i think?)! You also seem to get good quality from the strokes. I notice that if you miss it often goes out so good that you try to notice what is happening an adjust.
It looks like you drop the racket a bit everytime you do the stroke, i think this worked when Stellan played or even when i was young(30 now), but i think it is good to try to keep the racket over the table as much as possible. The tempo here is not so fast, if you play faster tempo or against a better opponent i think it can be difficult to continue to attack if you drop the racket to much. Try do multiball at a faster speed and see how it goes. Maybe it also depends on how close to the table you want to play. Your countryman Kanak Jha is in my opinion very very extreme with high racket so proably have some trouble at slower balls but have no trouble when the opponent play hard and with high tempo, like Harimoto who he won against recently.

Pretty fun with an american that play penhold! I know this thread is mostly for commenting about videos but a short story about how you started to play penhold would be cool. I asked Felix Lebrun at my clubs tournament the latest time we played it: i asked if he had a chinese coach and he answered with no, i saw it on TV and i though it looked cool haha.

Keep up the good work

Thank you so much for your feedback.
I will keep in mind the part dropping too much the Paddle.
I 'm working that part with Stellan too. Regards

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Ooohh. My mistake.
Got it.

Keep up the good work

Excellent post Lula. Your post was what I was hoping for when I put the "But......" at the end of my comment. And I am glad someone took up the challenge. :)

It is nice to see the video. I just figured Victor should know, he may get more people looking at his videos if he started a new thread to show his TT Video Content. It is fine for it to be here too. But since he is trying to get people to look at the videos on his YouTube Channel and the kind of TT content he is creating, he may want to start a thread with a title something like: "My Table Tennis Channel on YouTube".

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: VictorMoraga
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
hi guys
its been some time i've not been posting
i played yesterday with my coach
i put in the description some links to the best parts

coach is in EASY mode, can i win it ? my confidence improved a lot recently.

i played the next day (= today) in a round-robin format tournament and had a very good day (6V1D), with my rating recovering quite a lot from a slump last year. have some video footage might post later if its worth it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

I am aware of the thread rules and that's why I didn't comment technique wise and of course I can't be of any constructive help therefore.
For what is worth I find all comments including yours valid and constructive but most were concentrating on FH (except Brs who tackled BH issues). I was surprised by that and just naively wanted to remind allowed reviewers that they maybe forgot to comment the BH side?
I wasn't aware that it was intentional and thought that Wrighty67 will pick the stuff he wants to work on and people will comment all the stuff they see. After all he was brave to expose himself and deserves all the suggestions he can get for that.
But you are right that it's probably better to filter and provide feedback for one thing at a time. It makes sense that I'm not allowed to review 😀

My intention wasn't criticizing anyone and I hope Wrighty67 didn't see it that way.

TLDR
Forget about my comment, sorry

Now where were we, aha yes about that BH... 😁

Please don’t worry on my account dajdosta, I know you meant well and you have my curiosity piqued now so I hope you do find the time to send your thoughts to Carl so maybe I can see them.

thanks for watching.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Technique advice will not help with a tournament in two days. If anything it will only cause problems to think about it. Just play and have fun.

If you want something to work on at a tournament, you could do a lot worse than Tahl Leibovitz's PEZ idea from PingPong for Fighters.

Placement
Extend the rally
Zero unforced errors

I had a horrible tournament results wise I’m afraid, some very high level local players who shut me out of finding any rhythm.

That book however looks very interesting and I’ve just downloaded it so thanks for the recommendation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Hi, Wrighty67.

I think you put in a lot of effort and that it would help if your coach worked with you on improving your technique. You are engaging too much upper arm on the forehand. it is costing you some things. On the backhand, you have a decent shot, but there are things you could do to improve it.

The problem though, and this is why many coaches don't try to fix technique in adults, is that it is hard to break habits without either slowing down a lot or missing the table/ball for an extended period of time. So most adults, rather than do what the coach shows them, usually end up trying to hit the ball on the table, and this results in their using the only stroke that give them reasonable accuracy, which is their current stroke which they are trying to fix. To learn a new stroke, you need to learn the motion first and then try to adjust the motion to the spin.

I get what Richie, who is a far better player than I am is telling you about finishing position. That said there is a general reason why it is encouraged that you salute at your left or right eyebrow on most shots - it is because the racket is lined up with the ball longer and you whiff less when your timing gets challenged (especially on backspin for example). If you were to look at your current stroke, you line up with the ball for a short period then come across your body to trap the spin. This results in a a good contact somewhat but in addition to adding sidespin, you put far less spin and speed into the ball than you could. The main cause is your backswing is with the upper arm and not with the twist/lunge of the left foot.

There are variety of things you could try - one is stepping back from the table. but regardlessm whatever stroke your use, what you need to do is to get the stroke and then use it to hit the ball and accept that you will either hit the ball long or into the net at the beginning. But atter that, rather than change the stroke completely, just decide where on the ball you want to hit. If you hit on top of the ball more, the ball stays lower and more towards table or even the net. If you swing upwards at the back of the ball a bit more, the ball tends to lift higher and go longer. Then all you need to do is read the incoming spin and decide how to adjust your swing to the ball. It is a long and painful process, but it is very much worth it if you have time and patience.

All that said, if you want to keep your current strokes and just have fun, many players do that and are perfectly fine. I just agree with BRS that it is a bit unfortunate to pay for lessons and then not get taught to hit the ball correctly to a better degree than you currently do. That said, as a coach, I can understand the psychological issues associated with change and why some coaches give up on adult learners.

Thanks NL for the constructive feedback. I’m the sort of player who really focuses on technique and I have a drive to produce good looking and technically correct shots, so I’m happy to commit to the work required. My challenge will be getting my coach to take this on and move away from fast multi ball drills and strategy work. I’ll have the conversation next week.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

I had a horrible tournament results wise I’m afraid, some very high level local players who shut me out of finding any rhythm.

That book however looks very interesting and I’ve just downloaded it so thanks for the recommendation.

Table tennis is extremely difficult and if you played significantly higher level players than you, then you really never had a chance. The USATT system, for all its flaws, does have the benefit that ratings tend to put you in a competitive range when they are accurate.

The one thing that I can say with hindsight is that I spent way too much time focused on tactics rather than finding the right balance of technique and tactics. Therefore, I failed to realize that I could have improved much earlier if I had adopted good technical shots with spin and that many of my limitations were tied to adopting limiting technique for way too long. I am sure BRS had a similar experience.

One of the challenges you will have as I look at your videos more is that you exert a lot of physical effort with the upper body and play with strength in your arms rather than relaxed whippy motions that transfer energy from the body. A table tennis stroke is more like a golf swing or a frisbee toss where you transfer power all the way into fingers to generate a whippy motion than than a tight punch with a flexed bicep (though martial arts punches do tend to mimic the same philosophy as table tennis swings in terms of use of the hips/legs to generate power with kinetic chains). Part of the reason why people who start really young learn to hit the ball correctly is that they can only hit powerful balls by using their whole bodies. Adults can get way with hitting decent shots with muscular tension, but with the side effect of using the wrong body parts which can't sustain powerful shots consistently and easily during a match.

The last thing I will say is that when people play a bad match while learning table tennis, they think that something could have been different if they tried harder. This is so far from the truth but it is hard for them to see it. No one would claim they could fix a computer if they just tried harder but in TT, they think it makes sense. Becoming good at TT is in *some* ways as complicated as learning to fix a computer.

I remember when a semi-professional (if anyone is curious he is a short-pips forehand player whose surname begins with L and is popular in the NJ area) used to visit my university in the late 1990s when I was a college student. I tried to play him and he always beat me badly without trying. And I kept trying harder and he beat me without trying even more, sometimes with dismissive annoyance. I then picked up tournament TT in 2011 and I beat the older version of the same player sometime in maybe 2013 or 2014, after years of training and improvement (and of course, he had slowed down quite a bit in his 50s and 60s). I then appreciated truly how little chance I really had in the 1990s comparing the evolution of my game and seeing how much time it took me to get to a level when I could even compete. But some people seeing me in older age actually thought I played worse than I did when I was younger because I was older and less athletic too, but I had improved so much in technique and reading the ball! A lot of TT is invisible to the untrained eye.

Good luck!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

Table tennis is extremely difficult and if you played significantly higher level players than you, then you really never had a chance. The USATT system, for all its flaws, does have the benefit that ratings tend to put you in a competitive range when they are accurate.

The one thing that I can say with hindsight is that I spent way too much time focused on tactics rather than finding the right balance of technique and tactics. Therefore, I failed to realize that I could have improved much earlier if I had adopted good technical shots with spin and that many of my limitations were tied to adopting limiting technique for way too long. I am sure BRS had a similar experience.

One of the challenges you will have as I look at your videos more is that you exert a lot of physical effort with the upper body and play with strength in your arms rather than relaxed whippy motions that transfer energy from the body. A table tennis stroke is more like a golf swing or a frisbee toss where you transfer power all the way into fingers to generate a whippy motion than than a tight punch with a flexed bicep (though martial arts punches do tend to mimic the same philosophy as table tennis swings in terms of use of the hips/legs to generate power with kinetic chains). Part of the reason why people who start really young learn to hit the ball correctly is that they can only hit powerful balls by using their whole bodies. Adults can get way with hitting decent shots with muscular tension, but with the side effect of using the wrong body parts which can't sustain powerful shots consistently and easily during a match.

The last thing I will say is that when people play a bad match while learning table tennis, they think that something could have been different if they tried harder. This is so far from the truth but it is hard for them to see it. No one would claim they could fix a computer if they just tried harder but in TT, they think it makes sense. Becoming good at TT is in *some* ways as complicated as learning to fix a computer.

I remember when a semi-professional (if anyone is curious he is a short-pips forehand player whose surname begins with L and is popular in the NJ area) used to visit my university in the late 1990s when I was a college student. I tried to play him and he always beat me badly without trying. And I kept trying harder and he beat me without trying even more, sometimes with dismissive annoyance. I then picked up tournament TT in 2011 and I beat the older version of the same player sometime in maybe 2013 or 2014, after years of training and improvement (and of course, he had slowed down quite a bit in his 50s and 60s). I then appreciated truly how little chance I really had in the 1990s comparing the evolution of my game and seeing how much time it took me to get to a level when I could even compete. But some people seeing me in older age actually thought I played worse than I did when I was younger because I was older and less athletic too, but I had improved so much in technique and reading the ball! A lot of TT is invisible to the untrained eye.

Good luck!

Thank you for such a considered and supportive post. I felt very flat and a bit shellshocked after Sunday and even had a knock with my son later in the day at home just to check I could still play the way I felt I could - thankfully I was back to being able to hit the ball fairly well!

What amazed me in this tournament group was just how little I was able to "get" to any of my shots - I have a strong (if technically challenged) FH and win lots of points on it against players of a similar level - but I hit it maybe 4-5 times across 4 matches. When I watched the others play each other (round robin) it looked fairly simple and consistent, but it wasn't for me that day.

It was however a valuable learning experience and served to back up what has been said before on this thread, and repeated by you just now - get the technique down.

I have mailed my coach, sent him my video clip and requested we re-focus on FH/BH drive basics & footwork.

I need to find a way of de-actvating the muscular control I put in unconsciously and relaxing the swing of the bat - I will focus on that at tonights practice.

Thanks again.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
What amazed me in this tournament group was just how little I was able to "get" to any of my shots - I have a strong (if technically challenged) FH and win lots of points on it against players of a similar level - but I hit it maybe 4-5 times across 4 matches. When I watched the others play each other (round robin) it looked fairly simple and consistent, but it wasn't for me that day.

It truly is amazing how infinite the gradations of level are in this sport. When you see people playing and it looks simple and consistent you should be very afraid. Most of us look awful. The average point lasts maybe three shots, with lots of receive errors. Table tennis is so ridiculously hard, just keeping the ball on the table five or six times with decent spin shows serious skill. Still there were probably other players in the hall who would make the best in your group feel like they never held a bat before. There will always be people in a whole other class from you, no matter how good you get. Don't let it get you down.

Your ability to hit the ball probably did not change at all. Unless you were super nervous, then sometimes it is you. But the other 99% of the time it is the opponent deliberately stopping you from playing your game. This is why I disagree slightly with NextLevel about tactics. I wish I had thought more about both technique AND tactics as a beginner, instead of just playing 100s of matches like a mindless idiot. It was NL who told me, maybe in 2014, that every serve should have some purpose, to bring back an expected receive. I had no idea. NL also told me not to serve sidespin into long pimples, for which I am forever grateful. I don't think the dividing line between technique and tactics is as clear and bright as some people do. And I have seen far too many players moaning that their strokes aren't working today, they forgot how to hit a forehand or whatever, and never noticing the thing their opponent is doing to mess them up.
Techniques apply to specific game situations. Trying to learn technique separate from those situations cost me a lot of time. Applying the wrong technique to a situation cost me a lot of matches.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

It truly is amazing how infinite the gradations of level are in this sport. When you see people playing and it looks simple and consistent you should be very afraid. Most of us look awful. The average point lasts maybe three shots, with lots of receive errors. Table tennis is so ridiculously hard, just keeping the ball on the table five or six times with decent spin shows serious skill. Still there were probably other players in the hall who would make the best in your group feel like they never held a bat before. There will always be people in a whole other class from you, no matter how good you get. Don't let it get you down.

Your ability to hit the ball probably did not change at all. Unless you were super nervous, then sometimes it is you. But the other 99% of the time it is the opponent deliberately stopping you from playing your game. This is why I disagree slightly with NextLevel about tactics. I wish I had thought more about both technique AND tactics as a beginner, instead of just playing 100s of matches like a mindless idiot. It was NL who told me, maybe in 2014, that every serve should have some purpose, to bring back an expected receive. I had no idea. NL also told me not to serve sidespin into long pimples, for which I am forever grateful. I don't think the dividing line between technique and tactics is as clear and bright as some people do. And I have seen far too many players moaning that their strokes aren't working today, they forgot how to hit a forehand or whatever, and never noticing the thing their opponent is doing to mess them up.
Techniques apply to specific game situations. Trying to learn technique separate from those situations cost me a lot of time. Applying the wrong technique to a situation cost me a lot of matches.

That's a very good point - I was watching the two best in the group (One of whom was a tournament favourite) play each other and just saw 6-8 stroke push dominated rallies, before one of them found a gap and increased tempo - it looked simple but as you say, it was high quality play but not like watching top pro's who seem to open up very very early.

I wasn't that nervous as I am fairly comfortable playing matches, but it did seem to go by in a blur with me more of a spectator than a participant!

I will continue to work on both technique and strategy - thanks for the pointers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

This is 100% correct and is part of what I consider the fastest ways to improve. My first good coach (of late and blessed memory) always tried to blend both. So we did a lot of third ball drills - unfortunately, I was probably to stubborn to understand what he really wanted me to do (and to some degree damaged goods coming from my prior coach), so it was a weird mixed bag. But his focus on drills in the context of matches was helpful. He worked on strokes in isolation as rarely as he could. It was all as part of a "play/strategy" based on his background with basketball.

What I am trying to say though is that when you miss a ball, it is naive to think that you could have made it if you had tried harder with compromised technique. Most of what is missing is tied to footwork and technique and anticipation, and most people think they just swing at the ball, had a chance to put it on the table and didn't. They don't know what they don't know - it is massive gap between self-image and reality and if they had 100 shots, they might have made 5 by luck if that at all. And to be fair, if they practiced that situation more often, their odds would go up even with compromised technique, it would be a fairer battle and they could get to 50%. But to get to the truly easy, they would need decent technique, footwork and anticipation to get over 75% under pressure.

So many players miss "easy balls" without a true concept of what makes a ball "easy" and don't realize that their technique isn't able to solve that problem and their practice of the situation under which the "easy ball" arises is insufficient. When two players are of similar technical level, with no distinguishing significant technical weaknesses, tactics then make sense. That said, tactics can heavily swing a match if an opponent has a significant weakness that your strength can play into, but when players are significantly weaker, this is rare - things just happen too fast and the disparity in ball quality shows up too easily for that weakness to make a difference. All that said, there are classic cases like this... watching Hao Shuai struggle against the lob reminds you of how upsetting something you don't practice against can be even for a top level player...

If your concern was with your tournament, wrighty67 should really have been playing matches against players at the level he was going to face the next day all day long. Doing straight multiball to prepare for a tournament is not really the way to go - it hurts all the things you need to play a match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews

This is 100% correct and is part of what I consider the fastest ways to improve. My first good coach (of late and blessed memory) always tried to blend both. So we did a lot of third ball drills - unfortunately, I was probably to stubborn to understand what he really wanted me to do (and to some degree damaged goods coming from my prior coach), so it was a weird mixed bag. But his focus on drills in the context of matches was helpful. He worked on strokes in isolation as rarely as he could. It was all as part of a "play/strategy" based on his background with basketball.

What I am trying to say though is that when you miss a ball, it is naive to think that you could have made it if you had tried harder with compromised technique. Most of what is missing is tied to footwork and technique and anticipation, and most people think they just swing at the ball, had a chance to put it on the table and didn't. They don't know what they don't know - it is massive gap between self-image and reality and if they had 100 shots, they might have made 5 by luck if that at all. And to be fair, if they practiced that situation more often, their odds would go up even with compromised technique, it would be a fairer battle and they could get to 50%. But to get to the truly easy, they would need decent technique, footwork and anticipation to get over 75% under pressure.

So many players miss "easy balls" without a true concept of what makes a ball "easy" and don't realize that their technique isn't able to solve that problem and their practice of the situation under which the "easy ball" arises is insufficient. When two players are of similar technical level, with no distinguishing significant technical weaknesses, tactics then make sense. That said, tactics can heavily swing a match if an opponent has a significant weakness that your strength can play into, but when players are significantly weaker, this is rare - things just happen too fast and the disparity in ball quality shows up too easily for that weakness to make a difference. All that said, there are classic cases like this... watching Hao Shuai struggle against the lob reminds you of how upsetting something you don't practice against can be even for a top level player...

If your concern was with your tournament, wrighty67 should really have been playing matches against players at the level he was going to face the next day all day long. Doing straight multiball to prepare for a tournament is not really the way to go - it hurts all the things you need to play a match.

Lots to take in here, but I understand the gist of what you are saying. The challenge for me is to take it and distill it into a plan that ensures I make the best returns on my 5h training and 1h coaching/week.

may I ask what you suggest is the best approach to take in the driving my coaching, given that 95% of sessions are currently multi ball drills with spoken strategy advice in between sets. What should I request we do and in what form, to achieve the balance of technique with strategy?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Man, there is a lot of wisdom being spoken here. Thanks BRS and NL. Guilty as charged on many of those points. I've been trying to internalize some of them before, and it has at least made my game much less frustrating. This approach to TT is the way to go imo, both in terms of improvement and enjoyment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Lots to take in here, but I understand the gist of what you are saying. The challenge for me is to take it and distill it into a plan that ensures I make the best returns on my 5h training and 1h coaching/week.

may I ask what you suggest is the best approach to take in the driving my coaching, given that 95% of sessions are currently multi ball drills with spoken strategy advice in between sets. What should I request we do and in what form, to achieve the balance of technique with strategy?

It is a hard question. 6 hours a week is a good amount of.time. A lot of magic will be tied to things you may or may not control. So I will give a broad answer.

Ask your coach what his considered and honest goals for you are. You may not like the honest answer but only an honest coach who just doesn't want to take your money will give you an honest answer. What kind of player does he want to develop.you into? Why are you doing these drills and not some other drills? What does he want to aee before you do other drills? What are the elements of technique he wants you to get right etc.? What does he think multiball is improving for you?

He may have completely different answers from me and atill be a good coach. But a good coach will always be honest about what he has planned for you. Some coaches just don't know how to improve players. For me, I used to just let players train against my ball quality when I felt I couldn't do much for their technique. Or I would get them to read basic serves and make the first block of my first loop. But that kind of coaching is harder than multiball. But it helps players at all levels in terms of match play because even if they suck at doing what I described, it is still training them in the context of how a point evolves. In doing so, I would try to tell them what cues to pick up to tell where the ball was going or how to think about the right technical approach in the context of what we were working on.and to not wait until the ball got to their side before they prepared their stroke.

Tactics are always in the context of the specific details of a table tennis point. Strategy requires the coach to.have a vision of how he wants you to play. High level tactical or strategic advice is completely meaningless absent the ability to implement it based on experience and training.

Some broader tips for TT improvement

The first thing is patience. You are going to get better if you hit or play with better players whether you improve your technique or not because a lot of table tennis is reading spin and anticipating ball placement and being able to touch the ball and control it. Thia gets better with time.

The next thing is to find good players who are willing to feed your passion. One good friend at a decent level with decent technique and willing to hit with you will do more for you than lots of hours of coaching because the friend will usually watch you and show you things and be empathetic. A good club is a similar benefit. It is hard to improve outside a good relationship with other better players.

When doing drills with a coach, focus on serve and third ball (which many coaches will somewhat do) and receive (which many coaches are unfortunately reluctant to do - it is sad because serve return is extremely important) if a coach can teach you basic forehand and backhand strokes and how to use them to return serves to and attack weak returns, then that is most of the game. If you do multiball and your coach is not correcting your stroke, ask for feedback.

The harder part is how to move to the ball. Good footwork has technical aspects but the technical aspects are sometimes oversold and the conceptual framework is undersold. The conceptual framework is just to move the the ball in a way that allows you to be ready to hit it by the time it gets to you. Because the game gets faster, and you play better players, being able to anticipate and do this better is the basis of good footwork. Technical Footwork is probably the lowest priority thing for an adult beginner who isn't going to get really good but conceptual footwork is a must for every player. You should learn to move to the ball with your stroke prepared and develop ways of hiding your stroke or being equally ready to play multiple relevant shots depending on where the ball is placed. But this only makes sense when you have a good idea of how you use your legs to get into position to play the shots you need to play and how your legs affect the shots you want to play. Then over time you learn to play multiple shots out of superficially similar stances. But when you serve for example, you need to be ready for the return. That ability to connect shots is not tested by the drills you did in multiball. Even a bad serve and return drill is more match relevant.

too long didn't read - practice serve and attack and how to return serves with your basic strokes. Get friends who play at the level you want to play at and hang out with them. Learn to move with balance to the ball even if you don't do footwork drills. If you hang around good players and they hit with you, you will get better regardless of whatever else you do.

The problem with basic multiball is that it doesn't start a point the way most points start (with.a serve or a return), and it doesn't give you any feedback about the effect of your ball on the opponent. I get why coaches do it. But there are many coaches who also think it is useless and understanding why theh think so is more important than agreeing with them. A multiball drill is only as useful as the skill it is testing. It is like solving basic algebraic equations and expecting them to translate into solving engineering problems under pressure without really practicing solving engineering problems.

Matches force you to anticipate and move etc. in practice people are sometimes having fun hitting to each other. In matches, people are trying to make you miss and move. So connecting the physical skills of multiball to the tactical and mental aspects of matchplay needs to be done to make it match relevant. Otherwise it is possibly good exercise but the correlation to winning matches is not that high.

Last edited:

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I'm very interested in this training plan discussion. Thanks wrighty67 for bringing it up. Sorry for such a long ramble post, but maybe there is something in it worthwhile.

Multiball for me is a question of training time. At home I have 12 -14 hours a week for TT. Three hours one-on-one with a coach, three or four hours training with partners, and another few hours playing practice matches. No multiball.

A few weeks a year I take vacation and go to camps and play 5 - 7 hours a day, two training sessions and then matches in the evening. There it is normally two hours of multiball a day, because we have time. And it works reasonably well to identify a skill or two to work on, drill it with multiball in the morning, after lunch work the same things in single-ball exercises that are more point like, and then try to bring it into actual open play.

But there is a coach at my club whom I respect very much who does tons of multiball. And her players improve a lot. Like NL said it depends on the reasons and plan behind it, and the attention that you and the coach put into it. I also agree with NL that footwork is 'the lowest priority thing for an adult beginner who isn't going to get really good.' But for now it doesn't matter. First you learn each stroke from one position before you start adding movement, anything else will only slow your progress. The most common mistake I see people make is to move on too fast to advanced strokes and serves. People try to do chiquitas who don't have a stable backhand hit. We try to serve reverse pendulum and don't have a quality short backspin serve. It is insane how long it takes to learn the basics, and people get frustrated. It's understandable. But everything else is built on those basics. If yours are weak you will get stuck later and that is more frustrating. Here is a video that lays out some basic tests to see if you should move on from a skill. I doubt I would pass on the first attempt.

I'm an intermediate player with decent but not good technique. I still lose more points on my own errors than by having winners hit past me. So I'm focused on consistency and placement. In practice that puts a ton of pressure on footwork, and not building up tension through a very long rally. My one-to-ones go like this.
warmup fh-fh,
warmup bh-bh,
countertopspin fh-fh close to table,
one bh - one fh to his bh,
coach fh loops from his bh to my bh block,
bh-middle-fh-bh-middle-fh to his bh,
coach loops down the line to my bh block,
random number of bh-bh then he plays free I play all to his bh/middle,
he serves short free I push diagonal, he opens I counter fh or block bh, free.
So it goes from static, to semi-random, to full random like a typical practice design. The key to this training is we do every exercise except the last two randoms until I play one ball on the table 30 times. Then we move on. It can be the first ball of that exercise, or we can use a whole basket and have to start again. We started at 15 times, then 20, now 30. 30 touches is as high as we will get, now I try to raise the quality a tiny bit each time. This is absolutely ridiculous from a match simulation perspective. I will never play a real 60 shot rally in my life. But if I now miss two makeable balls out of ten where before I missed three of ten, that changes the result of any close match. There are also some psychological benefits from this because in training I sometimes get to 28 or 29 and miss. Or my coach misses. Either way it's annoying. But I have to forget it and go on, if I get upset I will be stuck on that one thing for the whole hour. This carries over to matches.

With partners I can't do that kind of training because we don't have the consistency. So a lot of time I do whatever they like to do, because I want them to keep training with me. One guy only wants to do serve and receive, which is the best. Other people I will try to train against their strength. One guy is very bh dominant so we do mostly bh to bh. Or I will ask what is your best serve? And we do third ball drills where I try to stop them from attacking off their best pattern. Rarely I find someone who doesn't mind feeling bad during practice, and we can go weakness vs weakness. With one guy I did a thing where we start from backspin and then free rally with both of us trying to hit the other guy's elbow/pocket every ball. That was horrible. It was like one uncomfortable ball after another with no rest for ten minutes. And the rallies were almost all damn short, as you can imagine. The worse you feel while doing a drill, probably the more you are getting out of it. If you feel great and like an excellent player doing an exercise, ask yourself how much are you really learning? And that's the root of my problem with multiball.

Finally back to you wrighty67, and your training plan for six hours a week. What is your priority in table tennis? Do you want to max out your highest level eventually? How discouraged will you get if you lose a lot of matches over a long time? If other people who started the same as you progress faster? How much effort and time do you want to put in, and what is realistically achievable within those limits?

If your goal is to win more matches sooner then I would focus very tightly on the first four balls. Pick a pair or two of serves, like straight backspin and no-spin, or backhand side-backspin and pure sidespin, and practice until they are very good. Learn to hit, push long, block, and fh loop vs backspin. This will give you some basic patterns like:
Serve no-spin get a pop-up and hit it
Serve backspin get a long push receive, if to your fh loop it, if to bh push it back
Receive with a long push, he pushes back if to your fh loop it, if to bh push it back
Receive with a long push, he loops, you block.

Train the hell out of those four basic patterns. In USATT terms this will get to you between a 1600 - 1800 rating depending on your shot quality and how much of the table you can cover with your forehand. You will win lots of matches that way. The downside is when you want to be better than usatt 1800 you may have to go backwards and learn some fundamentals you skipped earlier.

The other option is similar to the Chinese TT certification video. Spend a ton of time just on hitting properly. Then another ton of time on moving side-to side properly while you hit. And tons more on each tiny basic block because they all have to be solid and it takes a crazy amount of work. You can't win matches with only a hit, or any small set of skills. Opponents will simply avoid what you can do. You will lose a lot, and badly, for a long time. But once you learn a thing properly you won't have to go backwards later.

It's sort of a choice between very very slow progress and many losses early, but steady progress to whatever is your max level, or comparatively quick progress through the skills with some feel-good match success early, then a very tough plateau at intermediate level. Either one is mentally tough to take. The slow and steady way takes an almost unimaginable number hours of dedicated effort before you reach a decent level, and also some deliberate destruction of the ego. It's up to you which way suits you better.