J
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 1 0

User Info Menu

Dec 2021
    Colombia
    Read 0 Reviews

Blade Lacquering

Hi, I just recently purchased a Timo Boll ALC which has Koto a harder wood as an outer ply. I’m going to glue my rubbers with Water based glue, but I’m considering in lacquering the blade. Should I lacquer it even though I’ll use water based glue and the blade has a hard wood outer ply?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 63 86
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 86 63
    I would suggest you do light coat lacquering.

The Following User Likes Kontra's Post:

vvk1

addicTTed

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 182 403
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 403 182
    I recently started lacquering my blades, and now I wish I had done it to all my blades before.

The Following User Likes DukeGaGa's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

TTD Member 29 68
    C
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 68 29
    Tb alc, 1.5 years, ~8 gluing procedures everything is fine without lacquering. Butterfly support said that it is not really necessary and I decided to try without it. However I lacquered my tb spirit around 18 years ago.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 116 347
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 347 116
    You should lacquer your blades just because it's water based glue.

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 369 1,002
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 1,002 369

User Info Menu

it might all depend on the quality of the manufacturing and of course the top veneer, If both are of high grade then lacquering is not necessary.
    If one can not make an evaluation of the above quality maybe better to apply a light cote of water-based polyurethane. I tip a lint-free rag into the liquid and then rub it gently onto the surfaces.
    I am not claiming this to be the ultimate method but it works for me

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 16,503 15,071

Super Moderator 15,071 16,503
    Quote Originally Posted by lodro
    it might all depend on the quality of the manufacturing and of course the top veneer, If both are of high grade then lacquering is not necessary.
    If one can not make an evaluation of the above quality maybe better to apply a light cote of water-based polyurethane. I tip a lint-free rag into the liquid and then rub it gently onto the surfaces.
    I am not claiming this to be the ultimate method but it works for me

Why Water Based Poly?

I like the old fashioned version. It seems silly to me to put water on a blade when sealing it to protect it from water. But is there a reason for the Water Based version?

I like using MInWax Wipe-On Poly which is thinned and can be rubbed on with a cloth. It takes about 3 min to apply to both sides, maybe a little less. It does take longer to dry. But I like that there is no water in it. And that, as a result of having been thinned, you can put a REALLY thin layer but still cover the whole surface with one thin coat.

In the end, there are lots of ways to go about this. But, I am just curious why someone would prefer a Water Based Sealant. I think the science behind it is cool. I just have not liked any of the ones I tried even though it is convenient that they dry fairly fast.

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

TTD Member 37 52
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 37

User Info Menu

Jul 2021
    UK
    Read 0 Reviews
    Should 1 ply hinoki blades be lacquered? I’m about to lacquer mine (it’s my first one), but can anyone suggest a reason to not do so?

Since it’s only 1 ply, there’s no top veneer to get pulled off after all.

Super Moderator 16,503 15,071

Super Moderator 15,071 16,503
    Also, I don't think you need to seal a TB ALC. I like sealing my blades. But with Butterfly's quality and the Koto top ply, there is no need and it would be a personal choice.

The reason I like to seal is, the sealant I use makes it fairly easy to take the rubbers off the blade. Which is also another reason why I don't love Water Based Sealants. The ones I have tried, the glue adheres to those sealants more strongly than I would want. But I have only tried to Water Based Sealants. So I don't know if that is the case for others that I have not tried.

The Following 2 Users Like UpSideDownCarl's Post:

DukeGaGa and Ktandean

Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 369 1,002
    L
    says TT-CLOWN, old git

Elite TTD Member 1,002 369

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    Also, I don't think you need to seal a TB ALC. I like sealing my blades. But with Butterfly's quality and the Koto top ply, there is no need and it would be a personal choice.

The reason I like to seal is, the sealant I use makes it fairly easy to take the rubbers off the blade. Which is also another reason why I don't love Water Based Sealants. The ones I have tried, the glue adheres to those sealants more strongly than I would want. But I have only tried to Water Based Sealants. So I don't know if that is the case for others that I have not tried.

I do not actually have a preference for water-based polyurethane . I just use it because i had it in my shed 😂
    A little "heads-up" about modern water-based varnishes and paints: ONCE DRIED AND HARDENED THEY ARE NOT INFLUENCED BY WATER .
    ( or water -based glues.)

So no problemo You use solvent based urethane and I use water-based urethane both dry in minutes, both will seal the blade....... BASTA !!!!!! 😁

The Following User Likes lodro's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 182 403
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 403 182
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl

Exactly why I do it now, so much easier to take the rubbers off after sealing the blade.

The Following User Likes DukeGaGa's Post:

UpSideDownCarl

This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 284 677
    This user has no status.

Senior TTD Member 677 284

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat510
    Should 1 ply hinoki blades be lacquered? I’m about to lacquer mine (it’s my first one), but can anyone suggest a reason to not do so?

Since it’s only 1 ply, there’s no top veneer to get pulled off after all.

Yes a Hinoki blade should always be laquered. The older it gets the drier and a dried wood splinters easily. Always remember when you rip tho old rubber off to do it across the grains. From left to right not top to bottom.

Cheers
    L-zr

The Following 2 Users Like Lazer's Post:

BlackCat510 and lodro

Steal a little and they throw You in jail, Steal a lot and they make You King... (Dylan)