Confident when training, but s**t when playing

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Me being a total table tennis beginner I can only point out that random or match like practice is detrimental for beginners.

This is basically how i started table tennis. Whatching a few guys playing and joining them. After 5 weeks I developed a technique that build on hitting the ball late and getting it somehow on the table. Now after getting proper training it is very hard to get rid of stupid things I taught myself by instantly doing random/match like drills. The skill ceiling is pretty low, if you don't know the proper technique in the first place. You will find a way to play the ball but it probably will not be good enough to improve above a park paddler without completely changing and relearning proper technique.

If you are not able to execute the proper technique in a controlled environment consistently you won't improve on it by having random drills. If you think learning to read a game early as a beginner and thereby never learning a proper technique is worth it then this might be your best personal opinion. I have experienced this scenario personally in the last 5 month and in hindsight I would have liked to start with a proper technique before getting used to bad habits that are hard to get rid off.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G998B mit Tapatalk

The skill of a good coach to move a player from developing the strokes to slowly, incrementally adding small degrees of random into the training and stroke production practice so the player develops the ability to adjust to the incoming ball and maintain good form on strokes would be helpful.

You don't start out with total random drills, you need to work up to that. But the shift from just making the stroke when the ball is fed to you perfectly every time, and slowly working towards the ability to make those shots when your opponent is trying not to let you make those shots, you have to work towards developing that skill over time.

There are ways to still work on the fundamental stroke while having a small element of random involved in the drill so you have to adjust to the incoming ball. As the developing player gets better at keeping form with small amounts of randomness added, the randomness can be slowly amplified. But, the end goal is to be able to keep making good stroke production while reading where the next ball is going and adjusting to it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2022

The skill of a good coach to move a player from developing the strokes to slowly, incrementally adding small degrees of random into the training and stroke production practice so the player develops the ability to adjust to the incoming ball and maintain good form on strokes would be helpful.

You don't start out with total random drills, you need to work up to that. But the shift from just making the stroke when the ball is fed to you perfectly every time, and slowly working towards the ability to make those shots when your opponent is trying not to let you make those shots, you have to work towards developing that skill over time.

You are totally correct. I was just opposing to the thought that random drills trump controlled block training for beginners. The study that talked about two groups that learned a new skill seems to me like they want to convey that aquiring a totally new skill (like learning table tennis) would be more efficient with random drills. That is what i got from some of the videos posted here and that is what i wouldn't agree with.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You are totally correct. I was just opposing to the thought that random drills trump controlled block training for beginners. The study that talked about two groups that learned a new skill seems to me like they want to convey that aquiring a totally new skill (like learning table tennis) would be more efficient with random drills. That is what i got from some of the videos posted here and that is what i wouldn't agree with.
It is possible you misunderstood the video. They do say, over and over, that it is important to work on form and technique.

Since the video is not specific to TT and TT presents some unique issues in terms of learning technique and getting to the point where you can execute technique in random scenarios, it is a little complex to apply the Train Ugly video on the benefits of random training to a TT scenario.

But lets say we have someone who has the skill of looping 100 in a row on the table, but as soon as you add a large degree of randomness to the equation, the person can't adjust and keep the form of the stroke.....then you might work on a two point drill with that player (FH from FH corner, FH from 2 feet left of the FH corner), and when he is competent at that two point drill, you would sometimes make the FH corner ball a little wider or a little less wide, and you would sometimes make the ball nearer the middle of the table a little further in one direction or the other so the player has to adjust more to the ball sometimes. As the player gets better at that, you can increase the degree of randomness.

But the idea is, as soon as you can, adding small degrees of randomness to training is actually really useful.

And with a good coach, if you are working on an exercise that introduced a degree of randomness that caused the trainee to start doing funny things to his form, the coach should be able to read that and reel things back so the trainee gets form back after a few shots.

There are ways to introduce small degrees of randomness into training while still helping a player develop good form. But if all you ever do is loop against a perfect block, and you never have to read where the ball is going or what spin is on the ball, it gets easy to get stuck at a level where you look great doing one thing in practice but can't play matches well at all. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, an aside, starting to play games and matches without any idea of what proper technique is.....well, that is not at all what that video is talking about....and, if you are starting out with no technique and just trying to get the ball on the table, you may still have fun, but you are right that you likely won't end up with good technique. Again, I don't think that video was talking about this at all.

But it is good that you got around to figuring out that you needed to learn decent biomechanical stroke production at some point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Besides battling your opponent across the court, you need to get a grip and win over your mind as well. Easier said than done.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022
Being able to adjust to different variations, different spins, and modulate accordingly - your bat angle, power, brush ...and where you aim [cross court, DTL, mid table] as well as depth...

How you start points, how well you receive, how you serve to set up a point against players with their own strengths/weaknesses in receiving / in a game.

All of this is being tested against reasonable opponents, and always under pressure..in matches. Touch, feel, adjusting in all sorts of ways and the mental side are all skill(s) that are highly valued, and why some players fight and often win, even when their game has deserted them.

Every player has natural talent in every skill, as well as the capacity to learn. It may be that you are either underdeveloped [i.e. haven't focused on] truly improving your matchplay, it may simply be your starting level is low. That doesn't mean your potential is lower in this skill - how high you go largely depends on you, as long as you are not expecting to be a pro player.

Reactions: Wrighty67
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Sometimes I think it is really underperforming in matches due to mental issues but it could also be that in training you face lesser quality of spin, ball speed and variation (for example in a drill where you know which ball is coming).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Sometimes I think it is really underperforming in matches due to mental issues but it could also be that in training you face lesser quality of spin, ball speed and variation (for example in a drill where you know which ball is coming).

It is worth understanding the difference between hitting with someone who is hitting in a way where they are trying to make it so you can make a good return and playing a match where your opponent is trying to make it so you have a harder time returning the ball.

It is quite normal for a player of a certain level, playing someone higher level, to feel they just kept messing up and giving away easy points, while not understanding what the opponent was doing to cause that player to make those mistakes.

In racket sports, if you are playing someone who is higher level than you, any time you make a mistake or mess up in a rally, you should be trying to figure out what your opponent did and how he caused you to make those mistakes, rather than only seeing what you did yourself. So much of improving in racket sports is learning to watch, see and understand what your opponent has just done. There is a reason why, when serving, the reset is as important or more important than the serve: you should be ready to watch how your opponent receives your serve, before your serve bounces on his side of the table.

Same with in any kind of rally, after you make your shot, you should reset fast enough to be able to watch the ball and your opponent before your shot lands on the opponent's side.

When you start being able to do that, the random element that happens in matches becomes somewhat more manageable. The reset is the key and how fast it has to be for you to be ready to observe before your opponent is taking his shot. You can't read what your opponent is doing if you don't see what he is doing.

And it is worth understanding that: when you are training and someone is feeding you balls so you know where they are going and are ready for them.....this scenario is not at all like what happens when you are playing a match and your opponent is trying to make it so you do not know what is coming or how to respond to it. These scenarios are not at all alike.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Without understanding the value of the reset and how, without the skill of being reset and ready so you are able to watch what your opponent is doing, you will not be able to read the scenario and make intelligent shots according to the scenario being played out in any given rally.

It is worth developing good strokes. It is worth developing all the strokes. But without the reset, it is not actually a functionally good stroke. And without the reset you can't start learning to read the play in front of you, the play coming from the other side of the table. Without that, you can look fantastic when someone is feeding you and completely inept when someone is trying to mess you up.

Reactions: Manto76

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Adjacent to Carl's point - does the OP's training incorporate serve and receive? If it does not that is 120% of the reason his match play is so much worse.

Serve and receive is basically the only thing that matters in a match. Only if the players are nearly equal in these skills does rallying ability affect the outcome.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Adjacent to Carl's point - does the OP's training incorporate serve and receive? If it does not that is 120% of the reason his match play is so much worse.

Serve and receive is basically the only thing that matters in a match. Only if the players are nearly equal in these skills does rallying ability affect the outcome.

It took me too long to realize this, but this will be my next big change in my practice times. I mostly focused on a specific stroke or drill, like opening loops or flick or something. But when I play an actual game, 95% of times that I lose a game it is distinctly because I couldn't get a handle on how to return the serve. Also, it's not that I don't have the skill/stroke to return the serve. But rather the bigger problem is that I don't know which stroke should be used to return the serve.

I played 10 years tennis and 10 years badminton, and those 2 sports are WAY easier to get into a proper rally. Only table tennis has this extreme serve situation that is extremely hard to read, extremely hard to handle, and has extremely short time to react to.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I actually wish the sport could be changed somehow to make the service return less extreme. But since that's not gonna happen, I guess the only way to solve my issue is to practice service return non-stop until I get a handle on it.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I know. But the sport still feels imbalanced. A lot more serve/return errors and hard to get into good rallies.

There is no need to blame anything or anyone else but ... :)

Don't be discouraged by weak receives. Just work on your serve. (Later, don't be discouraged if you feel you won only thanks to your serve :)) Btw. from what USDC and Brs said, follows that the most important "reset" is right after you serve. Watch what the good players do, how/where they move/jump after (or as part of) service motion. There is so many things to work on, that there is no time to complain :)

Oh, you can do all of that kind of brain-dead. Just brute force. I like to do things brute force :) I spend my brain during work, in TT, incl. training, I don't want to think that much. Well, I'm not that good. At least I can say, I haven't even started using my brain yet :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
There is no need to blame anything or anyone else but ... :)

Don't be discouraged by weak receives. Just work on your serve. (Later, don't be discouraged if you feel you won only thanks to your serve :)) Btw. from what USDC and Brs said, follows that the most important "reset" is right after you serve. Watch what the good players do, how/where they move/jump after (or as part of) service motion. There is so many things to work on, that there is no time to complain :)

Oh, you can do all of that kind of brain-dead. Just brute force. I like to do things brute force :) I spend my brain during work, in TT, incl. training, I don't want to think that much. Well, I'm not that good. At least I can say, I haven't even started using my brain yet :)
Well I'm not really trying to blame anyone. But just coming from 10 years of badminton, I find that TT is just so darn frustrating. When I miss a return or pop up a return, I want to pull my hair out. When I win those easy points on my own serve, I don't feel the satisfaction of earning a point. I played those 10 years of badminton in Japan, and we always had middle school little girls playing long rallies against 60 year old adults and it was fun and easy to get into a rhythm and rally. Anybody could get into the game, and there were not really hair-pulling moments. I miss that type of atmosphere. In TT, its just serve and point, serve and point.

Also I don't really understand the reset strategy. After I serve, I'm usually waiting for a long ball to loop against. But if the ball gets pushed short, I am unprepared and get into trouble.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Well I'm not really trying to blame anyone. But just coming from 10 years of badminton, I find that TT is just so darn frustrating. When I miss a return or pop up a return, I want to pull my hair out. When I win those easy points on my own serve, I don't feel the satisfaction of earning a point. I played those 10 years of badminton in Japan, and we always had middle school little girls playing long rallies against 60 year old adults and it was fun and easy to get into a rhythm and rally. Anybody could get into the game, and there were not really hair-pulling moments. I miss that type of atmosphere. In TT, its just serve and point, serve and point.

Also I don't really understand the reset strategy. After I serve, I'm usually waiting for a long ball to loop against. But if the ball gets pushed short, I am unprepared and get into trouble.

He just means turning around after you serve, into a posture that prepares you for the possible returns. And you need to be ready at least by the time your serve bounces on the other side of the net, if not sooner. Or else you will be very late reacting to the receive.

The same thing applies after every shot, like Carl said. It's not as extreme as after serving because you probably aren't standing sideways to the table. But players reset their feet and balance, recover into their neutral stance, and if necessary move to cover the possible angles of return. A lot to do in .5 second.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl