Thinner Fastarc G1 similar to Rakza 7 ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Hi folks,

I have been using Rakza 7 in 1.8mm thickness on both sides and have to say I am generally very happy with it.

However, I have often felt like I could maybe use a slightly slower rubber on the back hand.
Ideally I would use a thinner sponge but the thinnest R7 is 1.8mm.
I don't like softer sponges so the R7 soft is out of the question.

I see that the Fastarc G1 is available in 1.4mm.
From reading various reviews it would seem that the G1 and R7 are quite similar in their playing capabilities.

For those of you who have maybe played with both of these rubbers, my question is.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that the G1 and R7 are similar.
Secondly, Is the thinner G1 likely to be slightly slower but still give the same throw angle and general behaviour that I am used to with the R7 ?

If it helps, my blade is a typical all/all+, 5 ply, wood.

Thank you.

I would say Rakza 7, but others will disagree.
G1 probably has a higher spin with very hard shots, because this in intrinsic in harder rubbers, where as Rakza 7 is easier to get spin with.
I consider the latter to be more important...

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: KM1976
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
i have tried both G-1(2.0mm thick) and rakza 7(2.0mm thick). i play extensively with g-1 and i recently got a chance to try my friend's Rakza 7. As per mentioned by @Lazer, Rakza 7 does allow one to produce spin with lesser effort while g-1 will require more effort to engage the topsheet to produce spin. However, if u want to compare shot quality , i get better quality shots with g-1 since i feel that i can add more spin to the ball when i go 100% comapred to rakza 7.

while testing my friend's rakza 7, i got to try out his donic baracuda and i preferred it over Rakza 7. i feel its a slower g-1, providing good control where i can hit my shots confidently. compared to rakza 7, there is more feeling on baracuda and it felt like i had a better dwell time with baracuda.i feel that g-1 1.4mm may end up as a too much of a down grade so baracuda 1.8mm maybe a better fit for your requirements

https://youtu.be/A1_7OhgpeNg
here's a vid that reviews rubbers like g-1 and baracuda so u can get more info before your purchase.
Cheer!

Last edited: