Booster mega test

says Hi, I am a life-long table tennis enthusiast and...
Mar 2014
Hey -

I have tested six different boosters against a negative control (unboosted H3) as part of an article that I have written for Tabletennis11.com (link to the article will be provided when it publishes). Until then, you can get the highlights from this test in this two-part video series (cross-posted across different forums).

Thanks,
TPP

says Or is it more legit...
says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019
Does the boosting effect wears off when you don’t play and leave your racket for some time?
I was just curious if the booster effect will be gone in time whether you play or not

Reactions: dreto

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Does the boosting effect wears off when you don’t play and leave your racket for some time?
I was just curious if the booster effect will be gone in time whether you play or not

This is a good question. Also, does how much you play matter? If the booster normally wears off in six weeks, is that the same if yu play every day versus once a week?

Reactions: dreto and Colin Ksh
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
Thank you for this review. You've put a lot of money and time into it.

As others mentioned, it would be interesting to know about the durability of the effect. Perhaps you already planned part 3...

After 2,5 months (actually more like 2) I feel the effect of FTL is off - more strongly on FH/harder rubber. I still play with it. The experience is exactly the same as you describe - lower clearance. And bit more errors, subjectively. Those over the net and out - I hate the most.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Great job doing this comparison, there are some interesting comparisons on how fast/slow the booster are absorbed, and the dome effect. And like others have said, would really like to know how long each of them lasts.

But as most other table tennis equipment reviews out there, other parts of the comparison is done mostly based on feel. And that's the real problem with table tennis equipment reviews, it should be done scientifically, not just feel. For example, when you judge if a GPU is good or not, you do benchmarks with it, multiple times on multiple scenarios, then you collect data on different categories like FPS, frame time, heat output, noise level, etc., not just "it felt faster than the last one in xxx game, so it must be better". We need to remove the human variable from the equation, even the best players' performance varies during a match, so how can we be sure the reviewer isn't having a few good swings on a bad day, or a few bad swing on a good day?

If we want to objectively judge an equipment, we need quantifiable data like: slow motion captures of a ball bouncing off the equipment, from different angles, and data points of the bounce height, spin count; natural frequency of a blade; hardness of the equipment measured using a durometer. Also, everything needs to be done multiple times, since a dataset of one is useless. And when possible, use more than one product to check for production variations.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but someone should start doing it, looking at you guys TableTennisDaily. If GamersNexus can spend $60K on a fan tester, TableTennisDaily should be able to spend a few hundred on a durometer, capture some slow motion footage, and crunch some numbers.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews
Great job doing this comparison, there are some interesting comparisons on how fast/slow the booster are absorbed, and the dome effect. And like others have said, would really like to know how long each of them lasts.But as most other table tennis equipment reviews out there, other parts of the comparison is done mostly based on feel. And that's the real problem with table tennis equipment reviews, it should be done scientifically, not just feel. For example, when you judge if a GPU is good or not, you do benchmarks with it, multiple times on multiple scenarios, then you collect data on different categories like FPS, frame time, heat output, noise level, etc., not just "it felt faster than the last one in xxx game, so it must be better". We need to remove the human variable from the equation, even the best players' performance varies during a match, so how can we be sure the reviewer isn't having a few good swings on a bad day, or a few bad swing on a good day?If we want to subjectively judge an equipment, we need quantifiable data like: slow motion captures of a ball bouncing off the equipment, from different angles, and data points of the bounce height, spin count; natural frequency of a blade; hardness of the equipment measured using a durometer. Also, everything needs to be done multiple times, since a dataset of one is useless. And when possible, use more than one product to check for production variations.I know this is a lot to ask for, but someone should start doing it, looking at you guys TableTennisDaily. If GamersNexus can spend $60K on a fan tester, TableTennisDaily should be able to spend a few hundred on a durometer, capture some slow motion footage, and crunch some numbers.

Whoa you spoke out of the deepest parts of my soul. This is one of my biggest concerns and probably wanted by every TT company, that you are completely unable to propperly compare equipment. The garbage meassurements companies take and putting weird diagrams on their websites are pissing me off so much.The only working comparisment i found is watching a pro i want to immitate as good as i can and copy their equipment with slight adjustments to my level.But seriously - that is the foundation i have to use to decide how i spend my money on? I mean in the last 3-4 years i easily spent around 500€ to find a decent setup. This cant be it.

Mar 2014
Great job doing this comparison, there are some interesting comparisons on how fast/slow the booster are absorbed, and the dome effect. And like others have said, would really like to know how long each of them lasts.

But as most other table tennis equipment reviews out there, other parts of the comparison is done mostly based on feel. And that's the real problem with table tennis equipment reviews, it should be done scientifically, not just feel. For example, when you judge if a GPU is good or not, you do benchmarks with it, multiple times on multiple scenarios, then you collect data on different categories like FPS, frame time, heat output, noise level, etc., not just "it felt faster than the last one in xxx game, so it must be better". We need to remove the human variable from the equation, even the best players' performance varies during a match, so how can we be sure the reviewer isn't having a few good swings on a bad day, or a few bad swing on a good day?

If we want to subjectively judge an equipment, we need quantifiable data like: slow motion captures of a ball bouncing off the equipment, from different angles, and data points of the bounce height, spin count; natural frequency of a blade; hardness of the equipment measured using a durometer. Also, everything needs to be done multiple times, since a dataset of one is useless. And when possible, use more than one product to check for production variations.

I know this is a lot to ask for, but someone should start doing it, looking at you guys TableTennisDaily. If GamersNexus can spend $60K on a fan tester, TableTennisDaily should be able to spend a few hundred on a durometer, capture some slow motion footage, and crunch some numbers.

Absolutely. An objective, fully experimental approach would be preferable. This would require investments in proper equipment and a permanent venue to set up the experiments (think Mythbusters). Also, it needs to be worthwhile the video creators time. The earnings from a small YT channel are minuscule (and it took MANY MANY hours to make this video).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Absolutely. An objective, fully experimental approach would be preferable. This would require investments in proper equipment and a permanent venue to set up the experiments (think Mythbusters). Also, it needs to be worthwhile the video creators time. The earnings from a small YT channel are minuscule (and it took MANY MANY hours to make this video).

Mythbusters is exactly what I was thinking just now lol

I know it takes a lot to make the video, and I liked watching it. My concern is more of a hope I guess, hoping the biggest table tennis channels on YT will lead the trend of scientifically testing and reviewing products. And I mean it's not just boring testing footage, some examples frequently seen on YT with great success would be some brief testing footage explaining the test, why and how they test it, then a few charts of the test result, then it could be the good old play test videos explaining the feel and how the data is related to the feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

Mythbusters is exactly what I was thinking just now lol

I know it takes a lot to make the video, and I liked watching it. My concern is more of a hope I guess, hoping the biggest table tennis channels on YT will lead the trend of scientifically testing and reviewing products. And I mean it's not just boring testing footage, some examples frequently seen on YT with great success would be some brief testing footage explaining the test, why and how they test it, then a few charts of the test result, then it could be the good old play test videos explaining the feel and how the data is related to the feel.

The problem is huge. To make it work you have to have an unbiased channel. If it is a supplier it already failed. So in order to accomplish that alone, the channel has to make enough money from the channel itself and has to get many views.

So the problem is the base of it itself. Tabletennis doesnt have many viewer and there doesnt come any channel to my mind that would be unbiased with at least 10k+ subs (you probably need even way more for it to make it worth). Well maybe pongfinity but i have never seen any review videos from them.

But as i said we seriously lack such a channel and information.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Whoa you spoke out of the deepest parts of my soul. This is one of my biggest concerns and probably wanted by every TT company, that you are completely unable to propperly compare equipment. The garbage meassurements companies take and putting weird diagrams on their websites are pissing me off so much.The only working comparisment i found is watching a pro i want to immitate as good as i can and copy their equipment with slight adjustments to my level.But seriously - that is the foundation i have to use to decide how i spend my money on? I mean in the last 3-4 years i easily spent around 500€ to find a decent setup. This cant be it.

i so agree. I spend some good money on a tennirobo, so at least the "incoming shots" are very consistent and i can evaluate the behavior of
boosted against un-boosted rubbers I also use 2 identical blades to make this "fair".
I of course do not try to prove anything to anybody it is just a hobby . (and an excuse for being a EJ 😁 )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

The problem is huge. To make it work you have to have an unbiased channel. If it is a supplier it already failed. So in order to accomplish that alone, the channel has to make enough money from the channel itself and has to get many views.

So the problem is the base of it itself. Tabletennis doesnt have many viewer and there doesnt come any channel to my mind that would be unbiased with at least 10k+ subs (you probably need even way more for it to make it worth). Well maybe pongfinity but i have never seen any review videos from them.

But as i said we seriously lack such a channel and information.

Exactly, maybe we'll get a channel that does unbiased and scientific reviews eventually.

i so agree. I spend some good money on a tennirobo, so at least the "incoming shots" are very consistent and i can evaluate the behavior of
boosted against un-boosted rubbers I also use 2 identical blades to make this "fair".
I of course do not try to prove anything to anybody it is just a hobby . (and an excuse for being a EJ 😁 )

Speaking of tennirobo, I recently contacted them for some trouble shooting, since mine has been acting up a bit. Good news is they have some new and improved parts coming soon, hopefully those parts will fix my problem. They said the improved version will be on kickstarter Jan/Feb 2022, so it shouldn't be too long of a wait. The improvement I know of is an updated ball feeding mechanism, since that's the problem I'm having, not sure if the head is different or not.