Back to Forum
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. Hasna Haura Hayfa is offline
    says Bismillah
     
    Established TTD Member 2 105
    Hasna Haura Hayfa's Avatar
    Hasna Haura Hayfa is offline
    says Bismillah
     
    Established TTD Member 105 2
    #1

    Rubber shrink

    Does anyone know why the well-known Tenergy and ESN rubber (tensor), after being opened and stored for a long time, want to be re-pasted, the size becomes smaller. different from Chinese rubber, which remains with its size
    anyone know how to develop it again

  2. trumpet_guy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 150 289
    T
    trumpet_guy is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 289 150
    #2
    This is partly because these rubbers are softer and become more easily stretched when gluing them to the blade. Once removed, they go back to their normal size.

  3. zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 19
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasna Haura Hayfa
    Does anyone know why the well-known Tenergy and ESN rubber (tensor), after being opened and stored for a long time, want to be re-pasted, the size becomes smaller. different from Chinese rubber, which remains with its size
    anyone know how to develop it again

    I have suffered tensor rubber shrinkage several times, sometimes with freshly glued rubbers that even shrink over the racket and come off.
    I have tried to recover some with booster, but I have had no luck.

    To avoid this, I have been following the following procedure for some time:


    • I do not glue the rubbers as soon as I open the package but I leave them at room temperature with the sponge facing up for 2 or 3 days.
    • With tensioned-type rubbers I give a normal layer of glue (Revolution 3 in my case) and let it dry without the assistance of a fan for at least an hour, well over what is usually suggested, after seeing that the glue has become totally transparent.
    • Then I apply two slightly thinner coats of glue, also being generous with the drying time.
    • On the racket I usually use two layers of glue.
    • To stick the rubber on the racket without bending the rubber at all, I use a sheet of silicone paper on both sides, with a small semicircular cut of about 25 mm or 1in in the area of ​​the racquet handle.
    • I lay the paper on the blade so that it is aligned right in the center and then I lay the rubber on the paper without bending the rubber, adjusting it so that it is well aligned.
    • After that, I apply slight pressure to the area of ​​the semicircular cut to fix the rubber to the racquet, carefully remove the silicone paper by slightly lifting the rubber and proceed with the roller without exerting too much pressure.
    • After that, I put the racket in a press that I have built with two MDF boards and leave the racket for at least 8 hours.
    • Only after that I cut the rubber and proceed with the other rubber.


    Extreme? Can be. But since I have followed this procedure I have not had any problems.




    The Following 2 Users Like zterm's Post:

    Hasna Haura Hayfa and lodro


  4. IB66 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 599 1,119
    I
    IB66 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,119 599

    User Info Menu

    #4
    Factory Boosting???

    The Following User Likes IB66's Post:

    trumpet_guy


  5. lasta is offline
    says This user has status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 550 1,009
    lasta's Avatar
    lasta is offline
    says This user has status.
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,009 550

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2018
    Canada
    1,009
    550
    2282
    Read 0 Reviews
    #5
    Boost/speed glue/hand stretch/roller-pin/combo.

    If you choose the latter two, make sure you use strong glue.

  6. Zwill is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 117 256
    Zwill's Avatar
    Zwill is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 256 117
    #6
    I think a pack of ESN rubber needs to be opened like ~3 months before use to let it air out completely. That way maybe it won't shrink any further. It also depends of course if your rubbers are freshly off the production line or have been collecting dust for half a year on a shelf. Most rubbers packaging is not vacuum sealed so eventually they should all "air out" even if they are packed.
    I only noticed this "feature" with ESN rubbers though, Japanese/Chinese made ones didn't shrink on me yet. That being said I didn't try all of them and Tenergy is one that I don't use myself.

  7. NDH is online now
    says UK Premier Standard Player
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,125 1,002
    NDH's Avatar
    NDH is online now
    says UK Premier Standard Player
     
    Elite TTD Member 1,002 1,125
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by zterm

    I have suffered tensor rubber shrinkage several times, sometimes with freshly glued rubbers that even shrink over the racket and come off.
    I have tried to recover some with booster, but I have had no luck.

    To avoid this, I have been following the following procedure for some time:


    • I do not glue the rubbers as soon as I open the package but I leave them at room temperature with the sponge facing up for 2 or 3 days.
    • With tensioned-type rubbers I give a normal layer of glue (Revolution 3 in my case) and let it dry without the assistance of a fan for at least an hour, well over what is usually suggested, after seeing that the glue has become totally transparent.
    • Then I apply two slightly thinner coats of glue, also being generous with the drying time.
    • On the racket I usually use two layers of glue.
    • To stick the rubber on the racket without bending the rubber at all, I use a sheet of silicone paper on both sides, with a small semicircular cut of about 25 mm or 1in in the area of ​​the racquet handle.
    • I lay the paper on the blade so that it is aligned right in the center and then I lay the rubber on the paper without bending the rubber, adjusting it so that it is well aligned.
    • After that, I apply slight pressure to the area of ​​the semicircular cut to fix the rubber to the racquet, carefully remove the silicone paper by slightly lifting the rubber and proceed with the roller without exerting too much pressure.
    • After that, I put the racket in a press that I have built with two MDF boards and leave the racket for at least 8 hours.
    • Only after that I cut the rubber and proceed with the other rubber.


    Extreme? Can be. But since I have followed this procedure I have not had any problems.



    That is a crazy procedure! I barely have the patience to leave it 20 minutes to dry 😂

    What rubbers have you found shrink otherwise?

  8. Dominikk85 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 139 323
    D
    Dominikk85 is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 323 139

    User Info Menu


    Jul 2017
    Germany
    323
    139
    232
    Read 0 Reviews
    #8
    Aren't tensor rubbers actually pre stretched?

  9. zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 19
    #9

    That is a crazy procedure! I barely have the patience to leave it 20 minutes to dry 😂

    😂😂😂 Yes, I know the procedure seems to be a bit extreme, but it works. As I have been suffering from an extreme case of bladeophilia nervosa for the last year I've opted to follow the strict aforementioned protocol. 😂😂😂

    What rubbers have you found shrink otherwise?

    Vega Asia DF, Bluefire M2, FX-P... Even chinese AK47. You name them.

    The Following User Likes zterm's Post:

    NDH


  10. Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 826 754
    B
    Brs is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 754 826

    User Info Menu


    Oct 2015
    Christmas Island
    754
    826
    1893
    Read 0 Reviews
    #10
    I used 2x tenergy for six years and never had any problems with them shrinking after being glued. ESN pre-boosted maybe. But if that was the problem I would just switch to tenergy rather than do this elaborate procedure.

  11. zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 19
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Brs
    I used 2x tenergy for six years and never had any problems with them shrinking after being glued. ESN pre-boosted maybe. But if that was the problem I would just switch to tenergy rather than do this elaborate procedure.

    Some time ago I read that Nitakku recommends airing the rubbers for at least 72 hours before gluing them on.
    I live in Madrid. It is very hot and dry, especially during the summer. Added to the fact that with the glue a lot of water is added suddenly and that previously I curved the rubbers more when gluing them ...

    But since I do it like this ... No problem.
    Once you have done it once, it's not that elaborate.

    Last edited by zterm; 01-05-2022 at 03:55 PM.

  12. DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 174 393
    DukeGaGa's Avatar
    DukeGaGa is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 393 174
    #12
    Just don't too much pressure on your roller when gluing rubber to the blade, that is how the rubber gets stretched out. Just gently lay the rubber on the blade and press as little pressure as you can, if you put on the glue layers correctly the rubber won't come off.

  13. Sedis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 52 102
    S
    Sedis is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Established TTD Member 102 52
    #13
    Whilst you can minimise the shrinking, some rubbers just seem to shrink no matter what.



    The blue sponged rubber is a Spinlord Wyvern (made in China). The red is an MXP. These were both fitted by TT11, who I am sure don't stretch the rubbers when they fit them.
    The green one is and Andro Hexer Powergrip, glued by myself with a method very similar to zterm's
    They were all fitted to the same blade, and in the case of the Wyvern and MXP for exactly the same amount of time.

    The Following 5 Users Like Sedis's Post:

    damszelfly, latej and 3 others


  14. zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    zterm is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 28 19
    #14
    It would be interesting to compare a brand new ESN rubber with an identical one that has been glued to a racquet - but not cut - after taking it off. It would also be interesting to see if the glue stain when peeling it off matches the shape of the blade.

  15. merlin el mago is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 70 463
    merlin el mago's Avatar
    merlin el mago is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Advanced TTD Member 463 70
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by NDH
    That is a crazy procedure! I barely have the patience to leave it 20 minutes to dry 😂

    What rubbers have you found shrink otherwise?

    Dynaryz AGR

    No more political prisoners in Catalonia.

  16. igorponger is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 203 677
    igorponger's Avatar
    igorponger is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    Senior TTD Member 677 203

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2012
    Former Soviet Union
    677
    203
    910
    Read 0 Reviews
    #16
    XIOM I-switch rubbers are needing no glue work, owning to its super-tacky backside/

  17. damszelfly is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 11 35
    D
    damszelfly is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 35 11
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by zterm

    Some time ago I read that Nitakku recommends airing the rubbers for at least 72 hours before gluing them on.
    I live in Madrid. It is very hot and dry, especially during the summer. Added to the fact that with the glue a lot of water is added suddenly and that previously I curved the rubbers more when gluing them ...

    But since I do it like this ... No problem.
    Once you have done it once, it's not that elaborate.

    I did have a shrinking problem with a few rubbers I tried, namely Victas VJ>07 Regular, Xiom Vega Asia DF and Andro Hexer Powergrip. Maybe I had better luck with other rubbers I have tried, but most of them, fortunately, did not shrink noticeably.
    I also did match the >72 hours airing time many times involuntarily, because I was very curious about each new rubber I was going to try, but I could not decide which blade I would put them on for many days.
    I think, your glueing process is meticulous, but reasonable at the same time for the best result. I also recently found out, that Odourless Rev no. 3 high viscosity glue works pretty well. Regarding the placement, I try to gently touch the bottom edge of the rubber down, then I use a roller to lay down the rest of the rubber without nearly any pressure, then when the rubber is already laid on the blade, I roll over it a few times with some force, but very slowly, thus I avoid stretching it - eventually, I put the blade with the glued rubber downwards on the table, and keep it under pressure for a few minutes to improve a bit on the glue bonding. Your method is clearly more professional, though.

  18. hassancooking is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 39 54
    H
    hassancooking is offline
    This user has no status.
     
    TTD Member 54 39

    User Info Menu


    Jan 2022
    United States
    54
    39
    0
    Read 0 Reviews
    #18
    Do be like that sometimes

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Create a new Topic:
Title is required.