Best blades for 0x pips?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Hey!

Just a quick back story, I'm trying to find some help on a blade. Hoping you guys can help me out, as I'm not too tech savvy on how blades work (material, etc).
I play in the US, with a US rating of about 2100-2200. I have played with a zero sponge (ox) rubber on my backhand for about 3 years now. I usually rely on it for deception and chopping (Yes, I chop away from the table with it as well).
The EXACT combination that I played with a couple of months ago is red ox Hellfire X, 2.3mm Black Xiom Omega V (pro, or tour, both seem the same to me), and the Joo Se Hyuk Blade.
Well, I loved this combination, but they don't seem to make the Joo Se Hyuk Blade anymore, and I'm not about to drop $200 + on one that's used on eBay, so I've been trying to find a replacement.
I'll say now, I really like the forehand and backhand rubber, and am not tooooooo interested in changing them (I would however like to try Grass Dtecs at some point), but I need to find the right blade.
I first tried using the same rubbers on a Butterfly Petr Korbel (also an old blade) , but it is classified as OFF. I also noticed that I had a bunch of mishits, most likely due to the difference in head size from a JSH blade to an offensive blade. While I still think the combination of rubbers on here wasn't too bad, I was missing a lot of shots. So I then decided I needed to go back to a larger head, defensive blade.
This brings me to my current setup. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now. Xiom Omega V Tour, same ox pips, and a Donic Defplay Senso V3. So, I had this paddle built and glued together by a shop manufacturer when I bought all of these components together. The first thing I noticed is the feeling of the pips almost having a little sponge, basically the reversal wasn't as good. I figured that MAYBE it had to do with the manufacturer who glued the pips using a glue sheet? Something I haven't used before, but I wonder if the glue sheet was sort of acting like a mini-sponge. Anyways, its either that, or that the pips just don't combine well with this specific blade.
I'm going to reglue the other set of ox pips I have to see if its the glue sheet that's making the difference. I'll know that by tomorrow. Does anyone have any experience with this blade? Is it just a terrible blade to use ox pips with? Is using glue sheets with ox a bad idea?

ANY help you have, I'd be happy to talk about it :). I've been looking at other blades online, but ultimately don't want to keep dropping tons of money on trying to find a JSH replacement. I thought maybe asking on here would be smarter :). I'd love to talk about equipment in general, playstyle, etc. I'm 26 and have been playing for around 10 years. Probably 9 of those years as a chopper.

Thanks again!

Andrew

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2021
Read 1 reviews
Hi,

VIactas Koji Matsushita Off is considered to be somewhat similar to Butterfly JSH .. Butterfly Diode V could not another option, but is a notch or 2 slower..

Just an FYI .. Nexy has developed a blade in collaboration with Joo Se Hyuk .. It's branded as Nexy Joo See Hyuk .. I've not played with it, but it may be worth a shot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Hey!
This brings me to my current setup. I've been using it for about 3 weeks now. Xiom Omega V Tour, same ox pips, and a Donic Defplay Senso V3. So, I had this paddle built and glued together by a shop manufacturer when I bought all of these components together. The first thing I noticed is the feeling of the pips almost having a little sponge, basically the reversal wasn't as good.
What you want to do is two completely different things! If you want to chop then the Defplay is what you want. The Defplay is relatively flexible so it does grip the ball a little more. It is also decent at looping.
I have a Defplay with TSP PR-1 1.4mm that I use for chopping.
I also have two Dr Neubauer Firewall+ blades with GD Talon 0X on them for push blocking.
Two completely different blades for two completely different objectives/styles.
Can I push block with the Defplay? Yet but is doesn't get the spin reversal of the Firewall+ with Giant Dragon Talon 0X
Can I chop with the Firewall+? Yes, but it is far from optimal because I can't add much to the spin.
My favorite between the two setups is the Defplay because it loops better. The FIrewall+ is more of a hitting paddle.
The thing about pips is if you push straight through the ball the friction is much less that if you swipe the ball and bend the pips.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022

Andrew,
I have played the last 7 yrs using long pimps OX (BH) close to the table. Prior to that I was all attack with max-sponge (15-yrs). I do well away from the table but i dont step back on my own.
My favorite combination now, after testing several blades (DEF, ALL-, ALL+) and long pimps (Giant Long, Sauer&Troeger, several from Spin Lord), is a blade from Spin Lord Carbon Strike (OFF-), Tibhar DTechs(BH)/MX-P(FH/max).
It is a blade with balsa which, some likes balsa and some dont, Here is a link to the sales pitch: revspin.net/blade/spinlord-carbon-strike
I tried glue-sheet but i lost my touch and i could not feel the ball impact. Now I have added a layer of lacquer on my backhand to harden the surface and increase the bend of the pimps which i found to add a dimension to my game.
I have given up trying to find the perfect combination, at the end of the day, the long pimp/OX is a game of confidence mastered through practicing the right moves and angles on the blade.
Good luck

This user has no status.
Have you ever tried a Nittaku Goriki ? 7 plies of walnut, 4.9mm thick (ot 5.0mm thick if you use the Goriki Danshi), quite heavy (~105g). I'm playing with a frictionless anti so I need maximum spin reversal. And it is one of the best blade on the market if you need maximum spin reversal. But it is also a very good blade for chopper. Look at Hitomi Sato and Honoka Hashimoto. They are playing pretty well with it.
You may also look at Kyoka Idesawa, she is playing with a Goriki and 0x long pimple at the table.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2021

You need to remember if you want to try detecs that this is one of the most faster pimples on the market. Blade to this rubber should be a little slower