Butterfly blades - the whole truth!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Well I own quite a few blades and I’m not looking to own nearly identical blades from different manufacturers unless I want to compare them directly. I’ve also come to know what kind of compositions I prefer and ones I know will most likely not suit me. Blades of similar composition and thickness tend to play similarly enough in my experience, no matter the brand.

Not to go too far off topic. Is there a reason people guess Butterfly uses limba as a medial? Is it because they have a slightly harder feel than competitors? I only own two Butterfly blades but It’s been a while since I played with them so I don’t remember how they feel exactly.

I don't know, Ayous sounds cheaper than Limba? Just a guess 😅

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
@hipnotic - Do you know what the composition of a TB Spirit is - I'm struggling to find something similar or I like more

TB Spirit is Koto / ALC / Ayous / Kiri, just like a few other Butterfly blades. However, there are various things that can be done in the building process, while maintaining the same composition, that will make the blade perform differently. If Butterfly intentionally does this or not with these models, I don't know. I suspect they do, at least with one or two or them. My impression is that the TB Spirit has a slightly thicker top ply than TB ALC for example, but I can't confirm this from the small sample I examined.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
thanks for the info @hipnotic - appreciated. Will look into which other ones might be similar. Ive tried a TB ALC a couple of times and didn't feel quite the same and a little faster, which isnt something i want in my next blade - to be any faster than my current one. Some Viscaria's ive tried feel similar - some not as much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
thanks for the info @hipnotic - appreciated. Will look into which other ones might be similar. Ive tried a TB ALC a couple of times and didn't feel quite the same and a little faster, which isnt something i want in my next blade - to be any faster than my current one. Some Viscaria's ive tried feel similar - some not as much.

If you're looking for a TBS replacement and don't mind spending a bit of money, Nexy Calix 2 is an option. Reviews on mytt.

Reactions: jammmail
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Sometimes two of these blades from different models will feel more similar than two from the same model. There are really a lot of variables and you are looking for a very specific feeling so it won't be easy. If you are looking for the same, or less speed, a good place to start would be to get something a bit thinner and lighter than your current blade.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Sometimes two of these blades from different models will feel more similar than two from the same model. There are really a lot of variables and you are looking for a very specific feeling so it won't be easy. If you are looking for the same, or less speed, a good place to start would be to get something a bit thinner and lighter than your current blade.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Thanks Hipnotic - I agree.
I really like my current TBS and is fine for now, and is in decent condition but as they don't make it anymore if something does happen I don't have a spare and would need to find something else. I have my old Primorac (Japan) that I really like playing with but lacks pace. And as mentioned Ive tried similar to the TBS blades - but they feel faster or maybe more direct that I don't really think is the best way to go for me. Currently I have a M.Maze and a Harimoto ALC but again theres things I like then things i don't in comparison to the TBS.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011

Thanks Hipnotic - I agree.
I really like my current TBS and is fine for now, and is in decent condition but as they don't make it anymore if something does happen I don't have a spare and would need to find something else. I have my old Primorac (Japan) that I really like playing with but lacks pace. And as mentioned Ive tried similar to the TBS blades - but they feel faster or maybe more direct that I don't really think is the best way to go for me. Currently I have a M.Maze and a Harimoto ALC but again theres things I like then things i don't in comparison to the TBS.

I would also suggest trying to find a used one, blades have a tendency to get softer with time, especially composite blades, so a used one will feel less direct than a brand new one.