Xiom 36.5 ALXi Review

This user has no status.
Hi, i get one 36.5 ALXi blade and play it 3 times. Here are my firts impressions:

In my opinion, the wood is very well made and feels comfortable in the hand. But that's also because I like the concave handles from Xiom.
I like to play with the wood very much. It has a crisp touch and little vibration. Nevertheless, it has enough feel on the ball and you can control the strokes well.
I found the stroke similar and no big differences in the ball bounce, although I would give the alxi a slightly higher bounce. The alxi is clearly more sensitive in my eyes, but also somewhat less fast than the alx. It really feels like a light version. It's a little easier to play, but the tempo is not marginally faster.

I've played the blade on the VH again with a different rubbers. (1. J&H 47,5, 2. MX-D) I like the combination with the MX-D much better for my game. More catapult, more variability and simply fun to play from close and half distance. For a more detailed report, I would like to play it more.

So far, the good impression of the 36.5 ALXi remains.

Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
What happened? 😁 nothing going on here 😳

I've been playing the blade for a good 3-4 months now and can share a few more classifications with you. So far, my impression has not changed. The wood is a controlled carbon wood with enough speed. For me, it is for me one of the most controlled carbon blades I have played so far.

Comparison to other woods:

Ice Cream ASXi is faster than the 36.5 ALXi and is more demanding to play. The Control is lower.
The Hugo Calderano SAL is quite similar to the 36.5 ALXi. I think the biggest difference is the bounce and ball contact time due to the different face veneer (Koto / Limba) Both blades are very controlled, rather OFF/OFF-.
When comparing to the Acoustic Carbon Inner, it is still difficult. I would say the Acoustic is minimally faster, but is closer to the 36.5 ALXi than the Ice Cream.
The ZX-Gear IN is more explosive than the 36.5 ALXi. The ZX-Gear IN is more flexible and has a softer touch than the ALXi. The Control varies depending on how you play. (Some need more hardness for control, some very soft woods for feel).

says Feel the ball first.
says Feel the ball first.
Oct 2022
As my first post in this great forum, I'd like to share my review about the Xiom 36.5 ALXi

I'm a two wings attacker, upper intermediate level.

My ALXi is FL, nice grip, the handle is comfortable for big hands. The plate is 157x150mm, it weights 85 grams. Frequency is 1356 - 1378 Hz. I've used in the past Joola Vyzaryz Freeze, BTY Viscaria, , Freitas, Korbel, Hadraw VK, Primorac so to name a few. I'm trying to adapt to inner carbon type of blade, seeking more control while keeping a reasonably fast blade. After 3 trainings and 3 official matches in my local league, I'd like to say that ALXi is a strange beast, cause the feeling of the ball is not as good as you'd expect from an inner carbon, yet the speed of the blade is high, as the spin, and the final output of the shots is of very high quality. Whenever I attack, I have to carefully check the angle of my bat, otherwise the risk of the ball flying over the table or in the net is very high. I've paired it with Dynaryz ACC max on fh and Dynaryz ACC 2.0 on BH (1 training) and then to DNA Platinum M max on fh and nexxus el pro 48 2.1 on bh, and basically the sensations are the same with both setup. The arc of the ALXi is medium-low, confirmed with both setup. On bh, with the nexxus el pro 48 I'm able to rip bh with great results in speed and spin, better then with Dynaryz ACC, also because of the great characteristics of this blade.

I've recently tried the Sunflex LSH Tokyo Edition 2020, an inner carbon PBO (basically ZLC). It has a great feeling, a woody feeling, an higher arc than ALXi but the speed is a notch below hte Xiom. I'm evaluating both cause I'd like more ball feeling for league matches, without sacrificing too much speed and quality. Also the higher arc is a plus, cause it is safer to land the ball on the table, you feel safer during match play.

Reactions: jk1980 and Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2023
Hi @yogi_bear , thanks for a great review.
How would you compare it to a regular HL5? Seeing as the composition is quite similar.
My understanding is that the ALXi would be slightly (very slightly) stiffer than the HL5.

Also, if I were to upgrade from the HL5, which blade would be better? the 36.5 ALXi or the TMXi? Please feel free to suggest other blades as well.

Thanks in advance.