Grade this cut

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I don't like edge tape either. But I don't care about whether the rubber is close cut or has an overhang. I just don't care about the edge. And breaking a ball with the edge is not an issue I would worry about. If it happens, it kind of means your timing is a hair early because I don't think you can catch the tip and break the ball and I don't think you can catch the back edge. If you contact the ball with the leading edge, you are just a hair early on your contact. Not a big deal. But it should happen less and less as you train more.

All that being said, everyone has the right to choose what they care about and what they don't. I know that after a certain # of hours training, my racket (blade and rubbers) are going to be beat up no matter what I do. So, it does not make much difference to me. And I kind of like the look of a blade that has been through battle and shows the scars.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hmm, I think ball breaking edge hits are because of being late. They happen during a topspin especially during rally when there is really not much time to "time" your shot well and you need to give your swing great power.

Also wobbly balls also tremendously help with edge hits. I know some bloody long pip defenders who specially select the most wobbly balls when they play (on home turf). Or if they are on the opponents turf they intentionally ruin the balls by squeezing them tightly with their thumb and weakening the material...

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
not mentioned yet is the problem of peeling back the overhanging rubbers when having to dig out a slow ,short ball .
Ruining a ball ???? Who cares !!!! there is always another ball 😁

Now, if there would be an edge tape that can prevent serious damage to my blade edge (mainly in double-plays) I would indeed fit them.
I am however yet to find such a tape.

• Haha
Reactions: Zwill
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
not mentioned yet is the problem of peeling back the overhanging rubbers when having to dig out a slow ,short ball .

Now, if there would be an edge tape that can prevent serious damage to my blade edge (mainly in double-plays) I would indeed fit them.

Sounds like you like to slap your partner on the ass 😋 I have seen this happen so much during mixed doubles play... Poor rackets, poor bums...

This user has no status.
I give low marks. The cut is too perfect and there are no inconsistencies. With what I do with the edges of blades, I would need the rubbers to be cut a little messy. :)

Nah. It is quite a clean cut. But, I find cutting with a regular pair of scissors so easy, that I don't see any reason to fuss and make it better. And it takes me about 15 seconds to cut each side. Once you have done it enough times, it is very easy. I do use sharp scissors. But they are simple scissors and they work just fine for me.

All that being said, everyone has a right to their own way of doing things. And you got a very nice cut there.

:) I'm less careful when it comes to my own setup. This was for a customer so I always aim for perfection there (even if I'm about the only one who knows if something is a little off...!).

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hmm, I think ball breaking edge hits are because of being late. They happen during a topspin especially during rally when there is really not much time to "time" your shot well and you need to give your swing great power.

Also wobbly balls also tremendously help with edge hits. I know some bloody long pip defenders who specially select the most wobbly balls when they play (on home turf). Or if they are on the opponents turf they intentionally ruin the balls by squeezing them tightly with their thumb and weakening the material...

You are right, late....not early. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2020
I like the idea of using edge tape to help provide a guide to cut a clean overhang. I might try it since I tend to have lots of sponge edge tape around - so I'd only need to apply it once before removing it after (or just leaving it on depending on the customer).

I don't mind those extra grams due to overhang :).

Last edited:
This user has no status.

There are plastic/carbon fiber, or even metal edge tapes here on the Chinese market, and they are reusable too!

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
There are plastic/carbon fiber, or even metal edge tapes here on the Chinese market, and they are reusable too!

please dig out and post some websites where one can purchase these edgetapes, especially the reusable ones.
On some of my blades i still have some fiber-reinforced tape fitted but even they are an illusion when it comes to prevent real damage when
one hits the edge of the table, the partners blade or as also mentioned the partners bum 😁

Also mentioned here was the fact that edgetape influences the character of the blade. I know that Timo Boll has also said something to that effect.
Now my personal opinion is : Unless you are the princess who can feel the pea through 7 mattresses it might well be a load of bollocks. 😁
But wait a minute. If I would fit an edgetape made from metal or carbon fiber, then YES, this would most definitely influence the behavior of the blade.
It would make it stiffer for a start.

Finish with my rant...............you can all start shooting

Last edited:
Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Aging is a killer
................................................................... Or if they are on the opponents turf they intentionally ruin the balls by squeezing them tightly with their thumb and weakening the material...

Interesting and big thanks for that observation.
Something to look out for in future.

This user has no status.
Update: I attempted to use sponge edge tape to help guide me in giving a 1mm overhang cut and got decent results. It wasn't as perfect as I would've liked due to the sponge edge tape getting pressed in at times while I was cutting (which mean I lost the 'feel' of the actual edge) but it was much better than trying to do the same cut with no guide of any kind.

My next quest is going to be around looking for some flexible metal thingy that can wrap around the blade's head while I cut.