Grade this cut

This user has no status.
PXL%2020220113%20114335285%20MP%20jpg.jpeg

Butterfly Tenergy 05 rubbers on a Nittaku Violin blade

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CYtQ05aFHEV/?utm_medium=copy_link

Equipment: Olfa LWB snap off blade - it has a wave-shaped edge for cutting slippy hard-to-cut materials https://www.olfa.co.jp/en/blades/bladecategory/68

Reactions: dreto and Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Hmm... Did you use scalpel to cut it like this? If I have to grade the cut based on the contour of the blade it's very nice.
For practicality I would say not so much. I like my rubbers to be a bit bigger than my blade. That way I don't need an edge tape, I don't break balls with an edge hit and I don't damage my blade if I hit the table.

But it's a nice and clean cut. Apply an edge tape and be happy.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
looks smart but likeZwill, I long ago stopped caring much about how nice an tight my rubbers look on the blade.
However, being a gadget freak, tell us how much easier it is to trim the rubbers with those fancy blades, compared with the normal blades.
You might be able to talk me into buying some......................it won't take much
😁

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Oh, tried it with a cheap 2 EUR blade from Tesco or Aldi in the past. It works well enough. It looks like The_TT_Bat_Guy even has one of those fancy turntables where you can rotate the blade during the cut. At least that white plastic plate looks like one. I got myself a revolution scissor few years ago and it works great and you can control how much overhang you keep.

says Or is it more legit...
Sep 2019
Oh, tried it with a cheap 2 EUR blade from Tesco or Aldi in the past. It works well enough. It looks like The_TT_Bat_Guy even has one of those fancy turntables where you can rotate the blade during the cut. At least that white plastic plate looks like one. I got myself a revolution scissor few years ago and it works great and you can control how much overhang you keep.
Is it better using a scissor or a knife instead? i'd prefer to leave some overhang too just as you've mentioned rather than cutting it precisely with the blade's face/head dimension.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Is it better using a scissor or a knife instead? i'd prefer to leave some overhang too just as you've mentioned rather than cutting it precisely with the blade's face/head dimension.

I would use scissors. With the revolution or similar curved scissors the cut is not as pretty as with a knife but it's still very nice.
With a knife it's also possible to leave overhang. You stick on the blade a few layers of edge tape and after that you can cut around the blade. Once finished you can remove the edge tape. But this is just too bothersome.

Reactions: Colin Ksh
This user has no status.
Hmm... Did you use scalpel to cut it like this? If I have to grade the cut based on the contour of the blade it's very nice.
For practicality I would say not so much. I like my rubbers to be a bit bigger than my blade. That way I don't need an edge tape, I don't break balls with an edge hit and I don't damage my blade if I hit the table.

I used an almost identical Olfa cutter pictured with a specific type of Olfa snap off blade, the LWB, which has a wave design to help cut through smoother.

I should clarify that this cut was for one of my customers - for myself, I tend to just leave out edge tape or use the cheapish sponge ones, mostly because I tend to use one of my blades for testing rubbers. I also cut mine with a 1 to 2 mm overhang and my next quest is to get a perfect, even overhang cut (It's MUCH harder because there's nothing to use as a guide unlike 'normal' cuts where you can use the edge of the wood as a guide)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
looks smart but likeZwill, I long ago stopped caring much about how nice an tight my rubbers look on the blade.
However, being a gadget freak, tell us how much easier it is to trim the rubbers with those fancy blades, compared with the normal blades.
You might be able to talk me into buying some......................it won't take much
😁

biggrin.png
Have a look at my tools pictured in one of the replies
smile.png
I'd say all the cuts I take pictures off are for customers so I have an interest in having a perfect cut (mostly because I take pride in my own work and want to give a product that's as near to perfection as possible).

I would say that using the Olfa LWB wave edged snap off blades was about the easiest tool I've ever used on Tenergy rubbers. I get very wary when cutting them and other European-style sponges. For example, Xiom Vega rubbers are harder for me to get a clean cut - but I haven't tried with these new Olfa blades yet so I may have a better experience.

:D I used a similarly priced Wilko house-branded retractable snap off blade for a few years before questing to get a cleaner cut that I had in the past. Think I only spent £5 or so for the blade and a couple of sets of replacement blades.
I still use it from time to time.

Yep, finally decided to get one of the rotating cutting boards - they aren't cheap but they really help when I'm cutting in places outside my home where the table surfaces aren't level enough for me to do a perfect job.

I like the idea of using edge tape to help provide a guide to cut a clean overhang. I might try it since I tend to have lots of sponge edge tape around - so I'd only need to apply it once before removing it after (or just leaving it on depending on the customer).

Last edited:
Sep 2019

I would use scissors. With the revolution or similar curved scissors the cut is not as pretty as with a knife but it's still very nice.
With a knife it's also possible to leave overhang. You stick on the blade a few layers of edge tape and after that you can cut around the blade. Once finished you can remove the edge tape. But this is just too bothersome.

I see. It's another good way worth trying.

I've thought of another way, though I haven't try it myself yet. This might sound like a freak or a crazy idea.

This is it : Before cutting, place the ( blade+rubber sticked together with the rubber facing down) onto the flat surface like a table, then trace on the sponge along the contour with a thick/medium-thick marker or line pen. Using a thin marker or for instance something like a pen won't be evident in order to leave a overhang when you cut so better to use a thicker line weight markers which would cause like 1-2mm when traced. Then you cut it with scissor along the *OUTER edge of the line that you have traced on the sponge. Again, refering outer means to have a desire overhange cut.
That's it. Might sound like a strange way but seems quite simple and that might do the job.

This user has no status.
I see. It's another good way worth trying.

I've thought of another way, though I haven't try it myself yet. This might sound like a freak or a crazy idea.

This is it : Before cutting, place the ( blade+rubber sticked together with the rubber facing down) onto the flat surface like a table, then trace on the sponge along the contour with a thick/medium-thick marker or line pen. Using a thin marker or for instance something like a pen won't be evident in order to leave a overhang when you cut so better to use a thicker line weight markers which would cause like 1-2mm when traced. Then you cut it with scissor along the *OUTER edge of the line that you have traced on the sponge. Again, refering outer means to have a desire overhange cut.
That's it. Might sound like a strange way but seems quite simple and that might do the job.

Not crazy at all. I've done it several times myself - the advantage of this method is as you've already mentioned. The downsides are the inevitable markings (which won't go away - even if you only use a ballpoint pen) and it's hard to cut cleanly and precisely on the sponge without something physical pressing against the side of the cutting blade unless you're a surgeon :) I might revisit your idea to see if I can hone my method further to get a clean cut overhang

Sep 2019

Not crazy at all. I've done it several times myself - the advantage of this method is as you've already mentioned. The downsides are the inevitable markings (which won't go away - even if you only use a ballpoint pen) and it's hard to cut cleanly and precisely on the sponge without something physical pressing against the side of the cutting blade unless you're a surgeon :) I might revisit your idea to see if I can hone my method further to get a clean cut overhang

I'm longing for your feeback as well:)

Reactions: The_TT_Bat_Guy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
just a heads-up : The revolution scissors are great but expensive and they don;t do anything that any other good quality unit will do
AND !!!..... as most scissors they are completely useless for lefties 😁

I'm a lefty and it works a ton better than normal scissors, which is why I got them in the first place. I do have a good fiskars scissor but it's a bit big and a hassle to use with left hand. My right hand is too clumsy for that big scissor so it was always a pain in the ass to cut rubbers. With the revo style of scissor it's actually easy to use with the clumsy hand since it's not so unwieldy like a big scissor. (but I still cut rubbers with my left)

I have no affiliation with revolution and one can go on aliexpress and get these ones too. They look about the same as the revolution and if an alien came to earth couldn't really explain what is the 20x price difference...

I had a teammate who slightly messed up his new Dynaryz rubber with a bad scissor. I could tell from his face it hurt him deeply and if you have OCD you will never unsee the mistake.

Reactions: PingBirdPong
This user has no status.

I'm a lefty and it works a ton better than normal scissors, which is why I got them in the first place. I do have a good fiskars scissor but it's a bit big and a hassle to use with left hand. My right hand is too clumsy for that big scissor so it was always a pain in the ass to cut rubbers. With the revo style of scissor it's actually easy to use with the clumsy hand since it's not so unwieldy like a big scissor. (but I still cut rubbers with my left)

I have no affiliation with revolution and one can go on aliexpress and get these ones too. They look about the same as the revolution and if an alien came to earth couldn't really explain what is the 20x price difference...

I had a teammate who slightly messed up his new Dynaryz rubber with a bad scissor. I could tell from his face it hurt him deeply and if you have OCD you will never unsee the mistake.

And that is why I plan to devote my life to surgical practice: mostly for the good of mankind, and partially because I want better cut rubbers!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021

How often do one break the ball with the edge? Why don't you like edge tape?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I give low marks. The cut is too perfect and there are no inconsistencies. With what I do with the edges of blades, I would need the rubbers to be cut a little messy. :)

Nah. It is quite a clean cut. But, I find cutting with a regular pair of scissors so easy, that I don't see any reason to fuss and make it better. And it takes me about 15 seconds to cut each side. Once you have done it enough times, it is very easy. I do use sharp scissors. But they are simple scissors and they work just fine for me.

All that being said, everyone has a right to their own way of doing things. And you got a very nice cut there.

• Haha
Reactions: The_TT_Bat_Guy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018

How often do one break the ball with the edge? Why don't you like edge tape?

Very rarely. I do a lot of rope skipping so my timing is good. And of course since I leave an overhang it really prevents it. Honestly like every 100 hours of play I break a ball with an edgehit... I don't have a statistic since it's very uncommon.

My gripe with edge tape is that it makes the blade feel dull. I can't explain why but it does. It starts to peel off at the worst of times too and that gets annoying as hell. It's a Murphy's law thing, if it can peel off at the worst possible moment it will!

Also have you ever had a lucky shot with the edge of the blade? I did and I have it more if there is an overhang.

Reactions: matti77