Back to Forum

Tab

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19

Tab

I have been using Asics Gel-Rocket 9 and 10 for the last year. Both are very comfortable and seem to have good support and reasonable cushioning. However, when I train in a running-style New Balance 410 (they are not proper running shoes) the next day my feet and back hurt less than with the Asics.

I'm a slightly overweight big guy who wears a size 13UK, 14US or 49EU, so the selection is narrowed down to a few Asics or Mizuno models.

Can anyone recommend me some indoor shoes for synthetic floors that have good support and better cushioning than the usual indoor volleyball or badminton shoes that I'm currently wearing?

This user has no status.

TTD Member 17 52
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 17

User Info Menu

Nov 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews

I used to use Asics Gel Rockets in size US 14. I recently switched to ASICS Gel-Tactic 2 (US size 15). I find it has better cushioning/support and traction. However, if your feet are wide, the Gel Tactic might be too tight.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19
    Thank you. They seem to be better made than the Asics Gel Rocket.
    They seem to be out of stock everywhere (in size 14) but will order a pair as soon they are available.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 17 52
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 17

User Info Menu

Nov 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews

Interesting. They were in stock not too long ago, but I see almost every size is out of stock at the moment.
    I had tried the Gel-Tactic 2 in size 14 and it was too small. The 15 fit after a bit of a break in period.
    I always wore a size 14 with the Gel Rockets (and every other shoe). However for some reason the Gel-Tactics seem to run a bit smaller and narrower.

says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 16,494 15,065
    says I like to hit Heavy Topspin

Super Moderator 15,065 16,494
    You might think about looking at indoor volleyball or badminton shoes. I think many of those have more support than TT shoes.
    Setup 1: Blade by Nate: Vortex Spin Machine, FH Evolution MX-K, BH Evolution FX-P
    Setup 2: OSP Virtuoso Plus, FH Rasanter R 48, BH Rasanter R 48
    Spin is Everything

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19
    Quote Originally Posted by UpSideDownCarl
    You might think about looking at indoor volleyball or badminton shoes. I think many of those have more support than TT shoes.

Yes, the ones I am currently using –Asics Gel Rocket– are volleyball shoes, however their cushioning lacks for a big guy like me.
    Beyond this, not many options to choose from as Asics, Mizuno and even Adidas often suffer from stock shortages in larger sizes, even in their own online stores.

Last edited by zterm; 01-20-2022 at 04:57 AM.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Takkyu_ga_suki

Interesting. They were in stock not too long ago, but I see almost every size is out of stock at the moment.
    I had tried the Gel-Tactic 2 in size 14 and it was too small. The 15 fit after a bit of a break in period.
    I always wore a size 14 with the Gel Rockets (and every other shoe). However for some reason the Gel-Tactics seem to run a bit smaller and narrower.

I found a pair of Gel Tactics in size 15 on Amazon.es. 15 and 7.5 were the only sizes available. For €73 I didn't think much about it, although I think it's going to be a little big for me, as the Gel Rocket in 14 is really ample and comfortable. Sometimes I think I could be wearing a 13.5 if it was available.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 17 52
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 17

User Info Menu

Nov 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews

The Gel Rocket 14 was fine for me as well. Plenty of room.

You should be able to return them if they don't fit, provided you don't use them.

So did you purchase the shoes? If so, please post here and let us know whether they fit and if you use them what you think.

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19
    Quote Originally Posted by Takkyu_ga_suki

The Gel Rocket 14 was fine for me as well. Plenty of room.

You should be able to return them if they don't fit, provided you don't use them.

So did you purchase the shoes? If so, please post here and let us know whether they fit and if you use them what you think.

Amazon will deliver tomorrow. Will post as soon as I use them. Thanks!

The Following User Likes zterm's Post:

Takkyu_ga_suki

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19
    I received the Gel Tactic yesterday and think they are much better than the Gel Rocket.
    I would highlight a greater arch support, a better footfall and also a better cushioning when jumping.
    The toe box is also very wide, similar to the Gel Rocket 9.
    Unfortunately the size 15 or 50.5 is too big for me. When I stand on my longer foot and lift my hallux I see that I have almost an inch to spare.
    I found a pair of Gel Tactic in size 14 (from a not very reputable online store) and ordered them, paying with PayPal just in case. If they arrive, I think they may be my shoes for some time. :-)

This user has no status.

TTD Member 17 52
    T
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 52 17

User Info Menu

Nov 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews

Thanks for reporting back! Glad to hear you like the shoe. I was surprised to read you had almost an inch of clearance up front. Hopefully those size 14's arrive! I was very pleasantly surprised to find how much better the Gel Tactic was for me over the Rockets. Also, I think you'll find they provide much better traction..

This user has no status.

TTD Member 19 28
    Z
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 28 19
    The Gel Tactic in size 14 finally arrived and you were right.
    They are considerably narrower than the Gel Rocket, to the point that I prefer to stay with the size 15, which are long on me (not so much with thicker socks) but with which I feel more comfortable and with the foot better supported.