Stiga Cybershape Blade
https://imgur.com/z7HKvi8

https://imgur.com/1BK41ZL

https://imgur.com/QpUzZi2

https://imgur.com/5FtpdfX

Weight: 84 grams
Thickness: 6.1mm
Blade head Size: 155mm x 157mm
Plies: 7 (Koto Outer -2nd layer ayous – CCF layer –kiri core)
Speed: Off to Off+

I finally got the Stiga Cybershape blade and tested it for more than 3 weeks. The Cybershape blade comes in a surprisingly great packaging unlike the regular and very simplified packaging of Stiga blades that they already have. I think the packaging that can outdo the Cybershape box are their boxes that are for their special or limited-edition blades. The box contains instructions on how to care for the racket and the box design is out of the ordinary packaging for a Stiga blade. The packaging really stands out from the rest of their blade boxes because this one is unlike any other blade box they have made and it is beautiful to look at. The Cybershape is unique and I did not expect Stiga to risk on this design because it is fairly unconventional and groundbreaking compared to regular-shaped blades in the market. I was doubtful at first because there are types of players like me who are bothered by certain blade designs due to being on the little obsessive-compulsive side but I really wanted to give the Cybershape a try. I believe it is the way a blade plays and the performance that makes it a great blade that the focus should be on. In terms of looks, the hexagonal shape is not for everybody but the more you look at the Cybershape blade, the more it is beautiful to look at. IMHO, this looks better than the Damien Eloi Blade which looks like a violin because of its shape.
The Cybershape has a cross sectional dimension of 155mm width and a 157 length when I measured it from the upper tip of the handle to the edge of the blade head for its height and the width on the widest parts of the blade head. The sides measure each 8cm and 7 cm alternately starting from the top of the blade. For years, I have been bothering Stiga about the neck or wing part of their blades because we all know Stiga blades need sanding on their blades. The Cybershape on this area has a good feature because due to the angled designed on the bottom part of the blade, the neck or wing part is much smaller and it does not bother my middle finger anymore. IMHO, you would need sanding of the neck part anymore for this blade. The top koto ply needs to be lacquered because the seal is thin so I suggest you would still seal the blade surface before attaching rubbers to it. The metal logo is a first too from Stiga. The changing of colors when exposed to light at different angles reveals change in color to either bluish or purple hue and this is beautiful to see. I would say the construction of this blade is very detailed and impressive.

The Cybershape’s speed is actually only medium fast. Although it favors more on the off+ side, it is still not that fast compared to previous Inspira, Legacy or Dynasty blades. It is plenty fast but despite having a 6.1mm to 6.2mm thickness, it is not on par with the previously produced blades by Stiga in terms of speed. IMHO, Stiga made this blade as a more controllable blade because of their DNA Platinum rubber series. The Platinum rubbers especially the Hard and Extra Hard versions are one of the fastest rubbers in the market right now so it is only fitting to pair it with a controllable blade. I have tested the regular DNA H, Dragon Grip and an entry-level Chinese rubber with the Cybershape and this cannot be categorized as a slow setup. Even with the entry level Chinese rubber, I never felt the blade to be slow. In fairness, I did boost the entry level Chinese rubber but the difference between the boosted and unboosted one is very small in terms of speed so it would still indicate that the blade has more than enough speed to cover the Chinese rubber’s slow speed. I encourage everyone to maybe consider a setup that has a more controllable blade with fast rubbers instead of the opposite because the blade is like an extension of your arm and it is easier to handle a more controllable blade rather than using a very fast one even with a slower pair of rubbers.
The Stiga Cybershape has a medium stiff feel. The 6.1mm to 6.2mm thicknessis thicker than most of the looping blades in the market that has a speed range of Off to Off+. The Cybershape’s performance is not really mainly on its speed but rather on the good and unique feel plus a balance of easy handling and good speed. Do not expect too much speed from the Cybershape but expect the good ball feedback in your hand to play better. Due to my being partially obsessive-compulsive, had this been a regular shaped-blade this could have been the perfect blade but if you can look past the hexagonal shape of the blade then the blade’s performance will make up with the unique shape. The arc is mostly affected by the rubbers you use. I used the DNA H regular, Dragon Grip and an entry-level Chinese rubber for the test and the set up overall has a medium to medium low arc.

Now for some common questions from most players. How is the vibration in Cybershape? The vibration is really minimal! This has the finest feeling of all Stiga composite blades right now and never had excessive vibrations. Does the Cybershape help players hit better with its increased hitting area? Yes and no. If your hitting area is scattered, the large sweet spot will help you in a way but for trained players usually the ball hits an area of 2x2 inches or more or less 3x3 inches for most trained players in the middle of the blade head so I do not think it matters a lot. Can you use rubbers from normal shaped blades to the Cybershape? I know people have concerns about transferring and reusing rubbers due to the unique shape of the Cybershape but only rubbers from large headed blades like defensive blades could be reused with the Cybershape. Do the angled or pointed sides of the blade hit the table when doing short strokes like dropshots or flicks? I do not think so as I have not experienced it. I did hit the angled side of the blade with the ball but it was more due to timing because the blade was lighter than my original setup.
Stiga took a lot of risks business-wise in making this blade and in my opinion, they succeeded! I have been told Stiga sold a lot of Cybershape blades after Truls Moregard reached the finals. Some would argue that he is a pro and he can use any blade but we can also argue the other way around that the blade really plays well and I believe it goes beyond the shape. I am more focused on how it plays as what I was pointing before. This is a great blade if you can look past the unconventional shape. I have seen some blade makers online follow the shape of the blade so it might be something! Overall, this blade will not disappoint you in terms of performance and feel.