Viscaria Super ALC release!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
ML started as a forehand dominant player like most people back in the 2000s. HL5 or W968 are designed for FH dominant style. BH is soft and requires fast and strong swing.

BH dominant is the mainstream style since the introduction of the ABS ball. Hence more people are using Vis type for better bh power.

Nonetheless, WCQ has switched to W968, he will be the few in this generation that still focus on mid distance two wing loop.

Why does VIS have better BH power than HL5?

How do you know WCQ switched to W968?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You guys are funny. Faster isn't necessarily better. A lot of mid and lower level players don't realize, the pros usually are not using the fastest equipment. They don't need to. They can generate the power and speed whenever they want because they have good technique. A faster blade will always generate less spin. That is a tradeoff. The spin is more important. So, a blade that is too much faster than a Viscaria is not what most pros would want.

A lot of this thread sounds to me like people of mid and lower level trying to figure out what equipment choices top pros make based on crazy ideas that apply to lower level players but don't apply to top pros.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
You guys are funny. Faster isn't necessarily better. A lot of mid and lower level players don't realize, the pros usually are not using the fastest equipment. They don't need to. They can generate the power and speed whenever they want because they have good technique. A faster blade will always generate less spin. That is a tradeoff. The spin is more important. So, a blade that is too much faster than a Viscaria is not what most pros would want.

A lot of this thread sounds to me like people of mid and lower level trying to figure out what equipment choices top pros make based on crazy ideas that apply to lower level players but don't apply to top pros.

No thats not quite true. Is FZD switching to SuperVis? If yes, presumably its because he wants the extra speed. But if thats true, why didnt he just use a faster blade to begin with?

If your statement was true, he wouldnt be switching to super vis.

• Haha
Reactions: thomas.pong

NDH

says Spin to win!

No thats not quite true. Is FZD switching to SuperVis? If yes, presumably its because he wants the extra speed. But if thats true, why didnt he just use a faster blade to begin with?

If your statement was true, he wouldnt be switching to super vis.

Is he? Is FZD switching to Super VIS?

Butterfly haven't announced that he is, and only today came out and said he was using Dignics 09c on his backhand with a "custom" Butterfly blade.

If FZD wanted speed, he wouldn't use Dignics 09c on his backhand.

Why did Ovtcharov want an "inner" carbon blade which is generally slower than an outer carbon blade?

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but don't buy the marketing hype......

Why don't everyone use Super ZLC blades? If people want pure speed, there are SO many options out there - Heck, Tamca 5000 is generally faster than ALC, ZLC and other options.....

But what we've actually seen, is people choosing equipment that will give them max spin, with a little less speed.

The only person I know of, who has actually said they wanted something a bit quicker is Timo Boll, and that's just because his arm speed isn't as quick anymore and he's getting old.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews

Is he? Is FZD switching to Super VIS?

Butterfly haven't announced that he is, and only today came out and said he was using Dignics 09c on his backhand with a "custom" Butterfly blade.

If FZD wanted speed, he wouldn't use Dignics 09c on his backhand.

Why did Ovtcharov want an "inner" carbon blade which is generally slower than an outer carbon blade?

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but don't buy the marketing hype......

Why don't everyone use Super ZLC blades? If people want pure speed, there are SO many options out there - Heck, Tamca 5000 is generally faster than ALC, ZLC and other options.....

But what we've actually seen, is people choosing equipment that will give them max spin, with a little less speed.

The only person I know of, who has actually said they wanted something a bit quicker is Timo Boll, and that's just because his arm speed isn't as quick anymore and he's getting old.

More people are switching to hybrid rubbers, which are generally somewhat slower or require more efforts to get the same speed. Why not to try to get faster blade to compensate this? Especially, if they already use Viscaria or something with similar structure.
And well, guess there are a lot of table tennis players here that are also not as quick anymore and are getting old...
Anyway, I'm going to wait for first reviews and then make up my mind regarding it. But sounds quite promising for me (however, I might need to start looking for slower rubber on my BH though)

NDH

says Spin to win!

More people are switching to hybrid rubbers, which are generally somewhat slower or require more efforts to get the same speed. Why not to try to get faster blade to compensate this? Especially, if they already use Viscaria or something with similar structure.
And well, guess there are a lot of table tennis players here that are also not as quick anymore and are getting old...
Anyway, I'm going to wait for first reviews and then make up my mind regarding it. But sounds quite promising for me (however, I might need to start looking for slower rubber on my BH though)

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you think people would chose to use slower rubber that requires more effort, and then opt for a faster blade which cancels out some of the benefit of the slower rubbers?

If you stick Dignics 09c on a fast blade like the Schlager Carbon, the ball will bounce off much quicker than it will compared with a Harimoto ALC.

In other words, you get more speed, but less spin.....

I also don't think the players that are getting older reading these forums, will benefit from taking a step up in speed either 😂

Use what you want, use what makes you happy - If that happiness comes from the fact that Butterfly have developed a new blade..... Or the FZD signature bat, then use it!

I am 100% you with you on that, and my purchasing decisions are pretty much driven by the same thing.

But people who probably couldn't string 3 good quality loops together are trying to argue online for the benefits of something like the Super Viscaria as if it's actually going to make a difference to their game.

Embrace the marketing...... It's a perfectly legitimate reason to buy something!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Im not planning on buying any new BTY blade. I just want to understand how they are picking their blade. If they want speed, fine. If they want spin, fine.

If they want more spin, then they shouldnt be switching to the Super ALC or Super ZLC. So if you do see FZD switching, that means they arent looking for more spin out of the blade.

But if they want more speed, I just ask the question: why didn't they just use a faster blade to begin with? HL5 is faster. And I actually think HL5 might even be spinnier than VIS.

NDH

says Spin to win!
Im not planning on buying any new BTY blade. I just want to understand how they are picking their blade. If they want speed, fine. If they want spin, fine.

If they want more spin, then they shouldnt be switching to the Super ALC or Super ZLC. So if you do see FZD switching, that means they arent looking for more spin out of the blade.

But if they want more speed, I just ask the question: why didn't they just use a faster blade to begin with? HL5 is faster. And I actually think HL5 might even be spinnier than VIS.
I’m not an expert on what the pros use, but my understanding is that FZD has been using a Viscaria for the majority of his career?

Whilst he’s now officially using a “custom”, the general consensus seems to be….. it’s a Viscaria of sorts?

Players generally don’t get to the top of the game, and then change equipment drastically.

You can almost guarantee, that any FZD branded blade will be extremely similar to what he’s already been using.

Any differences won’t ever be known by us mere mortals, and a lot will be shielded in marketing and sponsorship.

Unless a new technology comes along that offers more spin, more control and more speed, the variations of what we have are all going to be similar.

But yeah, I’m interested to see what his branded blade will look like, and what properties it has.

If it’s far away from the Viscaria on the butterfly blade matrix, I’d be very surprised.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews

I don't want to sound rude, but why do you think people would chose to use slower rubber that requires more effort, and then opt for a faster blade which cancels out some of the benefit of the slower rubbers?

If you stick Dignics 09c on a fast blade like the Schlager Carbon, the ball will bounce off much quicker than it will compared with a Harimoto ALC.

In other words, you get more speed, but less spin.....

I also don't think the players that are getting older reading these forums, will benefit from taking a step up in speed either 😂

Use what you want, use what makes you happy - If that happiness comes from the fact that Butterfly have developed a new blade..... Or the FZD signature bat, then use it!

I am 100% you with you on that, and my purchasing decisions are pretty much driven by the same thing.

But people who probably couldn't string 3 good quality loops together are trying to argue online for the benefits of something like the Super Viscaria as if it's actually going to make a difference to their game.

Embrace the marketing...... It's a perfectly legitimate reason to buy something!

Do you think that people always choose slower rubber that requires more effort after making analysis of their game and lots of thinking and making conclusion that they really need it? For example, I just wanted to try some hybrid rubber (yes, due to hype around hybrid rubbers 😁). But I liked it and not ready to abandon it. But I lack some speed, a little bit of it, tiny bit... At least I think so😜Maybe I'm just speed maniac. So yes, I'm ready to loose some short game and a little bit of spin to become faster, not sure about proportions though.

And since I'm getting older and read these forums... I'm still recovering after abandoning table tennis for a 5-6 year break. My physical shape is getting better, but way to slow. I can play for just up to 4 tournament matches before getting too tired to play actively (it was just 1 match a year ago, so it is not that bad) and I would benefit from players returning my loops not so often and speed might help here. Since I hope that I'll be able to handle speed for next 5-7 years before I'll be forced to start decreasing speed of my setup or getting rubbers with more catapult.

I'm still not 100% sure that Super ALC will make my game better (from my experience, changing equipment, changes my game, but doesn't influence actual results, except against 1-2 players), but it might make it a little bit less physically demanding. Or maybe I'll just boost my rubber someday. Still hesitating about both options.

But I can agree, that for 80% or readers, using Vis SALC will make it worse, for 15% it won't change anything and another 5% will benefit from it (actual percentage might differ, but I guess you got my point here)

P.S. Maybe I just need to practice more, since when I used to practice 5+ times a week I didn't think about changing equipment at all 🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
If you need more speed there are already dozens of blades available that are faster than TB ALC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022

I think it s also for mid distance and far from the table player. Viscaria didnt match with this type of style that why we had Viscaria golden and Lin gaoyuan Alc. Also this two blade are soft blade comparing with viscaria so it gives more feeling and more controle specially with hard rubber