Viscaria Super ALC release!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I wouldn't say it's marketing because they wrote:
"After many years of research and development..."
"It took about 10 years from the first blade prototype to the launch of this new product..."

@Gonzo see it's for us amateurs too:
"Although the Viscaria Super ALC was developed for the use of top professionals, the blade has characteristics suitable for a wide range of players; from intermediate to advanced level."
There's a caveat though, if you're not playing with Dignics 09C you can't count on big amount of rotation without compromising on speed.
"The combination with Dignics 09C is recommended for players who value the amount of rotation that can be imparted on the ball, without compromising on speed."
Luckily I play with D09C so this blade is for me!
Can't wait.

Edit: Now the only problem is will I buy this or new FZD blade which is also going to be super because it's named after number 1 player. I think the safest option is to buy both.

Last edited:

NDH

says Spin to win!
I wouldn't say it's marketing because they wrote:
"After many years of research and development..."
"It took about 10 years from the first blade prototype to the launch of this new product..."

@Gonzo see it's for us amateurs too:
"Although the Viscaria Super ALC was developed for the use of top professionals, the blade has characteristics suitable for a wide range of players; from intermediate to advanced level."
There's a caveat though, if you're not playing with Dignics 09C you can't count on big amount of rotation without compromising on speed.
"The combination with Dignics 09C is recommended for players who value the amount of rotation that can be imparted on the ball, without compromising on speed."
Luckily I play with D09C so this blade is for me!
Can't wait.

You don't think that's marketing spiel? We all have our opinions (and personally, I love a good bit of marketing to make the hype real), but this literally screams marketing.

There is only so much they can do with new technologies/materials at this point, so they have to make it seem amazing.

The stats look *very* similar to ALC, but the proof will be in how it plays.

Also.... "The combination of Dignics 09c" has to be the most obvious marketing tactic of the lot......

Of course they are going to recommend their most expensive rubber to go with their new blade!

At the end of the day, if it makes people feel good (and I'm someone who pretty much buys a blade because I like the player, design, or some other irrelevant reason), then great!

But is this realistically going to be much different? I shouldn't think so.......

Time will tell!

This user has no status.

You don't think that's marketing spiel? We all have our opinions (and personally, I love a good bit of marketing to make the hype real), but this literally screams marketing.

There is only so much they can do with new technologies/materials at this point, so they have to make it seem amazing.

The stats look *very* similar to ALC, but the proof will be in how it plays.

Also.... "The combination of Dignics 09c" has to be the most obvious marketing tactic of the lot......

Of course they are going to recommend their most expensive rubber to go with their new blade!

At the end of the day, if it makes people feel good (and I'm someone who pretty much buys a blade because I like the player, design, or some other irrelevant reason), then great!

But is this realistically going to be much different? I shouldn't think so.......

Time will tell!

Exactly

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2020
The new SALC might drive the price of Vis down, if Butterfly continues to manufacture Vis.

Not many new blade plays well for amateur. Many of them are faster, harder and lighter than their older generation. Still loving my 2015 Vis and old W968. They are slower but the feedback is great.

Hi, do you use Victas TDE on BH?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
This didn't take years of R&D, they probably have this on the shelf for years. This is the thing, see the thin vertical blue line in the regular ALC fabric?

ALC%20jpg.jpeg

That does very little terms of performance, it acts as a spacer to control the amount of carbon in the weave, but it also serves as a counterfeiting measure. This is Butterlfy's proprietary weave, nobody else has it. In fact, if you want to spot a fake ALC blade that's the first thing you can look for, just look at the bottom of a blade and you should see blue dots, not blue lines. Butterfly buys all their other fibers, for example I use the exact same type of ZLC and SZLC they do, I've seen the inside of these blades and confirmed it myself. If you want to release a blade with a fiber that's already on the market the cost is not that big, just buy a few hundred m2 rolls and make some, if it flops, no biggie. But coming out with a proprietary weave is a huge investment, you better be sure it will work out, it can't flop. So they have been waiting for the right moment in time, perhaps with the right player to back up the sales with his own blade... First they exhausted all the other possibilities releasing all kinds of blades which are basically just the same. If the strategy works, why change it?

In terms of performance, SALC is nothing special, it doesn't take long to figure out. If I did, they surely did it a long time ago. But I can't get my fabrics made, I have to buy what's already out there, so finding one that's suitable it's not easy. In the original ALC they had Carbon and "Arylate" running vertically, with a ratio of about 4:1. In the horizontal direction they had Carbon and "Arylate" in a ratio of 1:1. The fibers in the vertical directions control the stiffness, if you want more speed you increase the stiffness, so they increased the amount of carbon by reducing the space between the threads. Fibers in the horizontal direction control the central deflection, this what gives us the "touch". So they removed the carbon in that direction and now just have "Arylate". Voilá, a little more stiffness (bigger reaction property) with a softer touch (lower vibration property).

says regularly shitposting
says regularly shitposting
Jul 2019
yo, it is not hard to understand point of view of top players, they have harder rubber as Dignics, and old viscaria is too slow
If you had chance to play Timo Boll's Tenergy you will know something why he choose Primorac Carbon but he used SK7 in one match too
so
you don't need faster blade but with harder rubbers you need very soft blades to create arc and more bounce. that's why they re-made viscaria super alc because it must be soft but not mushy like kevlar,
so super alc is like kevlar kevlar 3D printed carbon.

Also they needed more money for the money castle they are building at hq.