Elite TTD Member 114 1,023
    M
    This user has no status.

Elite TTD Member 1,023 114

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews

Explanation for traditional CNT setup?

Everybody knows the traditional CNT setup is tacky FH rubber and grippy BH rubber. But what is the reason for this?

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think they choose FH tacky because of superior serve and short push game, as well as spin potential.

Why don't they prefer a tacky BH rubber as well? (such as Rakza Z, Dignics 09c). Don't they want superior push game on their backhand as well?

The Following User Likes Michael Zhuang's Post:

Attitude

says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Advanced TTD Member 245 403
    says Verified Cheater, Banned by ITTF :)

Advanced TTD Member 403 245
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Zhuang
    Everybody knows the traditional CNT setup is tacky FH rubber and grippy BH rubber. But what is the reason for this?

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think they choose FH tacky because of superior serve and short push game, as well as spin potential.

Why don't they prefer a tacky BH rubber as well? (such as Rakza Z, Dignics 09c). Don't they want superior push game on their backhand as well?
    Personal preference. Ma long uses H3 on BH as well, and he does great. On the other hand, you can try to use a 41 degree H3 on your BH, and then you will understand why.

The Following User Likes PingBirdPong's Post:

JStiga7

Modestly, Leo

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 944 1,523
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 1,523 944

Some players are using tacky Bh rubber to increase control and spin. ML, Chen Meng, Xu Xin all use tacky rubber on BH.

says May the Spin be with you!

Senior TTD Member 354 575

Senior TTD Member 575 354

Chinese Philosophy of Table Tennis Equipment · PingSunday

Just read this article by ERT. It is well explained. Kudos to ERT for answering this pertinent question.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib
    Some players are using tacky Bh rubber to increase control and spin. ML, Chen Meng, Xu Xin all use tacky rubber on BH.

What rubber is Cheng Meng and Xu Xin using on BH?

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    Chinese Philosophy of Table Tennis Equipment · PingSunday

Just read this article by ERT. It is well explained. Kudos to ERT for answering this pertinent question.

I had a look at this, but it doesnt actually answer my question about why CNT doesn't traditionally use tacky rubber on BH.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

What rubber is Cheng Meng and Xu Xin using on BH?

Chen Meng uses H8 and Xu Xin is using a Nation H3

This user has no status.

TTD Member 84 73
    J
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 73 84

User Info Menu

Mar 2016
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews

FZD uses 09c on BH. At least when I saw him at Houston WTTC. Many players seem to be switching with this trend in mind.

The Following User Likes JediJesseS's Post:

Shine

Senior TTD Member 354 575

Senior TTD Member 575 354

I had a look at this, but it doesnt actually answer my question about why CNT doesn't traditionally use tacky rubber on BH.

BH has a different stroke mechanics than FH. The body is in the way and you cannot swing as big perimeter compared to FH. In other words, FH swing is long whereas BH is compact. As such, if one uses non-tensor rubber like H3 on BH, without the assistance of catapult / trampoline effect, your return can be weak. A weak return or slow return when faced with high skilled opponent, they have the fast reflex and excellent footwork to get into good position to return a powerful shot. That is why a catapult / trampoline type sponge will bounce back the ball faster compared to non catapult ones which in turn will make the opponent unable to return a powerful return.

p/s What I described is applicable to in high level play. In low level play, like my club level, I am still able to use non catapult / trampoline rubber on my BH because I desire control and placement over power and speed as my opponents are not that high skill ( as compared to pro players ). I can still get away with slow return. My immediate goal is to put the ball safely over the net so that the rally continue ( hopefully in my favour )

The Following 2 Users Like Gozo's Post:

dajdosta and Tinykin

Last edited by Gozo; 01-20-2022 at 06:00 AM.

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gozo
    BH has a different stroke mechanics than FH. The body is in the way and you cannot swing as big perimeter compared to FH. In other words, FH swing is long whereas BH is compact. As such, if one uses non-tensor rubber like H3 on BH, without the assistance of catapult / trampoline effect, your return can be weak. A weak return or slow return when faced with high skilled opponent, they have the fast reflex and excellent footwork to get into good position to return a powerful shot. That is why a catapult / trampoline type sponge will bounce back the ball faster compared to non catapult ones which in turn will make the opponent unable to return a powerful return.

p/s What I described is applicable to in high level play. In low level play, like my club level, I am still able to use non catapult / trampoline rubber on my BH because I desire control and placement over power and speed as my opponents are not that high skill ( as compared to pro players ). I can still get away with slow return. My immediate goal is to put the ball safely over the net so that the rally continue ( hopefully in my favour )

Right, I get that many players prefer to have catapult on backhand. But why not Catapult with tackiness? Why does the CNT traditionally choose to have non-tacky backhand rubber?

This user has no status.

M
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Aug 2021
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SFF_lib

Chen Meng uses H8 and Xu Xin is using a Nation H3

Doesnt Chen Meng find it hard to generate power on BH with H8? Why would she choose that over a tensor? Even FZD is using Dignics 09c

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

Doesnt Chen Meng find it hard to generate power on BH with H8? Why would she choose that over a tensor? Even FZD is using Dignics 09c

H8 has a different sponge. The sponge is hard, but lively. The new H8-80 has even larger holes in the sponge. It plays like a tensor.

This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 2,870 5,961
    This user has no status.

Master TTD Member 5,961 2,870
    The CNT rubbers are not that fast even with boosting, They might be easier to use but all those power strokes are from the players themselves and not the rubber.

The Following 3 Users Like yogi_bear's Post:

Hasna Haura Hayfa, IB66 and 1 other

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor at your service!