Explanation for traditional CNT setup?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Everybody knows the traditional CNT setup is tacky FH rubber and grippy BH rubber. But what is the reason for this?

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think they choose FH tacky because of superior serve and short push game, as well as spin potential.

Why don't they prefer a tacky BH rubber as well? (such as Rakza Z, Dignics 09c). Don't they want superior push game on their backhand as well?

• Haha
Reactions: Attitude
This user has no status.
Everybody knows the traditional CNT setup is tacky FH rubber and grippy BH rubber. But what is the reason for this?

Correct me if Im wrong, but I think they choose FH tacky because of superior serve and short push game, as well as spin potential.

Why don't they prefer a tacky BH rubber as well? (such as Rakza Z, Dignics 09c). Don't they want superior push game on their backhand as well?
Personal preference. Ma long uses H3 on BH as well, and he does great. On the other hand, you can try to use a 41 degree H3 on your BH, and then you will understand why.

• Haha
Reactions: JBH7
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Some players are using tacky Bh rubber to increase control and spin. ML, Chen Meng, Xu Xin all use tacky rubber on BH.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021

Chinese Philosophy of Table Tennis Equipment · PingSunday

Just read this article by ERT. It is well explained. Kudos to ERT for answering this pertinent question.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016

FZD uses 09c on BH. At least when I saw him at Houston WTTC. Many players seem to be switching with this trend in mind.

Reactions: Shine
Mar 2021

I had a look at this, but it doesnt actually answer my question about why CNT doesn't traditionally use tacky rubber on BH.

BH has a different stroke mechanics than FH. The body is in the way and you cannot swing as big perimeter compared to FH. In other words, FH swing is long whereas BH is compact. As such, if one uses non-tensor rubber like H3 on BH, without the assistance of catapult / trampoline effect, your return can be weak. A weak return or slow return when faced with high skilled opponent, they have the fast reflex and excellent footwork to get into good position to return a powerful shot. That is why a catapult / trampoline type sponge will bounce back the ball faster compared to non catapult ones which in turn will make the opponent unable to return a powerful return.

p/s What I described is applicable to in high level play. In low level play, like my club level, I am still able to use non catapult / trampoline rubber on my BH because I desire control and placement over power and speed as my opponents are not that high skill ( as compared to pro players ). I can still get away with slow return. My immediate goal is to put the ball safely over the net so that the rally continue ( hopefully in my favour )

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
BH has a different stroke mechanics than FH. The body is in the way and you cannot swing as big perimeter compared to FH. In other words, FH swing is long whereas BH is compact. As such, if one uses non-tensor rubber like H3 on BH, without the assistance of catapult / trampoline effect, your return can be weak. A weak return or slow return when faced with high skilled opponent, they have the fast reflex and excellent footwork to get into good position to return a powerful shot. That is why a catapult / trampoline type sponge will bounce back the ball faster compared to non catapult ones which in turn will make the opponent unable to return a powerful return.

p/s What I described is applicable to in high level play. In low level play, like my club level, I am still able to use non catapult / trampoline rubber on my BH because I desire control and placement over power and speed as my opponents are not that high skill ( as compared to pro players ). I can still get away with slow return. My immediate goal is to put the ball safely over the net so that the rally continue ( hopefully in my favour )

Right, I get that many players prefer to have catapult on backhand. But why not Catapult with tackiness? Why does the CNT traditionally choose to have non-tacky backhand rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

Doesnt Chen Meng find it hard to generate power on BH with H8? Why would she choose that over a tensor? Even FZD is using Dignics 09c

H8 has a different sponge. The sponge is hard, but lively. The new H8-80 has even larger holes in the sponge. It plays like a tensor.