Blade and Rubber selection advice please

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Good day all. I am a recreational club player, intermediate level and would consider myself all around with a tendency to lean toward the offensive end of the all around spectrum. I have been using an Andro Ligna ALL+ with Acuda Blue P2 on both sides for several years. It is a very light blade and I feel more comfortable with light blades. I have been playing pretty well with this setup, but can't generate the spin I want.

I recently had a chance to try a Butterfly Timo Boll Spirit with Tenergy 19 on both sides. The weight difference was WAY too much for me to handle going from a 75g blade to an 89g blade. I was really impressed with the rubber and my ability to put MUCH more spin on the ball than I ever have before. I was able to keep it on the table and control my shots in the short and close to table game, however my attacks were going off the table.

I have a $300 gift certificate for paddle palace and I am ready to upgrade. The price isn't really an issue so If I have to spend more or less, so be it. I am looking for suggestions to up my game without going that heavy. I believe somewhere in the middle of that weight would be acceptable. Is there a lighter blade that PP carries, that I could put Tenergy 19 on at least one side? Would I be wasting my money on that rubber by putting it on a light blade? I really like the spin it produces and I am trying to accomplish just that. Getting a much more spinny rubber, a little more speed that what I am currently getting without all that weight I tried on the butterfly spirit.

I am new to this forum and I am hoping to get some advice from experts here that can lead me in the right direction. Once I make a choice and the rubber is on, there is no going back. Thanks so much for the input everyone!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

Welcome to TTD!
I don't know the Acuda Blue P2 rubber personally, so I can't advise you on an upgrade, but I'm sure you'll get some helpful input from others soon.
In terms of blades: the Ligna ALL is a quality blade and it sounds like you like it. Personally, I'd be slow to move away from a blade I really liked.
All the best!

says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

You said that the Acuda Blue P2 has been on both sides for 'several years', 3 years+?? without changing sheets?? or do you replace them fairly regularly? every 3 to 6 months??
T19 has high spin capabilities, but Acuda Blue P2 is no slouch regarding spin either, loads of spin can be produced with this rubber as well !!!

If the same sheets of Acuda Blue P2 have been on the blade for a long duration (years), they may just be too old!!!

Age can make a rubber lose it's ability to spin the ball, it becomes smooth and slippery!!! Bearing in mind that some modern rubbers lose performance quite quickly, related to both duration on the blade and hours used for play etc It's normal for serious recreational players to change their rubbers very regularly, every 3 to 6 months depending of number of hours played.

Normally forum members would ask if you have any video of yourself playing, so they can actually 'see' what sort of level you play at. This gives way more info and therefore you will get a better quality of reply based on evidence rather than speculation.

Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022

I have changed that rubber 2 times over the 2 +years I have used the Acuda P2. The current rubber was replaced about 6 months ago and is still in pretty good shape. I noticed a significant difference in the amount of spin I put on the ball with the T19 compared to current rubber. This is what has made me want to investigate using the T19.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022

Thank you. I do love the blade, but again I am interested in that T19 and a possible upgrade in blade weight to support that rubber. Or I could be wasting my money on a blade that it will not work on. Thanks for the reply.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
You'd be surprised how quickly you adjust to weight increases, and in fact may come to search out heavier blades over time - I certainly did. As a player with offensive tendencies you may find that the added weight gives you more power and control. Just worth bearing in mind before you make you purchase decision. Good luck..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022

I certainly don't mind going up in weight. I am hoping I can put some T19 on a blade in the middle of the two, maybe around 80-82g. Thanks for your input.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews

I have changed that rubber 2 times over the 2 +years I have used the Acuda P2. The current rubber was replaced about 6 months ago and is still in pretty good shape. I noticed a significant difference in the amount of spin I put on the ball with the T19 compared to current rubber. This is what has made me want to investigate using the T19.

Hi,

Dan did a great review of T19 comparing to T05 and would be worth viewing!!

There are other options out there, but there are just loads of people that really love the Tenergy series of rubbers, for quality, durability, and performance you get what you pay for!!
They can be a little unforgiving, but many ‘top end’ rubbers are!!

It may be a case of keep your blade and put on a sheet of T19 and see how it plays, if you get the increased spin and a little speed increase that you are looking for, then do you really need to get a new blade? You can always buy a new blade at a later date!!
Also a gradual change of equipment may be beneficial, you already know and like your current blade and will only have to adjust to the new rubbers!!

Of course you can just jump in and get a completely new set up!!!

Reactions: Manto76