H301x to Ma Long 5 or 5x

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Read 6 reviews
Hi all

I am interested in hearing from anybody who has made the transition either from 301x to ML5 (x) or vice versa - I am keen to understand the key differences in how these blades play in terms of feel, speed and control in particular.

I'm aware of the difference in top ply wood and the Limba being softer on the ML5, but I would like to hear from those who have tried both or all.

I use H3N on FH and either H8-80 or Mantra M on BH and tend to be fairly balanced between FH/BH but with slightly dominant FH stroke.

I currently play with a 301x and like it a lot but am keen to understand what a ML5 or 5x would offer in terms of improvements apart from build quality.

Mine is a 92g blade and I tend to prefer heavier set ups.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022
Haven't tried your blade, but do have the 5X, and took a utility knife to the handle, scraping out wood grain lines, as it was as smooth as a baby's ass (partly because I put two thin coats of polyurethane on the whole thing rather than just the blafe. To make the coats thin, I removed as much as possible with a cotton rag).

My last blade was the Ma Lin Soft Carbon, and I got used to its more grippy wood texture compared to a smooth handle like the 5X. I switched because I like a longer paddle to make up for my short arms, and the Ma Long 5X is 1.5 or 2mm longer than normal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I played 301 a few years ago, I don't quite remember how it felt, just remembered it was ok. I recently played Hurricane Long 5X, and it felt pretty good when paired to H3 and D05, looping with it feels very natural, but you need to have good technique to unlock its full potential, i.e. long strokes and use your full body when performing a stroke. Also, touch play feels very much under control. Only problem I had with it was the handle being a bit thin, but I got used to it after a while.
...I switched because I like a longer paddle to make up for my short arms, and the Ma Long 5X is 1.5 or 2mm longer than normal.

Um... 2mm won't make a difference here, it only increases the size of the sweet spot a little, but it's waaaay too small to help with arm length problems, or any length problem 🤣.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022

Um... 2mm won't make a difference here, it only increases the size of the sweet spot a little, but it's waaaay too small to help with arm length problems, or any length problem 🤣.

Unless making your own paddle, a couple mm is about all the extra length you can get, so I'll take whatever amount for peace of mind and know it does make 2mm of difference that could one day translate into an extra point in one of these mesningless ball slapping contests.

Probably just as well nobody makes ridiculously long blades, since the trade off for extended reach is extra weight.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
dont forget that apparently the handle for the 5X is slightly bigger than that of the 5... can anyone confirm?I also wish the face of the blade had the design that is only on the plastic.... would be so cool
I think DHS uses the same handle dimensions however the blade of the ML5X is slightly thicker so the handle feels slightly bigger just because of that.Fang Bo 2 vs 2x is the same, and I bet the 301 and 301x has a similar case too.

I do love the Fang Bo 2x handle a lot, best handle ever, and I think the 301x should be basically the same. From ML5 I only tried ST handle and I wonder if the FL is also the same as the 301 or Fang Bo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
dont forget that apparently the handle for the 5X is slightly bigger than that of the 5... can anyone confirm?

I also wish the face of the blade had the design that is only on the plastic.... would be so cool

They feel pretty much the same, I can go measure it but since it’s an odd shape, it’ll be somewhat hard to compare, I’ll just measure the length, thickness and the width at the low and high points.

• Love
Reactions: ShakeHold PenHand