Foot stomping

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022

There are annoying habits in all sports. I played a foot stomper tonight, who actually did it when fishing sometimes as well.

Technically there's already a rule on the books that could be used to ban it if the stomp is extra loud and anmoying. All they have to do is decide to enforce it. I think the noise would have to be deemed intentionally trying to distract the opponent though, like making noise when they are hitting the ball.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
You may be onto something there, as many players step on wet towles for traction. I think I will try that when my shoes get old and I no longer worry about ruining them. Seems counter intuitive to increase the grip of rubber with oil, but it really works once it is completely absorbed.

Thanks for the good idea Harold who doesn't know how to spell his own name. You are so helpful and kind!

Pretty sure "boosting" is what the cheating Chinese do to their sponges by the way. "Rejuvinating" is what you do to the top rubber, as it only restores it to near original condition, rather than enhancing it beyond the original.

My H3N sponge is unboosted. When I'm ready for more speed in a few months, I plan to buy Victas TDE.

Calling boosters cheaters was a joke, for all those who so easily gets their panties in a bunch. What's not a joke is calling the Chineese cheaters, because that crap they do with the Hurricane rubber hoarding. I'll never buy another Chineese anything TT related after finding out my sh*t is probably fake!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
And enough already with that lame old song and dance about boosting. There are dozens and dozens of threads about that nonsense, so go find one of them to run your mouth on Herold!

I refuse to allow some troll poker to hyjack my perfectly rational thread with that nonsense (yes, I am a self-identified troll, and my pronoun is "it"), so you're officially banned mispelled Harold!

But before I officially give Harold the boot, the topic isn't closed just yet. I'm the OP b*tches, which I presume stands for "operator," (it's original poster dummy) so off topic sh*t is allowed when I say it's allowed!

So while boosting may be against the rules, it is unenforceable, so therefore shouldn't be; furthermore, the morons who wrote the rules failed to define exactly wtf they were talking about, so every time you wash your paddle with anything at all you're probably breaking the rules.

I should really read the actual rules before ranting about them, but that's too much work. Water is a f*ck*ng chemical didn't you know? Everything is! If it's got mass, then it's got atoms, and if it's got atoms, it's a f*ck*ng chemical! Go look it up if you don't believe me!

Even if the rules say the chemical has to modify some sh*t, that'd make all them cleaning products illegal, and the companies don't sell non-sanctioned sh*t, so that means the big shot TT mafia are breaking their own rules by sanctioning it!

Nuff said. Any further remark on boosting in this thread is strictly forbidden!

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
Just to add some fuel to the fire. If foot stomping by your opponent or on another table is genuinely distracting you, you can tell the umpire. The umpire can act on this and warn the player not to do it then follow disciplinary procedure for un sporting behaviour. Although thus is up to the discretion of the umpire.

I have this from the a top official in England. An international umpire.

I will look for the email and post it here.IMO foot stomping is done to mask sound on serve contact and is unsporting and is not in the spirit of the game. Also when playing on some wooden floors it actually can make the table move.

Last edited:

MOG

This user has no status.

MOG

This user has no status.
Nov 2016
This is the email:

"xxxx is correct when he says that the rules concerning stamping were removed some time ago. In making umpiring decisions it is not always a black-and-white issue and in the case of stamping an umpire should use their judgement as to whether the stamping is adversely affecting the opponent, but the umpire should not directly ask the opponent (sometimes it is the umpire who is adversely affected through annoyance or irritation at the stamping, however this cannot be used as a reason to ask the player to desist) but should wait for the receiver to complain.

A player could perhaps make no attempt to return the service and claim that the stamping is distracting him (the correct call is then a Let) however the umpire must also take into account the possible scenario that the service was difficult to return and the receiver is using the stamping as an excuse (the umpire should take into account how long the server has been stamping and whether the receiver had not bothered to complain previously).

If the receiver makes an unsuccessful attempt to return the service then the umpire cannot decide the rally as a Let (the correct decision is a point to the server). However, if the receiver says that the stamping put him off then the umpire should act upon this, though still award the point to the server because of the attempt to return the service.

I have covered the possible scenarios around stamping and the service, so what .action can an umpire take. The umpire must only act if a complaint is made by the other player that the stamping is distracting him. The umpire should ask the offender to stop stamping because it is distracting the receiver. If the server stamps again then the umpire should immediately call Let and has the option of another verbal warning (my preferred course of action but only one verbal warning) or the issue of a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. The yellow card is reasonable because the offender has been asked to stop and has been given the reason for this, but has chosen to continue stamping.

Rather than give you a general answer I thought it would be helpful to outline various scenarios and the various courses of action."

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
At the club matches, facing illegal serves, loud foot stomping, loud noises right before you hit, poor play conditions, players running into your court or right at you when you do a step around FH, and other assorted disturbances to play happen a LOT... and they are a God-Given GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY to improve one's mental resiliency and toughness for when it really counts - sanctioned tourney competition (or better yet, the chicken and beer bets)

However, to use club play for actual training and improvement, one has to have a different attitude and be ready to sacrifice playing to win for reps in some identified situations. This can be tough as competitors at heart will fight to the death even in a game of checkers. I try to have the right attitude in club play for these goals and reasons, but my good attitude does not last as long as I would like.

David, I am not sure whether I would shake ur hand and toss you a water or Biatch slap you around. To be fair, those who would be big enough to slap me around sometimes have the same thoughts. Fortunately, there are not too many players capable of bouncing me by themselves, but that should not discourage anyone, teamwork can get just about anything dun.

• Love
Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Perhaps I should have started with a poll, because the main topic is whether or not it should be a black and white rule thing, rather than all this nuanced gray area stuff the last few posters so thoroughly covered.

I agree under tournament conditions it is the judge and audience that are the real victims, since the opponent will never say anyrhing. They'll just rant about it on some Internet thread as I have, which amounts to talking to yourself, or they might make small talk to a fellow non-stomper while watching the stompers play.

I suppose the force of the stomp and the type of floor also create a gray area, so in high level tournaments where they have rubber floors, the issue becomes a moot point.

Status
Not open for further replies.