I'm a relatively new penhold player (reverse Chinese grip) looking for a nice setup.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022

I’m leaning into the direction of getting the “Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive” since I’ve heard a lot of great things about it like good for all levels, it’s got all round speed, control.. etc + the price is only €25. I know this next part might sound stupid but what handle type should I get? the website I would buy it from (tabletennis11) gives you 3 handle grip options. ANAC, CONIC (FL) and ST. I’ve got no idea what they stand for or look like. Then about rubber I’ve got some idea what to look for for example how thick, the weight, the density, how hard or soft it is which changes the speed, and that Chinese rubber is more sticky. I’m thinking a faster (so harder) rubber would be better since the Ma Lin blade is supposed to be on the slower side but that’s what just what I heard. Also does how much space you leave on the forehand side for your fingers for penhold players have a difference in weight that could affect anything when playing? Thanks

This user has no status.
At first I was thinking, well thats easy, as a penhold player, you should get the Chinese Penhold handle/blade (often stylised 'Cpen')

But I bought a Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon Cpen to just have a little fun playing penhold a long time ago.

But then I realised that I much prefer both comfort and playing wise to use my Viscaria FL when I wanted to mess around playing PH - the wings are not so wide, even after sanding down the Ma Lin Carbon and I prefer the standard shape of the shakehand blade over that of the more round PH.

Also, I should add that TT11 only gives those 3 grips you have mentioned because the Cpen version is found under 'Penhold blades'

https://www.tabletennis11.com/other_eng/blades-penholder

Cpen version has been out of stock for as long as I have used TT11 which has been around 1 and a half years.

This user has no status.
Oh man! memories! I played cpen rpb with the YEO, dhs tg3n (39 degrees) FH and yinhe jupiter BH years ago (circa 2014 - back in the celluloid days). YEO is a great blade because it is an all wood blade that plays nearly like a carbon blade. Great feel and control, a little stiff but still great at looping. The only problem was that it bottoms out further away from the table (especially coupled with a softer sponge). I only played with the open handle however, Are they not offering cpen version?