Slower Rubber bcs of bad technique?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Hi guys, i would like to ask you for a advice. Im pretty average player, been playing for two years. But have this problem, i have Viscaria and Dignics 09c forehand , tenergy 05 on backhand. Ive been really struggling with my backhand, so many balls go behind the table. Im aware that i dont have very good technique with my wrist. At least i think thats the problem. So ive been thinking, if its just too fast rubber for my level. Problem is i cant try any other slower rubber. I need to buy it. can you plz recommend some butterfly rubber, quite slower then tenergy, more suitable for more forgivving play. Thx for advice, guys. :)

This user has no status.
Hi guys, i would like to ask you for a advice. Im pretty average player, been playing for two years. But have this problem, i have Viscaria and Dignics 09c forehand , tenergy 05 on backhand. Ive been really struggling with my backhand, so many balls go behind the table. Im aware that i dont have very good technique with my wrist. At least i think thats the problem. So ive been thinking, if its just too fast rubber for my level. Problem is i cant try any other slower rubber. I need to buy it. can you plz recommend some butterfly rubber, quite slower then tenergy, more suitable for more forgivving play. Thx for advice, guys. :)

Rozena

NDH

says Spin to win!
Rozena is almost as fast as tenergy. Flip your racket and try 09c on the bh. Boosted aibiss is like 09c at half the price.

This would be my recommendation as well.

If you find 09c too fast as well, then you are really looking at the ALL type of rubbers (not OFF).

It's not ideal that you are using a Viscaria either, but to save some pennies, I'd try 09c on your backhand before doing anything.

If you like it, then you know what to buy 😀

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Send us a video of your backhand! Using a lot of wrist could be making the stroke unsafe. Against topspin it is a good miss if you hit the net, try aim more forward. Maybe the easiest way to aim forward is to close the racket a bit more, then you need to hit more forward if you want to hit the ball.

Try a friends racket and see how that works. Good luck.

says Buttefly Forever!!!
says Buttefly Forever!!!
Mar 2021

Some example of slower & more control BH rubber are: Xiom Vega Europe + Donic Baracuda + Joola Zack and Yasaka Mark V

However, from my personal experience and TT journey, whether fast or slow, if you do not fix your technique first, no matter what rubber you select it will still be BAD for you. Slower rubber is better for you to learn how to do the stroke properly compared to faster rubber, that's all. It does not magically make you able to do those flicks, loops, banana or strawberry.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Jan 2022
What he said...

Referring to it making absolutely no difference. You can easily make your own paddle with store bought plywood of the right thickness, and cover it with free rubber (the kind you get from one of those money wasters who obsessively change their rubber way too often. Every player has at few they don't throw out for how much they spent on them).

You could also get second hand paddles dirt cheap with rubber already on them, considering all players go through what you are right now, with the try this, I suck, try that, I still suck, try, try, try, until eventually they stop sucking, and it turns out that all along, it had nothing to do with the rubber, paddle, or even technique.

It is all about execution baby! Only way to execute is with the type of muscle/nervous system memory that can only be learned through about a thousand hours of repetition, and that doesn't include all that ball retreival time, so to make it happen in a reasonable smount of time that isn't measured in many years, you have to do ten hours of multiball training each week with a coach, partner/ball feeder, or robot. That or be more patient and beat up on novice players every once in awhile to revel in the amount of progress you've already made since you were a beginner.

Once you stop sucking compared to the average club player, you'll find your performance is just as good with each and every rubber you once blamed. Only players that may actually benefit or suffer in any measurable match point way are professionals who all slap the snot out of the ball with little margine for error, and maybe the top club players.

I'm probably just barely past the equipment blaming stage of development as you, but would agree that despite no rubber making any real difference, a slower rubber wouldn't hurt. I recommend DHS H3N unboosted, the cheap orange sponge version. I would never recommend a slow paddle though, because as soon as your skill improves, you'll toss it aside for a fast one, unless you adopt a defensive style with pip out rubber.

That was my third or fourth rubber, and it is every bit as good as this expensive version. I boosted that one, but not my current one.

When it goes long it is because you didn't correct the angle enough for the incoming top spin, or regardless of spin. H3N unboosted is one of the slowest rubbers, but until you have fine and precise angle control, nothing will change.

Ideally half your misses should tank into the net. If 90+ % are going long, aim lower.

Reactions: Dream2K
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Thanx guys for all your advice and help. I can see a lot of experience here. ;) I tried 09c on my backhand and it was better but anyway i ordered rozena. Bcs it looks like its exactly what i need. Still dont wanna go far away from the Tenergy feeling, but have a bit more forgiveness. And second thing is, im gonna pay for a few sessions with some pro trainer to help me with the technique. We will see. :) Thx one more time.

Reactions: pilami
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
One more thing guys. What blade from butterfly would you recommend instead of Viscaria in case i need slow down my racket even more? Thx in advance. ;)

NDH

says Spin to win!
One more thing guys. What blade from butterfly would you recommend instead of Viscaria in case i need slow down my racket even more? Thx in advance. ;)

Probably the Korbel.

I’d avoid the carbon blades if you find the Viscaria too quick.

The real world differences between a “slower” carbon blade like the Harimoto ALC and a faster carbon blade like the Viscaria is unlikely to be noticed unless you are a really good player.

If you need something slower than the Viscaria, go for an all wood blade like the Korbel.

To me it sounds like he has got way too fast equipment, I would recommend a Stiga Allround or Allround evolution.
With this blade he can select a rubber with appropriate speed, then eventually go back to the Viscaria.

Cheers
L-zr

Reactions: Manto76
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
What blade from butterfly would you recommend instead of Viscaria in case i need slow down my racket even more? Thx in advance. ;)

I agree that you probably would do much better if you changed to a much slower blade. You have only played for 2 years, but you play with a Viscaria with Tenergy and Dignics. For reference, Ma Long plays with a much slower and more controlled setup.
For my first year I played with allround blade, then I played with off- blade (Korbel) for two years and now I have been playing with my current wooden off blade for more than one year. I think I have done wise choices which have helped me improve. However, a teammate of mine has been playing with an allround blade during all these years and he is the one who has improved the most in our club during this period.

I think Korbel is a great blade for a developing player. (I own three Korbels.) It’ a balanced blade. Moderately fast, yet very controllable. Good for blocking and drives, but at the same time it has great spin possibilities. I played it with the same rubbers that you play. Many seem to recommend the Japanese version, but I personally like the European version more. The European version is lighter, often around 85 grams instead of 90-95 grams. (My Japanese version weighs 101 grams!) And the euro version vibrates more than the Japanese, which means it gives more feedback.

Reactions: MK73 and Antonlan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2022
Hi guys. So after my first proper training with my regular couch i went for Rozena, Korbel blade and T05 FX and first training was just horrible :D :D :D Compare to the spinny Dignics09c i have feeling that the 05FX have no spin at all :D :D Im sure it will get better by time , just first impression. :D

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

I'm sure you will find your rhythm with the new setup soon - just persevere!

That said, I suspect some folks make the error of equating 'softer' with 'beginner' when it comes to rubbers. It is true that some softer rubbers are very good beginner rubbers, but it's also true that some medium (eg. Xiom Vega Intro, Nittaku Factive) or even hard (eg. H3 Neo Commercial) rubbers are good for beginners. The fact that a rubber is soft does not mean it's necessarily a beginner rubber and, in my opinion, T05FX is not a beginner rubber at all. In fact, I would say it's a high-performance rubber suited for players with pretty good technique.

Don't give up on your new setup too soon ... but, if you're still struggling after a while you might want to ask your coach his/her opinion on you keeping your Korbel and putting a pair of Mark Vs on it. Or, if you want to stick with Butterfly, a set of good old Srivers or Tackiness Drives.

Last edited:
Reactions: MK73