Most Lopsided Head-to-Head

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Not the most one sided H2H, likely, but it’s quite interesting:
Wang Hao (21) — Ryu Seung Min (2) *according to table tennis reference
https://tabletennis-reference.com/player/players_matches/4/8

I presume one of RSM’s two wins must have been the 2004 Olympic Final! Poor Wang Hao, with 3 singles silver medals and no gold and that H2H vs RSM!

says Aging is a killer
I presume one of RSM’s two wins must have been the 2004 Olympic Final! Poor Wang Hao, with 3 singles silver medals and no gold and that H2H vs RSM!

I remember that Olympics, I watched several matches live on TV. Waldner was playing out of his skin, showing all the skills/tactics that his experience could deliver. But RSM and Wang Hao (vs Wang Li Qin) were simply on a higher plain to everyone else. I never saw RSM play like that before or after those Olympics.

This user has no status.
Not the most one sided H2H, likely, but it’s quite interesting:
Wang Hao (21) — Ryu Seung Min (2) *according to table tennis reference
https://tabletennis-reference.com/player/players_matches/4/8

Yes I think sometimes of the 21-2 H2H they shared..... it must be so difficult to stomach - you absolutely dominate an opponent on the international scene and only lose to them twice over your career..... just so happens that one of those instances happened to be the Men's Singles Gold Medal Final for the 2004 Athens Olympic Games

Nevertheless, still one of the most decorated and accomplished players that ever picked up the racket! And my favourite penholder of all time

This user has no status.
Ma Long (15) - Mizutani Jun (0)
Xu Xin (8) - Harimoto Tomokazu (0)

Certainly an achievement XX holds over ML and FZD!

I also heard of the sizeable H2H gap between ML and JM but I had thought in the years since, JM would have taken at least once match

He always seemed to not have that oompf to challenge top Chinese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

I wonder why Ishikawa is so bad vs the Chinese team?

because she's the maid !
I think her game is without any surprise. Ishikawa takes the ball early and able to play at a high pitch, but most of the time she tries to play conservatively with consistency first. A bit like the Chinese. But they are better than her at this game. If you want to beat them at least once in a while, you need to offer something different.
Then after, as an athlete, i think when you lose too many times against the same opponent, if affects you mentally, and often you don't get the right attitude at the table. Sometimes right from the start, sometimes after losing G1, sometimes at deuce, it depends but it becomes always a huge burden.
We feel it as amateurs, pro do the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

I wonder why Ishikawa is so bad vs the Chinese team?

Everyone is bad against the Chinese women. The last non chinese female singles gold at world championships was 1993 and in the last 15 years there were only one non chinese medal (mia hirano in 2017) otherwise the Chinese women swept all 4 medals every time since 2007.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Everyone is bad against the Chinese women. The last non chinese female singles gold at world championships was 1993 and in the last 15 years there were only one non chinese medal (mia hirano in 2017) otherwise the Chinese women swept all 4 medals every time since 2007.

No but I feel like Mima Ito picks up wins here and there, and her style gives some challenge to the Chinese team. Ishikawa has a lot of 0-4, 1-4 type losses.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Yeah mima has done better albeit it seems the last 1 or two years they figured her out.

Btw when was the last time a Chinese woman has lost a match in singles competition to a non chinese at worlds or olympics?

I saw hirano won a medal in 2017 but did not beat a chinese on the way while chen meng and Mu Zi did not medal but lost to another Chinese

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Yeah mima has done better albeit it seems the last 1 or two years they figured her out.

Btw when was the last time a Chinese woman has lost a match in singles competition to a non chinese at worlds or olympics?

I saw hirano won a medal in 2017 but did not beat a chinese on the way while chen meng and Mu Zi did not medal but lost to another Chinese

let's still give credit to Miu Hirano, she got her 4th seed thanks to amazing performance heading to WTTC including the gold medal at the Asian Championships beating 3 top chinese players (Ding, Zhu, Chen) in best-of-5 games on the way in front of the Chinese crowd, so it was well deserved.

it's the most amazing performance from a non-Chinese player in recent times.

Last edited: