North American Olympic Trials 4/20-22/12

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Stay tuned for the livestream link hosted by NBC Universal to watch the North American Olympic Trials. The tournament is being set up as we speak and hundreds of people will be coming out to the venue from all across North America. I'm really excited because I'll be heading down to help set up and Direct the Trials Live Stream.

It will be super exciting to see who if any can upset the Canadian team who came down last month to check out the venue at the 2012 Cary Cup.

JOOLA USA is sponsoring the U.S. team so we're super excited to see them play and give it their all.

Hope you're all ready to see another qualifications tournament.

EDIT*** Link is UP 4/20-4/22 Starting 10 AM & 4 PM EST each day.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Table-Tennis/Features/2012/April/01/North-American-Olympic-Trials.aspx

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
He lost the first draw and he now has 2 more chances. He's playing Pierre-Luc Hinse and that's probably the toughest match he'll have as he lost first draw to Pierre-Luc. He beat Barney Reed Jr 4-0 on some really lucky points. He was down in deuce 3 of the 4 and got back in it with net edge points. The guy is so lucky and seriously is probably the most likely to make it for the U.S., but I doubt he'll make it to the Finals for the second draw.

Adam Hugh and Timothy Wang are the other semi finalists for the second draw and Tim is on fire now. After having beat Chen Hongtao the second seed and the most skilled player there, he's really got his game face on.

Matches start at 10 AM EST and the final is around 1 PM and the third draw starts at 4:00 PM EST. Come check out these epic matches guys and gals it's truly awesome to see this.

Andre Ho was the first victor and has made it to the Olympics. He seriously could not have been beaten today because he was just playing truly amazing. If you got a chance to watch him on the live feed today you know that he can Out Cho Lin Gaoyuan easy.

Ariel Hsing was the victor for the women's event. Winning in the 6th game against Chris Xu a very skilled chopper. Her parents and everyone were very emotional as she's been the poster girl for Olympic Table Tennis in the U.S. for quite some time. She also gave some shining hope to two of the team members as 3 of the 4 will be able to compete in the teams event if another U.S. player can win one more draw.

Tune in again tomorrow for some more great action all. Thanks for checking it out and spread the word.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If Micheal Landers won against Pierre-Luc Theriault and took Pierre-Luc Hinse to 7 games then he has to be playing pretty well. That is good stuff. But yeah, Hinse beat Michael L once and Michael will have to face him again.

Looks like Hinse had much less trouble 2nd time around 4-1. Now it is Timothy Wang against Pierre-Luc Hinse.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Pierre-Luc Hinse infamous of the "Impossible Shot," has made it into the Olympics. Now it's up to Tim Wang and Barney Reed Jr. for the U.S. Singles Spot. Hopefully my boy Tim will be able to get the spot because he's worked hard to get where he's at. Also he wants it badly enough maybe even more so than Barney. Barney's been playing for 15 years trying to get to this stage in his career, so to whomever wins they deserve it for all of their hard work.

Sadly this means the U.S. will not be able to compete in the teams event, but hopefully whomever represents in the singles can shake up some players to let them know we're growing.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Pierre-Luc Hinse infamous of the "Impossible Shot," has made it into the Olympics. Now it's up to Tim Wang and Barney Reed Jr. for the U.S. Singles Spot. Hopefully my boy Tim will be able to get the spot because he's worked hard to get where he's at. Also he wants it badly enough maybe even more so than Barney. Barney's been playing for 15 years trying to get to this stage in his career, so to whomever wins they deserve it for all of their hard work.

Sadly this means the U.S. will not be able to compete in the teams event, but hopefully whomever represents in the singles can shake up some players to let them know we're growing.

Congratulations to Timothy Wang for qualifying for the Olympics for the USA men's team.

Also Congratulations to Ariel Hsing, Lily Zhang and Erica Wu for qualifying for the USA women's team.

And congratulations to Pierre-Luc Hinse, and Andre Ho for qualifying for the Canadian men's team.

Here are the results from the site:

Team Canada
Chris Xu (CAN)
Anqi Luo (CAN)
Sara Yuen (CAN)
Shirley Fu (CAN)

Hongtao Chen (CAN)
Pierre-Luc Hinse (CAN) - Qualified for London 2012
Andre Ho (CAN) - Qualified for London 2012

Pierre-Luc Theriault (CAN)

Team USA
Ariel Hsing (USA) - Qualified for London 2012 (Singles & Team)
Lily Zhang (USA) - Qualified for London 2012 (Singles & Team)
Erica Wu (USA) - Qualified for London 2012 (Team)

Judy Hugh (USA)

Michael Landers (USA)
Barney Reed, Jr. (USA)
Timothy Wang (USA) - Qualified for London 2012
Adam Hugh (USA)

I wish there was video for these Qualification matches.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
There is video for the Qualification matches. There was a live stream on the page link. But we are also setting up the recordings with ITTF to post on their archives and also The U.S. Woman's team is not 100% certain. There is a tiny chance that if Canada wins another female candidate that they will be taking the team for North America. The chances are slim, but anything's possible. We won't know if the Woman's team will hold for sure until the results of the last Olympic Qualifier. But Ariel and Lily for sure are going as well as Tim, Pierre-Luc, and Andre.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
The U.S. Woman's team is not 100% certain. There is a tiny chance that if Canada wins another female candidate that they will be taking the team for North America. The chances are slim, but anything's possible. We won't know if the Woman's team will hold for sure until the results of the last Olympic Qualifier. But Ariel and Lily for sure are going as well as Tim, Pierre-Luc, and Andre.

Canada would have to qualify TWO women at the world tournament in May, and that is EXTREMELY unlikely. If one more Canadian qualifies, they would still be behind the US because they finished lower in this year's world team championships (which is the tiebreaker this time when countries have the same number of athletes qualified for singles).

So Erica Wu can safely prepare for London.

The same is true for the Canadian men: even if Michael Landers, for example, were to be successful at the world qualifier, Canada would still get the team spot because they finished higher at the world championships.

The third player for Canada will be Wang Zhen provided he gets his citizenship papers by the nomination deadline. But he will only play in the team event in any case.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Michael Landers was the only one for the first Draw, but he lost all the draws.

TTTT- Canada only needed to qualify 1 because Mo Zhang has already qualified. And for a team standing to go for North America it is based on World ranking and Mo Zhang's qualifies her team over the U.S. because Erica's ranking is so much lower than the rest.

It's not likely that Canada can qualify the one player they need for Qatar, but it's still a small chance and that's enough to be wary of anything in Erica's point of view.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2012
this new system is so mess up... just have their own country sent thier best player..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
It is messed up, but there are far too many countries to do that. It would create an uneven bracket and then not to mention that there are some countries that have different systems of choosing who their best is, but that may not always be the case for the actual best player at an event like the Olympics.

It's very easy to look at new rule changes and even tournament formats and to think that is so stupid why would they do that, it is such a waste of talent, but few have seen what goes on behind the scenes.

As a person who's really been behind the scenes you have to open your mind to the possibility that yes they have thought of the same things you are suggesting, but fail to produce the resources to make it that way. Or they are experimenting for a long term regulation that will solve a lot of problems on both sides and hopefully create better tournaments for the future. That's the side of things that a lot people only speculate about and few really know about.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
World ranking was the criterion in 2008. This year it's the finishing position at the 2012 World championships, therefore USA is ahead of Canada even if a second Canadian player qualifies for singles. (Check the ITTF regulations if you don't believe me.)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Send me a link to where I can read this because I can't find it. Plus Raul Calin was the one who speculated about this from what I remember at one of our dinners and as he is an ITTF employee I'm thinking he knew what he was talking about. However I could be wrong and have misinterpreted what he said. What I know is that team members are based on World Ranking. So even though Chen Hongtao was the representative in this NA Qualifier Wang Zhen will still go for teams assuming his citizenship goes in. The U.S. however was competing for the top 3 spots and gives those to its team. So I'm not certain exactly how it works this year and I can't find anything specifically on how a team qualifies.