North American Olympic Trials 4/20-22/12

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
There is video for the Qualification matches. There was a live stream on the page link. But we are also setting up the recordings with ITTF to post on their archives and also The U.S. Woman's team is not 100% certain. There is a tiny chance that if Canada wins another female candidate that they will be taking the team for North America. The chances are slim, but anything's possible. We won't know if the Woman's team will hold for sure until the results of the last Olympic Qualifier. But Ariel and Lily for sure are going as well as Tim, Pierre-Luc, and Andre.

When the videos are put together, Mr RicharD, it would be a great thing to post. I am looking forward to watching.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Two different things here:

1) who gets the continental (North American) team spot, USA or Canada: this is defined in the ITTF rules posted here:
http://www.ittf.com/World_Events/2012OG/Qual_system_OG2012_EN.pdf

If two countries get the same number of qualifiers for singles, the team spot goes to the country that finished highest in the 2012 world team championship. That's Canada for the men, and USA for the women.

2) who will be the third player on the team that qualifies; this is up to each association and not defined by ITTF. Apparently Canada indeed goes by the world ranking in order to give Wang Zhen a chance to be on the team after all (if he gets his passport within the next couple of months). USATT decided to give the third spot to whoever finished highest at the NA Trials - therefore Erica Wu beat out Judy Hugh, regardless of their world ranking.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
why didnt gao jun play in the womens competition? she played in the us qualification for the event...i want to see her play top table tennis again, i miss her and her style!!!

Gao Jun was supposed to play but withdrew a few days before the Trials - knee injury, apparently. It's unlikely that we'll see much more of her, she was already retired anyway and is busy running her club in LA.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Gao Jun was supposed to play but withdrew a few days before the Trials - knee injury, apparently. It's unlikely that we'll see much more of her, she was already retired anyway and is busy running her club in LA.

Argh, gutted, she is such a good player, would have loved to see her in her prime! maybe one day if i go on hols to LA ill visit her club and say hi :) is she a good coach do we know?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Gao Jun is a great coach. Erica Wu is one of her top students. Gao for the most part was at the trials to support Erica. By winning against the top players it made it easier for Erica to stay in the running. Although Erica upset Ariel which put even more pressure on Ariel and Lily as she was at one point ahead in wins vs losses. Gao is the type of coach that will really work hard to see you succeed, I think.