Why is trampoline effect better than catapult effect?

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Both terms get used to describe how the ball rebounds off the rubber but trampoline effect is a MUCH better description of what is really happening.Lets see who comes up with the answer first.
Let me try:

Catapult means a force pushing the object forward or away from the reference point. Thinking more like shooting away.

Trampoline is the rebound effect of an object away from a bouncy surface. Thinking more like ricocheting off a surface.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
If this is so obvious then why do people still use the term catapult when it doesn't really describe what is happening.
The energy for the catapult is not supplied by the projectile. The energy for the trampoline is supplied by the what ever is bouncing on the trampoline.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
If this is so obvious then why do people still use the term catapult when it doesn't really describe what is happening.
The energy for the catapult is not supplied by the projectile. The energy for the trampoline is supplied by the what ever is bouncing on the trampoline.

Catapult sounds cooler and I think this was the term introduced by the companies after the speed glue era ended. Even Timo Boll is using catapult instead of any other term. There even was a rubber in Butterfly lineup that was called Catapult, which was ironically a rubber that you don't need to speedglue. When I was a wee kid that was the rubber I used.

Reactions: fais
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Yeah, marketing ploy, catapult sounds better!! Brings a different mental image!!
Right? I think so too. In my country chainsaws are called Stihl (even though there are several different brands). This is utterly dumb, like calling grippy and tacky rubbers as Yasaka...
But this is how it was set up.
Apple has a similar advantage as to many people consider Apple phone as a "smartphone" and all of the other android phones as lesser smartphone.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Catapult sounds cooler and I think this was the term introduced by the companies after the speed glue era ended. Even Timo Boll is using catapult instead of any other term. There even was a rubber in Butterfly lineup that was called Catapult, which was ironically a rubber that you don't need to speedglue. When I was a wee kid that was the rubber I used.

Yeah I guess catapult sounds more dynamic and more like a weapon or gun implying the ball shoots out like a cannon which might be better for marketing than a child toy like a trampoline :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017

Catapult sounds cooler and I think this was the term introduced by the companies after the speed glue era ended. Even Timo Boll is using catapult instead of any other term.

That doesn't mean he is right.
Spring board divers also could use the spring board effect.
I like to use spring boards because they can be "tuned" to the diver.

OT, the forum is beginning to look a little better now.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
catapult just sounds cooler than trampoline effect :p
so yeah, trampoline comes way closer to actual table tennis

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
The way I see it is that Tenergy-like rubbers are described as a catapult rubber. And Hurricane on the other hand are trampoline like rubber. For me a good example showing the difference is this match between Timo Boll vs Ma Long. Sure Timo Boll has beaten ML once in the past, but only by a very small margin.

This match shows the trampoline effect is better than the catapult effect. Timo Boll using Catapult like Tenergy and Ma Long using Hurricane which is more Trampoline like rubber.

In my opinion Trampoline rubbers such as the Hurricane most of the time give an advantage over the catapult like rubbers. The trampoline effect gives the player larger control of the ball bounce, thus being able to initiate the attack and keep the opponent at bay, essentially keeping the opponent pinned down, which was the case in this match where Timo Boll was being forced away from the table and Ma Long essentially dictating the rally during the point by relying on the raw power rather than artificial catapult effect.

Kids in China seem to get used to playing with trampoline like rubbers right from the very early age where it forces them to hit the ball from the side rather than tangentially which is the case with catapult rubbers.

Using the catapult rubbers would require a totally different technique where the ball is brushed from different angles and the catapult may feel like they're advantageous at first, but in the long run the trampoline effect with its larger control feeling of the ball seem to bring better results overall.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dajdosta
Mar 2021
roman%20ballista%20jfif.jpeg

This is catapult.
kiddie%20trampoline%20jfif.jpeg

This trampoline.

Which one is more similar to a TT ball rebounding off a sponged rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
roman%20ballista%20jfif.jpeg

This is catapult.

Actually that looks like a crossbow.

Not like it matters a lot if someone calls it catapult or trampoline, but as long as manufacturers print catapult on the covers people will be exposed to this terminology.

I sure hope China touch rubber won't become a common term.

Reactions: SamTheMan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2022
So I have read a lot of posts to understand the Catapult effect v the Trampoline effect v the Slingshot effect think All three above mean the same thing. They refer to how much the blade flexes back when the ball strikes it and then returns back to its normal position.
Such returning gives the ball added spin and power. You can read here about trampolines. These effects have nothing to do with the rubber. Flexible blades have higher catapult effect and hard blades have lower catapult effect. For topspin loops catapault effect helps but for the short game it makes it difficult as the ball gets added height because of this effect and does not stay as low as one would want. For pure flat thick smashes this effect is not good as it reduces the speed of the shot.