Barefoot shoes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I've been wearing barefoot shoes for a while and my feet's gotten used to the wide toe box. When I wear my Asics table tennis shoes, my toes get cramped and i get blisters (even though they're half a size too big for me). For running there are a few brands offering wide toe box shoes but I can't find any brand making indoor sport shoes with wide toe boxes as barefoot shoes offer. Are there any indoor sport shoes with wide toe boxes?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I think barefoot shoes can be great for running and if you want to just play a bit of ping pong in a relaxed way it is ok, but if you want to play competitively and use strong side steps and lateral jumps it might not be great as those shoes don't offer much lateral stability as they are made for straight line running.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
I think barefoot shoes can be great for running and if you want to just play a bit of ping pong in a relaxed way it is ok, but if you want to play competitively and use strong side steps and lateral jumps it might not be great as those shoes don't offer much lateral stability as they are made for straight line running.

That makes sense. But I would still like an indoor sport shoe with more space for my toes. My Asics are too pointy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
I use barefoot shoes for everyday walking as well. When I first started out with table tennis I used them for that as well. However once I started getting better footwork, they just wore out too quick because of the thin sole. 2-4 months before there was a hole all they way through the shoes at the big toe area.

Now I use mizuno kaiserburg table tennis shoes. They are wider than normal indoor and table tennis shoes, but unfortunately they are not really sold in europe - but you can buy them over ebay.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
i do have my Mizuno shoes but also use other shoes for TT I had feet problems for many years and found
the only way i can cope is to buy my shoes2.5 cm too big and wear 2 thick, mostly knitted work socks in them.
This just leaves me with a pain in the heel but i live with that.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hmm, I've always thought the reason you get blisters is because the shoe is too big, and your feet move around in the shoe too much.

hence the 2 pairs of thick socks.
If you look at your shoes, you see that it is easy to tighten up the center- and upper part with the string but this leaves
the big place in the front free for the toes to wriggle around .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

hence the 2 pairs of thick socks.
If you look at your shoes, you see that it is easy to tighten up the center- and upper part with the string but this leaves
the big place in the front free for the toes to wriggle around .

Oh, I totally understood your comment, I was talking about where the OP said "Asics table tennis shoes, my toes get cramped and i get blisters (even though they're half a size too big for me)." Doesn't make sense to me that blisters was a cause of the shoes being small, it might hurt but not blisters.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Oh, I totally understood your comment, I was talking about where the OP said "Asics table tennis shoes, my toes get cramped and i get blisters (even though they're half a size too big for me)." Doesn't make sense to me that blisters was a cause of the shoes being small, it might hurt but not blisters.

half a size bigger might not do the trick...........
My feet are 24 cm long and my shoes are 26,5 cm long inside measure.
When the toes can not move freely they will of course rub against one another and that can cause the blisters.
Sometimes it helps to thoroughly powder the front of ones feet and add a good portion of powder into the socks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2020
My Asics gel blade 6 are too long for me, sometimes I stumble a bit because of them being too long. They're just too narrow up front so my toes get cramped. I may not get blisters but the toes get rubbed, sore and it's not comfortable. I asked if anyone knows about any shoes with wider toe boxes.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
I have plenty of sport shoes and Mizuno seems to have the most space for the toes. Unfortunately wave medal 5 doesn't offer enough cushion on the heel , so now I am using Wave Stealth V and Wave Stealth Neo and can't be happier. Li Ning has great shoes but they are a bit snuggy as well

Reactions: Morty
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020
Blisters in socked feet are generally caused by sweat softening the skin so much that friction causes it to come apart. Use olefin socks like Drymax that pull moisture away from the skin to reduce the chances of blisters. If you are playing on sports flooring, barefoot shoes are the best type of shoes. You actually get the best "lateral stability" when you have as little sole as possible between your feet and the surface you are on.I don't think it matters if a pair of barefoot shoes is specific to running or indoor sports is used for table tennis. If they work, they work.

Reactions: z0uLess
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
I’ve been looking into shoes recently, tabletennis11 told me that Mizuno Wave Drive Neo 2 is the widest fitting shoe they carry currently.

..................and comparing this newer model to my old model, the WaveDrive , the design and shape of the sole looks pretty much the same.
Sport-shoe manufacturers simply do not seem to consider the actual shape of the foot but seem to want to ""Pack"" the foot into their shoes at all and any cost.
WHY ??????????????? or WTF !! 🤣

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

..................and comparing this newer model to my old model, the WaveDrive , the design and shape of the sole looks pretty much the same.
Sport-shoe manufacturers simply do not seem to consider the actual shape of the foot but seem to want to ""Pack"" the foot into their shoes at all and any cost.
WHY ??????????????? or WTF !! 🤣

That's the blue pill. Once you learn about the natural shape of human feet and see what kind of shapes modern shoes have forced human feet to conform to, that would be the red pill barefoot shoe moment. Fashion, tradition, conformity, Why do you think the feet binding practice of China existed and how it simply evolved into the high heel shoes women wear today works?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I have Mizuno Wave Twister 4.
Most comfortable and durable shoes ever for my feet.
After years of usage and hundreds of hours of play time I still play in them and would buy the same model immediately if it still exists, but I:m afraid they're discontinued.
Hopefully those Wave Drive are as good.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

That's the blue pill. Once you learn about the natural shape of human feet and see what kind of shapes modern shoes have forced human feet to conform to, that would be the red pill barefoot shoe moment. Fashion, tradition, conformity, Why do you think the feet binding practice of China existed and how it simply evolved into the high heel shoes women wear today works?

I don't think wearing barefoot shoes is the be all end all solution. Did some searching for research papers, and all the papers I found say the same thing: nothing concrete has been discovered yet. But a few papers did mention that to utilize a pair of barefoot shoes, one must change their walking/running form to always land on their ball of the feet, as there is close to no cushioning on barefoot shoes. This becomes almost impossible for sports where one need to do stand wide and shifting weight continuously from one leg to the other, since human feet aren't built that way, i.e. each step needs to be small enough if one want to land on the ball of their feet. Just stand up and test out yourself to see how much wider each step you can take when landing on your heels compared to landing on the balls of your feet.

Anyways, table tennis shoes are one of the most lightweight sports shoes out there, so I'm going to stick with them for now as I don't think I'm able to keep a proper form while trying to always land on the balls of my feet while moving around while playing. Maybe I'll consider a pair of barefoot shoes for walking just to see how it feels.

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

, Why do you think the feet binding practice of China existed and how it simply evolved into the high heel shoes women wear today works?

maybe not quite for the reason you might think: From google """"Foot-binding persisted because it ensured that young girls sat still and worked at a boring, sedentary task for many hours each day, , and it died out only when manufactured cloth and foreign imports eliminated the economic value of handwork"""""