Academic style TT education

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
(REVAMPED EP.01) - updated 30.04.2022.
Ep.02 coming soon.

Hello all TT friends,
On our channel we have chosen different approach to TT than anyone else.

We analysed the game to it's core principles and concepts. It will put all your drills together.
This form is first of its kind on the YT. We created our theories and helpers for students to easy grasp main ideas.
All of this exactly corresponds to CHINA players game.
By means of animated graphics we rapidy improve your game.

Let me present you educational material that is MORTAR of table tennis. This will help all of you. Lot of secrets in there.

If you like this, support our channel for future updates and remember:
LETS GET BETTER TOGETHER.

Please, if you know about similar channel let me know. I love to learn about and teach TT.
I would like to hear your opinion also.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why is the video using a robot voice instead of a human voice.

Can you explain what the point of either of these vides is? None of what I watched seemed like it was useful or practical for someone who actually plays TT. How come there are no actual examples of living human beings showing any of the ideas presented in the videos?

To me these videos are very weird and I don't see them as useful to someone wanting to learn Table Tennis. So, I would be interested to hear if anyone else feels they are useful.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Why is the video using a robot voice instead of a human voice.

Can you explain what the point of either of these vides is? None of what I watched seemed like it was useful or practical for someone who actually plays TT. How come there are no actual examples of living human beings showing any of the ideas presented in the videos?

To me these videos are very weird and I don't see them as useful to someone wanting to learn Table Tennis. So, I would be interested to hear if anyone else feels they are useful.

Thank you for your opinion,
However I think you are COMPLETELY missing the point. No offense.

In table tennis there are also things that you can not show behind table. No one is talking about them in public, because very few players are aware of it.

As I wrote, our approach is different.
Everybody is focusing on Technique, Footwork and Tactics. Those are BRICKS, all internet is full of them. You need them, of course, but there is missing link in your training routine. This will open eyes for so many players. We want players to think! Be one of them.

For those who can understand what academic form means, it is obvious that there will be lot of theory, graphical explanations and geometry.

To answer your question. I am not native speaker. I can not narate whole video with my voice.
Please be patient, I will show how it all works together after some more episodes.

Tomas

NDH

says Spin to win!
Please, if you know about similar channel let me know. I love to learn about and teach TT.
I would like to hear your opinion also.

Stay healthy,
Tomas.

Hey Tomas,

Firstly, I just wanted to say that it is clear a lot of time and effort has gone into this - So well done on that side of things!

However (and this is just my personal opinion of course), I don't think this is going to be helpful to many people unfortunately.

I can see what you are trying to do, and I understand the idea behind it, but you have massively overcomplicated it, and I don't see many people being able to learn and improve from those 2 videos.

Table tennis is never going to be a sport that can be learnt via diagrams.

It's hard enough learning by simply watching professionals/coaching videos, but as a last resort, they at least give you some real life examples.

I'm sure in a world of 7.9 billion people, there will be a few very academic table tennis players who will enjoy your videos, and if that is OK with you, then I'd encourage you to continue.

If you are looking for this sort of teaching to go "mainstream", I think you'll be very disappointed.

If anything, I can see this sort of thing being of interest to coaches, who can perhaps pass on some of the theory to the players they are coaching.

But I don't see any players looking to improve, actually getting anything from these videos I'm afraid.

Who do you think will benefit from them?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022

Hey Tomas,

Firstly, I just wanted to say that it is clear a lot of time and effort has gone into this - So well done on that side of things!

However (and this is just my personal opinion of course), I don't think this is going to be helpful to many people unfortunately.

I can see what you are trying to do, and I understand the idea behind it, but you have massively overcomplicated it, and I don't see many people being able to learn and improve from those 2 videos.

Table tennis is never going to be a sport that can be learnt via diagrams.

It's hard enough learning by simply watching professionals/coaching videos, but as a last resort, they at least give you some real life examples.

I'm sure in a world of 7.9 billion people, there will be a few very academic table tennis players who will enjoy your videos, and if that is OK with you, then I'd encourage you to continue.

If you are looking for this sort of teaching to go "mainstream", I think you'll be very disappointed.

If anything, I can see this sort of thing being of interest to coaches, who can perhaps pass on some of the theory to the players they are coaching.

But I don't see any players looking to improve, actually getting anything from these videos I'm afraid.

Who do you think will benefit from them?

Honestly,
everyone can benefit.

We all are looking for a way how to catch Chinesse players in development. Lot of people are crying that we do not have training capabilities, enough talents, etc. I am trying to offer long-time solution. Maybe it will not work, but give it a shot.
New ideas are needed IMHO. What we are missing is Know-how. General understanding of the game. Table tennis player development patterns. Table tennis is algorhithmizable (if that word exists). I can see it. Trust me in this one.

CHINA proves it. But no one can see it? And I will prove it in my series.
I am control system engineer, so i have talent to go really deep into topics and extract important information. Make chunks of it and put it back together - if that sentense make sense. Yes it is hard, but if it was easy than we would be already there.

I do not want to sound to harsh, but I present lot of my hard work to public. Maybe it is like giving calculus book to 1st grader but peope will grow to it. I am convinced that this is the key.

Otherwise I would not put so much effort into it.

Last episode will be match analysis. You will see how everything fit in place (maybe even earlier).

Thank you for your kind words.

Tomas

NDH

says Spin to win!
I do not want to sound to harsh, but I present lot of my hard work to public. Maybe it is like giving calculus book to 1st grader but peope will grow to it. I am convinced that this is the key.

It's not harsh at all - I actually think you are almost spot on with this comment, and it's one of the reasons I think you'll end up being disappointed.

The Chinese aren't gaining an edge by doing this sort of thing.

They have 100's of world class coaches and facilities, and it's the main sport in China.

They spend hours and hours practicing, and it's this (amongst the rest of it), that helps them get to the top.

I'd love to see feedback from others, but I'd guess that the vast majority of people online, will find your videos too complicated, and not enjoyable for their needs.

I'm not saying your videos are wrong, but in the same way that a Brain Surgeon can do a video on how to operate on a Brain..... It won't help me become a brain surgeon myself.

I'm only saying this because I can see just how much effort you've put in, and you clearly believe in what you are doing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Care to explain in the video where we are advised to take a step/bounce back just before the opponent strikes the ball? Seems too ambiguous to me. Each and every time, regardless of context? I don't see the pros doing this.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Not bashing on the video or anything, but this reminded me of a kids book I read when I was a kid (duh~). It was a story about two friends, one likes to be super precise on everything in life, the other one does everything by feeling. In one part of the story they were playing table tennis, the friend that does everything precisely loses the match because she spent all of her time calculating the trajectory of the ball, but misses her shot a lot since she can't calculate fast enough. While the other friend only roughly estimates the ball's position when he plays, and keeps on winning. Anyways, there was a whole bunch of other scenes in the story, but the moral is: there are times you need to be precise, other times not so much.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Brokenball will like this 😁
Seriously, the stuff You are stating in these videos is learnt intuitively, It doesn't help to think too much, just practice...

Cheer
L-zr
Not really. I think of trajectory tracking as being what the Omron robot can do to make contact with the ball. It would also include spin because spin will alter the trajectory based on the Magnus effect. Then there is trajectory optimization. This would include lots of factors that must be optimized. Basically it would include placing the ball at a difficult place for the opponent to return, time to landing on the table, height over the net and the probability of success.

SURF needs to think about the details but more importantly, people are not robots. They are not calibrated machines. Much is learned by experience just like one would need to train a Neural Net. Yes, I know about those too. Neural nets don't just magically work. They need training.

One thing my first coach and I use to like to do is to loop FH to FH. The goal was to put so much spin on the ball so that the ball would dive down after the bounce so it would go below the other's paddle. Obviously we had to account for spin that caused the ball to jump out low and fast after the bounce. Surf ignored spin.

BTW, I can think of lots of good examples of trajectory tracking and planning. After all, I am an expert in motion control.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Hello guys,
I apprecieate your opinions. But please, I do not want to defend my statements in every response :(

These videos should help us as HUMANS to find a unified template in our training (and later in the game), that helps with feeling of ball trajectories. I am not trying to preciselly describe the way how the machine should track the ball. This is not a point. Thats why I intentionaly specified neglecting of the spin and othe factors. I was aware of those reactions. I do not want to be more technical than is necessary.

Videos are showing key points players should be focusing on. I know it feels too fast to process from the start, but it can be done. I will show you, just wait.
Point is to learn your body to conciously do 3 (2 phase) patterns that are repeating during every ball played. BUT MOST OF US ARE NOT DOING IT!!!

In fact to make the game for you to be easier in matches, you need to make it little harder during training. Nothing new - right?

There was also reason why I mentioned three phases of leaning new cognitive skill.
- firstly it feels unnatural, unintuitive and so on. (I gues that it is the point we are now in this discussion)
- after some time you will know how to do it, why and when.
- once your body starts doing it properly and automatically with almost no thinking, based on feeling of trajectory, than you mastered it.

Only then, you will have time to process other informations in the game.

GOOD NEWS.
In due time, I was working on getting privileges to publish some private footage of chinesse pro players for analysis purposes on my channel. I just got it,
So I will start to make example as soon as possible. I am doing those videos in my free time. So be patient.

After all, I told you, be ready to see table tennis from different perspective in my intro video to series. So please do not hate the the approach.

I needed to create theoretical background first, even if it is not clear yet. Then I analyse a real game. You at least now have materials to refer to and to learn from. So you now can see how the theory evolved. I hope it make sense now.

Tomas

Last edited:
Reactions: NDH
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Just to add some point,
people think chinesse players are faster due to better training conditions. In some sense yes, but not physically.

Pace and speed are different things.

They are not faster, they are doing more preplaned actions in the same amount of time during ball. They know about it, They train for it. Conciously.
We are doing less actions, because we do not know what to do and when. We can not describe it properly. Our advices to players are vague. And in most cases only on techniques.

Chinesse are human robots, because they have good program from childhood. I tried to extract this program and put in on the "paper" for all to see it.

Tomas

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I like the project but we have to see practical use over time. I do think china players might have a technical advantage and better coaching but they also have a huge talent pool of players and almost unlimited training time, an 18yo top chinese player probably has practiced many 1000 hours more than an euro or american player.

Still it is an interesting project to try to dissect the china success

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Guys I just recieved permission to use private footage for our analysis.
In the next video we will do full context analysis of Ma Longs complex footwork. Preparing graphics now.
Meanwhile, check the clip here:
https://youtu.be/mCHaM7JlX3M

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
You are welcome,
For many people it is not easy to accept that there might be the new effective way of teaching TT on theoretical basis. Understanding of underlying concepts and possible new approaches to the game seems unimaginable. Our approach leads to better and conscious coordination training and faster muscle memory development once you get the idea. However it requires some work for the audience to try it for themselves, so they can feel it. We are glad that you feel it the same way.

I agree that the form we are presenting is somethimes rough as some of the guys here on the forum pointed, but if you try to see things the same way as we do you will be rewarded. Problem is that we are trying to draw things as we see and feel them, but abilities to express such things in precise form are limited. As technicians we are trying to do best as we can with explanation.

Over the years we discovered so much about TT that is not evident at the first glance (sometimes even counterintuitive) and very few people see it and even less can descibe it. Question is, if there is enough people who are willing to do things diffrently and see things from different perspective, use their time and mental energy as a resource for improvement.

Everyone can do it!
https://youtu.be/WlwqlaVPrC0

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Of course,
a lot of poeple underestimate the basics.

Check out NEW REVAMPED Ep.01 at the top of the thread. Ep.03 also available. Ep.02 in progress. Be patient.

OK, or here :)

Modifications:
(pace and spacing of speech is much more fluent, now, audio background added. We shorten and modified a script a little bit + we cut and edited some clips to add example for reference).

Thank you all for the tips for improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: karupinkun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
There are some good points made but they are stating the obvious. The dangerous vs safe shot concept and anticipation or getting ready for a possible return instead of standing there admiring your last shot. I am guilty of that. The safe vs dangerous idea is not covered as well as it could be. For instance, as your skill (consistency) increases the standard deviation between what was desired and what actually happen decreases so shots can tend to be lower and close to the net. I don't like the term dangerous or even risky because what is dangerous or risky for a beginner is not risky for a a good player. Also, the idea of a "safe" shot is also not a fixed thing. An good player that makes a higher "safe" shot will probably find the ball coming back. The video does mention that which is good. "safe" must also consider what the opponent is going to do with the ball.

The video doesn't consider the risk/reward ratio. That is what is really important.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Sure,
actually when you start to be better player you will not think about it anymore. This will become second nature to you. But many players do not know when they should put their focus in the first place. Some things that are obvious for talents are not visible for many others. We are trying to get the same background for everyone. Talents can not explain why they are doing things the way they do.

Idea of safe and dangerous should show, that if you feel safe trajectory you have more time and actions that you can use very effectively.
As shown in Ep.02.
Dangerous means that you are in danger because you have less time and less actions that you can afford.

Ratio risk/reward is from point of view of player who hits the ball, not the recieving one. We are talking about reacting to incoming ball, so you do not care about this.

We actulaly put tags YOU and OPPONENT for the reason in Ch.3. But I can see your point. In previous chapters this is not emphasised.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: