What is the closest clone of Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Offensive?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I just pulled out this blade from the closet, and I quite like it. I put Big Dipper and AK47 on it, and its quite fast, maybe a little faster than I expected for being All Wood.

What is the best clone (maybe from Yinhe or Sanwei) that is close to its characteristics? I feel the blade is quite fast, maybe lower range of OFF or a 8.6/10 speed rating. Flex is quite good, a fair bit flexier than your standard VIS.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews

On revspin, the Donic blade only shows speed of 8.8
probably doesnt really fit as a clone of HL5

Interesting comment for so many reasons... One of the most tenacious misconceptions about the HL5 is that it's a fast blade, but it isn't. Read here:

https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/2019/02/18/dhs-hurricane-long-5-3-overview-lab-test/

Long 5 is only a bit faster than Korbel, Long 3 is as fast as Korbel. So both are quite slow blades (lower end of off), regardless of DHS claiming that especially the HL5 it is an Off+ blade. That's just marketing. One comment on revspin (where HL5 has a totally nuts speed rating of 9.6!!!) sums up the whole thing quite well:

"I think the review of HL5 is the exact reason why reviews on revspin can be misleading and that you have to take them with a grain of salt. Anyone with some level of knowledge in TT equipment would know that there is just no way this blade can be faster than some of the obviously faster blades like Primorac / Schlager carbon, many of the ZLCs or ALCs with outer carbon placement. HL5 is a great blade in a sense that if does offer more control than the aforementioned blades and is more suitable for loopers."

Also watch this video with Dan's and Dima's review of the Donic Ovtcharov No 1 Senso:

Watch the video from 8:21. Here Dima explains that he was dissatisfied with his previous blade (too fast and uncontrolled) and how Ma Long helped him to find a new slower blade. What he is revealing here is that Ma Long gave him the idea to clone the HL5/W698 with his then contract partner Donic.

So to return to your reply. The speed rating of the Donic blade on revspin seems to be adequate, the speed rating of the HL5 certainly is not. The HL5 should have a similar rating as the Donic blade. Moral: never believe revspin!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews

Watch the video from 8:21. Here Dima explains that he was dissatisfied with his previous blade (too fast and uncontrolled) and how Ma Long helped him to find a new slower blade. What he is revealing here is that Ma Long gave him the idea to clone the HL5 with his then contract partner Donic.

It was W968, not HL5

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Interesting comment for so many reasons... One of the most tenacious misconceptions about the HL5 is that it's a fast blade, but it isn't. Read here:

https://ttgearlab.wordpress.com/2019/02/18/dhs-hurricane-long-5-3-overview-lab-test/

Long 5 is only a bit faster than Korbel, Long 3 is as fast as Korbel. So both are quite slow blades (lower end of off), regardless of DHS claiming that especially the HL5 it is an Off+ blade. That's just marketing. One comment on revspin (where HL5 has a totally nuts speed rating of 9.6!!!) sums up the whole thing quite well:

"I think the review of HL5 is the exact reason why reviews on revspin can be misleading and that you have to take them with a grain of salt. Anyone with some level of knowledge in TT equipment would know that there is just no way this blade can be faster than some of the obviously faster blades like Primorac / Schlager carbon, many of the ZLCs or ALCs with outer carbon placement. HL5 is a great blade in a sense that if does offer more control than the aforementioned blades and is more suitable for loopers."

Also watch this video with Dan's and Dima's review of the Donic Ovtcharov No 1 Senso:

Watch the video from 8:21. Here Dima explains that he was dissatisfied with his previous blade (too fast and uncontrolled) and how Ma Long helped him to find a new slower blade. What he is revealing here is that Ma Long gave him the idea to clone the HL5/W698 with his then contract partner Donic.

So to return to your reply. The speed rating of the Donic blade on revspin seems to be adequate, the speed rating of the HL5 certainly is not. The HL5 should have a similar rating as the Donic blade. Moral: never believe revspin!

Dima didnt say that its a clone of HL5, he just said that he saw Ma Long switch to a blade with better control, and it allowed him to hit harder with confidence. Any idea what was Ma Long's original blade?

So if Viscaria is a 9.0 on speed, what would you rate HL5 and Primorac Carbon?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Dima didnt say that its a clone of HL5, he just said that he saw Ma Long switch to a blade with better control, and it allowed him to hit harder with confidence. Any idea what was Ma Long's original blade?

So if Viscaria is a 9.0 on speed, what would you rate HL5 and Primorac Carbon?

Of course he didn't say that explicitly because that would have offended Donic (making them look like counterfeiters).

I have no clue how the speed ratings on revspin come about. Primorac Carbon is the fastest blade you can get (its Off++, it has a thick core, Tamca 5000 carbon and Hinoki outer plies, it's thick and fast), Viscaria is an Off blade (more on the upper part of Off), HL5 is a an Off blade on the lower part of Off.

Reactions: thomas.pong
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021

Of course he didn't say that explicitly because that would have offended Donic (making them look like counterfeiters).

I have no clue how the speed ratings on revspin come about. Primorac Carbon is the fastest blade you can get (its Off++, it has a thick core, Tamca 5000 carbon and Hinoki outer plies, it's thick and fast), Viscaria is an Off blade (more on the upper part of Off), HL5 is a an Off blade on the lower part of Off.

Ive played both Viscaria and HL5. I personally felt HL5 is faster, especially in the top end speed and power. But any other opinions? which is faster?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
I believe this is a Pro player in the German league. But anyways, he said he used to play Viscaria but switched to HL5 for the increase in speed and power.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
I believe this is a Pro player in the German league. But anyways, he said he used to play Viscaria but switched to HL5 for the increase in speed and power.

Well, good example of a good player talking absolute bs. He also says that HL5/W698 is harder than the Viscaria. 🤣 Innerforce blade with soft Limba top ply (HL5) vs. outer carbon blade with hard Koto top ply (Viscaria). Sorry, Dude...I'm out now. Good luck for your quest.

Last edited:
  • Haha
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
I just pulled out this blade from the closet, and I quite like it. I put Big Dipper and AK47 on it, and its quite fast, maybe a little faster than I expected for being All Wood.

What is the best clone (maybe from Yinhe or Sanwei) that is close to its characteristics? I feel the blade is quite fast, maybe lower range of OFF or a 8.6/10 speed rating. Flex is quite good, a fair bit flexier than your standard VIS.
Stiga Clipper

BTY SK 7

My point is if it is a seven wood it should be comparable to seven ply wood from another company. At our level ( club level ) the minute difference is undetectable by our hands. It is purely a nit-picking exercise on your part.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2020

The Yasaka MLEO is a 5-ply blade (walnut/spruce/??/spruce/walnut) and the Yinhe Pro-5W also has walnut/spruce as top two layers. Also the build quality is very good on the Pro-5W. I measured 1400 Hz on the MLEO and 1356 Hz and 1335 Hz on my two Pro-5W's, so these are a little slower than the MLEO.

The Clipper type blades (e.g. Yinhe PD-437) have limba/5x ayous/limba. They tend to be around 1400 Hz but the Yinhe UV-1VB was only 1270 Hz. Last year's Yinhe PD-437S also was 1270 Hz and so slower.

So I found that the 7-ply blades can be quite different from each other. Read the reviews before buying, or play one before you buy. Also the handles can be different, theTibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition has the thickest handle (even thicker than the thick Sanwei Fextra flared handle) while the Yinhe Purple Dragon 437 is not quite as thick.

Mar 2021

The Yasaka MLEO is a 5-ply blade (walnut/spruce/??/spruce/walnut) and the Yinhe Pro-5W also has walnut/spruce as top two layers. Also the build quality is very good on the Pro-5W. I measured 1400 Hz on the MLEO and 1356 Hz and 1335 Hz on my two Pro-5W's, so these are a little slower than the MLEO.

The Clipper type blades (e.g. Yinhe PD-437) have limba/5x ayous/limba. They tend to be around 1400 Hz but the Yinhe UV-1VB was only 1270 Hz. Last year's Yinhe PD-437S also was 1270 Hz and so slower.

So I found that the 7-ply blades can be quite different from each other. Read the reviews before buying, or play one before you buy. Also the handles can be different, theTibhar Samsonov Force Pro Black Edition has the thickest handle (even thicker than the thick Sanwei Fextra flared handle) while the Yinhe Purple Dragon 437 is not quite as thick.

Oh MLEO is a five ply? I thought it was seven ply. In that case it should be comparable to other brands' five ply wood, apple to apple: orange to orange, e.g., Stiga Classic Offensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
Oh MLEO is a five ply? I thought it was seven ply. In that case it should be comparable to other brands' five ply wood, apple to apple: orange to orange, e.g., Stiga Classic Offensive.

What about type of wood? You don't care different 7 ply blades have different type of wood and very different from each other

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Stiga OC is thinner (5.3 - 5.5 mm vs 6 mm), slower, lighter, more flexible, vibrates a lot and is maybe All+/Off- depending on weight. The YEO is usually (never heard of anything below 85g) solid OFF (maybe on the lower OFF or even upper OFF- end by todays standards but the only faster blade I own is a Yinhe V14 Pro).
The closest blade from Stiga would be the Intensity NCT (same walnut, spruce, ayous composition + their NCT stuff)