Butterfly Falcima for noobies

says Rozena! You complete me.
says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Not too long ago, I made a comment that BTY is only looking out for pro players and ignored us noobies club players. Guess what! In Mar 2022, they will launch a new bat targeted at noobie club players. Rejoice! Hail BTY! They do listen actually.

And what rubber should go on it? None other than Rozena aka Tenergy Lite.

Butterfly Falcima Review - Great blade for beginners - PingSunday

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree, its still a pretty pricey blade. Butterfly has (according to me) better options already.
I.e Boll Mezzoforte, Boll allround, Boll control etc.. all less expensive.

Cheers
L-zr

Last edited:
Reactions: Tipiak

NDH

says Spin to win!
Not too long ago, I made a comment that BTY is only looking out for pro players and ignored us noobies club players. Guess what! In Mar 2022, they will launch a new bat targeted at noobie club players. Rejoice! Hail BTY! They do listen actually.

Yeah, I think I agree with @Lazer on this one.

If anything, I'd say that Butterfly isn't catering for the "noob" EJ's, because they don't release a lot of shiny new blades catered for the beginner/intermediate market.

But that's because there are already a lot of blades they make that already cover those people.

Korbel and Primorac are probably the 2 most used blades for noobs - and they caters for such a wide range of people (from noob to pro!)

I imagine the noob EJ market is small, with most EJ's wanting to try the "new technologies" and "pro named" blades etc.

Also, I'm not sure that "noob" and Rozena go in the same sentence. Rozena is a fast rubber, way too fast for the majority of players.

People think it's slow because it's slower than Tenergy, but it's like saying a Ferrari is slow because it's slower than the Bugatti (insert your own analogy here!)

From the drills I've seen of you playing, you aren't a noob - I'd put you in the "intermediate" category which is pretty big, and covers a wide range of ability.

I just don't see this Falcima Blade offering you anything different to what is currently out there.

It comes down to the "want", and if you are like me, you'll want it anyway! 😀

This user has no status.

Yeah, I think I agree with @Lazer on this one.

If anything, I'd say that Butterfly isn't catering for the "noob" EJ's, because they don't release a lot of shiny new blades catered for the beginner/intermediate market.

But that's because there are already a lot of blades they make that already cover those people.

Korbel and Primorac are probably the 2 most used blades for noobs - and they caters for such a wide range of people (from noob to pro!)

I imagine the noob EJ market is small, with most EJ's wanting to try the "new technologies" and "pro named" blades etc.

Also, I'm not sure that "noob" and Rozena go in the same sentence. Rozena is a fast rubber, way too fast for the majority of players.

People think it's slow because it's slower than Tenergy, but it's like saying a Ferrari is slow because it's slower than the Bugatti (insert your own analogy here!)

From the drills I've seen of you playing, you aren't a noob - I'd put you in the "intermediate" category which is pretty big, and covers a wide range of ability.

I just don't see this Falcima Blade offering you anything different to what is currently out there.

It comes down to the "want", and if you are like me, you'll want it anyway! 😀

I’ve heard that the Falcima is actually better for real beginners who are first learning strokes. But it’s actually not good for intermediate and advanced players because of the lack of power away from table.

PS: my analogy: it’s like saying Tenergy is cheap because it has a lower price than Dignics

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Just for the record friend NDH, I am completely cured of my EJ sickness. I am not looking to acquire this new BTY blade or any other blade for a long long time to come.
Says Gozo proudly as he types his credit card info into the BTY webstite😁

Judging from the specs and the high price, I wouldn't call this a noob blade :)
Our friend PingSunday isn't really doing a review here either, he's just making a statement.

I am however wondering whether this could serve as a slightly faster Korbel, but with a regular blade size and a sub 90gr weight.
Judging from the specs it might, but we all know how it goes with specs, right :-(

Does anyone know about the types of wood used on this blade?
If it is just a lighter, smaller (and faster) Korbel, the price is really high :-(
Hopefully we'll see some real tests and reviews appear...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Judging from the specs and the high price, I wouldn't call this a noob blade :)
Our friend PingSunday isn't really doing a review here either, he's just making a statement.

I am however wondering whether this could serve as a slightly faster Korbel, but with a regular blade size and a sub 90gr weight.
Judging from the specs it might, but we all know how it goes with specs, right :-(

Does anyone know about the types of wood used on this blade?
If it is just a lighter, smaller (and faster) Korbel, the price is really high :-(
Hopefully we'll see some real tests and reviews appear...

Looking at the images on BTYs website I would say that the Falcima uses Koto for the outer ply. Medial ply and core I have to guess... Maybe Limba or Ayous and a Kiri core.
For reaction/speed the German BTY site has different values for the Korbel: 11.1 for the ones made in Japan and 10.5 for the European Korbels. Falcima 10.9 also made in Japan. Prices: Korbel Japan 84.90€, Korbel Europe 44.90€, Primorac Japan 69.90€ and 79.90€ for the Falcima. Still quite expensive for an all-wood blade but in line with BTY blades made in Japan over here.

Reactions: timdm
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Guys... it's only an XStar V with a thicker core, it's the exact same construction with limba outer ply, Butterfly has always made entry level blades for beginners, the famous Xstar series, and they never use koto for these blades, it's just that... they don't feel the need to promote those that much, we all know that EJs always have their retinas being fractured when it comes to fancy ZLC, ALC, Supa üba SZALC stuff 🤣

XStar V: 5.6 mm
Falcima : 6.0 mm hence the difference in reaction/vibration ratio.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Just got this blade (88 grams) earlier this week and played in 5 pennant league matches.

Rubbers
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1mm
Backhand: Tenergy 80fx 1.9mm

This blade is really good, it feels like an all wood 5 ply version of the Viscaria!
Has good speed, great control and feel. It seems faster than the Butterfly Korbel (5 ply version) and Butterfly CAF (I had both).
Goes really well with the Tenergy rubbers I had on it.
It has great touch and has good spin. It has a good balance of dwell but you can do fast loops when needed (you still need good technique obviously).
Its very well balanced - this is the best way I can describe this blade. It has fairly high/good arc. If you love Butterfly, dont want to use ALC blades (yet)
and love all wood blades this blade is for you! I think its good for beginners (using slower rubbers) and for intermediate players (using medium to fast rubbers).

There's almost no reviews on this blade online (not sure why not!) so I had to buy it and try it. I hope this helps anyone that curious about this blade. I think its a winner. It seems to be a stepping stone (pathway) to a Viscaria/Timo Boll ALC. It has a very similar gameplay feel. It even looks similar to the Viscaria!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Just got this blade earlier this week and played in 5 pennant league matches.

Rubbers
Forehand: Tenergy 05 2.1mm
Backhand: Tenergy 80fx 1.9mm

This blade is really good, it feels like an all wood 5 ply version of the Viscaria!
Has good speed, great control and feel. It seems faster than the Butterfly Korbel (5 ply version) and Butterfly CAF (I had both).

Did you weigh your Falcima? A reviewer from Germany wrote that the speed of her/his 85g Falcima is somewhere between Primorac and Korbel. https://forum.tt-news.de/showthread.php?t=433975&page=2

There's almost no reviews on this blade online (not sure why not!) so I had to buy it and try it. I hope this helps anyone that curious about this blade. I think its a winner. It seems to be a stepping stone (pathway) to a Viscaria/Timo Boll ALC. It has a very similar gameplay feel. It even looks similar to the Viscaria!!

Definitely helped. Something like an all-wood Viscaria would be nice to have ;)

Reactions: Bourne
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews

That link says a beginner can use that blade with Rozena or DNA rubbers. Beginner? okay.....

if you what a noobnoob bat, there are tons of butterfly premades hobby bats

Reactions: OldUser
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Did you weigh your Falcima? A reviewer from Germany wrote that the speed of her/his 85g Falcima is somewhere between Primorac and Korbel.

Definitely helped. Something like an all-wood Viscaria would be nice to have ;)

Yes it weighs 88 grams. Its definitely faster than a Korbel. Its even faster than a Stiga Rosewood NCT V (which I definitely think is faster than a Korbel).

I have owned and played with over 20 blades.

Here are some blades that I feel the Butterfly Falcima is faster than. Note: I always use Tenergy 05 2.1mm on all my blades when I try them:
Stiga Rosewood NCT V (87 grams)
Stiga Arctic Wood (83 grams)
Stiga Infinity (89 grams)
Butterfly Peter Korbel 5 Ply All wood - Japanese Version (90 grams)
Butterfly Primorac 5 Ply All wood - Euro Version
Nittaku Acoustic 5 Ply All wood (87 grams)

Here are some other blades I have:
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon Inner
Nittaku Tenor
Stiga Emerald
Stiga Nostalgic Allround
Stiga Nostalgic Offensive
OSP Virtuoso
OSP Virtuoso Plus
Butterfly Viscaria

Yes I am not surprised it feels similar to the Viscaria due to the outerlayer which appears to look like koto and the inner core layer looks the same (kiri).

Another thing about this blade: it feels very light!! That would help beginners I believe. Easier to swing and learn your strokes. Its also not head heavy (unlike my Acoustic) :)

I am always looking for all wood blades that have really good control and feel but loop well and have enough speed. This blade just meets my criteria!! There are some players in my league that return all my fast loops so I need to use something just fast enough to win those points but retain good control, feel and touch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tadeiro and ttarc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018

That link says a beginner can use that blade with Rozena or DNA rubbers. Beginner? okay.....

if you what a noobnoob bat, there are tons of butterfly premades hobby bats

Yeh like someone else mentioned, Rozena is not a slow rubber so a setup with this blade with Rozena max 2.1mm would not be slow but would still have decent speed. Maybe Rozena with 1.9mm would be more controllable for beginners ☺

I think this blade is between offensive- and offensive

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
Read 1 reviews
Yes it weighs 88 grams.

I have owned and played with over 20 blades.

Here are some blades that I feel the Butterfly Falcima is faster than. Note: I always use Tenergy 05 2.1mm on all my blades when I try them:
Stiga Rosewood NCT V (87 grams)
Stiga Arctic Wood (83 grams)
Butterfly Peter Korbel 5 Ply All wood - Japanese Version (90 grams)
Butterfly Primorac 5 Ply All wood - Euro Version
Nittaku Acoustic 5 Ply All wood (87 grams)

Thank you! 85g and between Primorac and Korbel. 88g and faster than Korbel or Rosewood (afaik Korbel and Rosewood are quite close in terms of speed). Some (at least for me) good data points for selecting the right weight!

Yes I am not surprised it feels similar to the Viscaria due to the outerlayer which appears to look like koto and the inner core layer looks the same (kiri).

Another thing about this blade: it feels very light!! That would help beginners I believe. Easier to swing and learn your strokes. Its also not head heavy (unlike my Acoustic) :)

That's something the reviewer in the German forum also noticed: The blade feels balanced. Usually head heavy blades feel heavy/unbalanced regardless of their weight.

I am always looking for all wood blades that have really good control and feel but loop well and have enough speed. This blade just meets my criteria!! There are some players in my league that return all my fast loops so I need to use something just fast enough to win those points but retain good control, feel and touch.

Yep, the fine balance between good control, feel and enough speed (and having enough time to train)...
My Hinotec Off- (more Off on full power strokes but not too fast so that I need to restrain myself) comes quite close to what I'm looking for but could have a slightly crisper feeling.

Reactions: Bourne
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2022

Got it
92792e4a01c33e6fef58853cedc51132.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk