Help needed by an oldie

This user has no status.

So, I guess the thing is, you are talking about wanting to change equipment to increase your level at the beginning of the thread. And in this post, it sounds like you are sayin that you are not getting enough time on the table to improve regardless of what equipment you are using.

So, the question I would ask is, would you want to change to a setup where you feel awkward, play worse, but maybe get 1 or 2 more points per game against those same players you lose at -3, -4, -3 against despite the fact that you are actually playing worse and feel awkward? Or would you rather just play with what you are used to and have fun, and when you have a scenario where you can get enough table time, then decide what methods you would like to use to increase your skill level?

My suggestion would be for you to play when you can and be happy with whatever happens. And don't worry about letting people down when you play. Just play when you can and forget about the rest.

If there is ever a point where you have enough table time to focus on improving, at that point you will have many ways of doing it to choose from.

There are plenty of people where one or another pips out rubber really works for their style of play, and/or their temperament. I am not sure, being in your 70s with limited time on the table to get used to such a big change is the right time to explore that kind of option seriously. But you have to think about what makes you like playing TT? Is it making great shots and playing well? Or is it making points on tricking someone so they make mistakes on balls that should be easy if they are read properly? It is a valid choice when that is how you like to play. I used to train with this guy who played a combination LP/Smooth who was amazing at twiddling and he got so much glee out of dropping the ball short with either rubber and watching decent level players misread what he did. He was a trickster and he loved it. There are other people who are just great at monster flat hit punch shots who do great with SP rubbers and you can see the joy they get in making those evil dead ball punch shots that are very awkward to return. Do either of those sound like you? You need to think about what really makes you happy when you play TT to decide what kind of equipment you would like to use.

Thanks again Carl. Your comments remind me of what my coach said to me when I discussed maybe using long pips on the backhand. He said: "You don't strike me as the sort of person that likes the idea of messing people about." I am going to stick with what I know and seek out more singles competition. Everyone, including you as usual, have been very helpful and I do hope that I haven't wasted anyones time. The advice given has been appreciated and considered carefully to reach what I believe to be the right decision. Thank you all.

Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
(Is this the old Rosskopf Blade?).
If it is,then i only know it from back in the 90s,never played any of your rubbers so i can´t help you there.

Yes it is. The description says:
"The JOOLA Rossi Emotion table tennis blade developed by Germany’s Mr. Table Tennis, Jorg Rosskopf, in person, for attacking players who want to play with a carbon blade for it’s attacking performance, but who also need total security when playing blocking and chopping shots.

The carbon fibre core of the JOOLA Rossi Emotion blade provides an enhanced sweet spot but due to specially selected koto, ayous and hinoki woods, in comparison with other carbon blades the feel is soft, and plays with a relatively high trajectory.

The impact for the user is ultimate precision and is perfect for the controlling topspin player."

Reactions: Haraold
This user has no status.
So the carbon didn´t change at all those years?Just remembered that some of the first Carbon Blade Generation were a bid to stiff for me,and i had to adjust and the Emotion was my first carbon racket,which i traded later for a Graphite Wood or so from Stiga, mainly cause i ddn´t liked the anatomic handle from Joola,and those from Stiga more.
Played Coppa on max both sides back then,oh the memories.
Stay Healthy and have fun in getting better,even a loss is sometimes a "win".

Reactions: Basmundo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Its not only about blades, If you have tried different blades and rubbers how about learning new moves and strategies to tackle the situation ?