blade with good vibrations

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Hello team!

Recently, I was thinking that my blade ( donic offensiv epox, with stiga dna pro fh and bh ) is having too few vibrations, and I don't have a good feeling of the ball contacting my blade. I asked some members of my club, to see if I was wrong, but they told me the same thing. So, I am currently looking for a new blade, and I found the dhs hurricane 301 to be a great deal. If you own or have used this blade in the past, can you confirm that it has a good vibration? I forgot to mention that i am an offensive player, most of the time hitting the ball with much power ( while blocking or top spin ), maybe a little more with backhand. I am open to other recommendations, I would like to spend somewhere around 100€.

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Hello team!

Recently, I was thinking that my blade ( donic offensiv epox, with stiga dna pro fh and bh ) is having too few vibrations, and I don't have a good feeling of the ball contacting my blade. I asked some members of my club, to see if I was wrong, but they told me the same thing. So, I am currently looking for a new blade, and I found the dhs hurricane 301 to be a great deal. If you own or have used this blade in the past, can you confirm that it has a good vibration? I forgot to mention that i am an offensive player, most of the time hitting the ball with much power ( while blocking or top spin ), maybe a little more with backhand. I am open to other recommendations, I would like to spend somewhere around 100€.

Thank you for your time!

just interested how you use a lot of power when blocking................as i do not use any power.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

just interested how you use a lot of power when blocking................as i do not use any power.

I am not sure the sentence you are referring to meant it how you read it. Maybe it did. But I also know, a lot of lower level players don't understand blocking fully and think about it as putting the racket out and directing the ball back, so, think about it as an entirely passive process.

Watch this video. It is J Persson and Oh Sang Eun warming up. Sorry that the camera person has a very unsteady hand. But you can still see the important details. First: watch when they counterhit; watch the stroke. Then watch when one of them starts looping and the other starts blocking. I believe Persson starts looping first. Oh Sang Eun's "block" looks exactly like a very slightly smaller counterhit stroke than the stroke when they are counterhitting. When the switch and Persson blocks it is even easier to see since he is on the same side as the camera and the camera is directly behind his FH. And he does the same thing.

Why is this important? A block is still a stroke. High level players will do a block as a little baby stroke. Why else is this important? If you do that same baby stroke like a block, vs a big heavy loop, but change how you contact the ball, you can make it a baby counter-loop. And if you can do that, with a very simple, small stroke, you can hit shots that are crazy fast and crazy spinny while taking all your power from the power on the incoming ball. Learning this is the first step towards counter-looping.

But, it also means that, if you do a block correctly like these guys and add a little more inertia into your contact, with that little stroke, you can still zing the ball back with a lot of power.

It does not matter which guy you look at, when one is looping and the other is blocking, the block is a stroke that looks like a small counterhit stroke. And either of them could just put more force on the impact to make the ball come back with much more power.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Hope that is helpful because if you are not thinking about blocking like that and you start trying to learn to block like that, YOU WILL IMPROVE.

This will shift your blocking from sticking the racket out and hoping you have the racket at the right angle to direct the ball back (hope and pray blocking) to a measured stroke where you control the path of the ball back with the direction of the racket, not just the angle of the blade face. It is also worth looking at how open each have their blade face on that block stroke. And despite the ball coming at them having a lot of spin, they are in control of the path the ball takes on the way back.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
donic offensiv epox, ..... dhs hurricane 301
Donic Epox Offensiv is all wood and moderate speed. It may not have great feel. But aren't most of the blades that are noted for having really good ball feel blades that are ALL WOOD? Isn't DHS H301 a Carbon blade? Carbon fiber dampens wood feedback so usually carbon blades are not noted for ball feeling capabilities. But they usually are faster than wood blades. (Not always, but frequently).

If the priority is ball feel, think about looking into one of these blades:

1) Tibhar Stratus PowerWood
2) Butterfly Petr Korbel
3) Butterfly Primorac (the one with no carbon)
4) Xiom Offensive S

Those are fairly moderate speed. I would imagine there in a similar speed class to the blade you are using.

But, if you wanted faster with good ball feel, then you could think about these:

1) Stiga Clipper
2) Xiom Extreme S

I could be wrong. The DHS H301 may have good ball feel for a carbon blade. But because the kind of material Carbon is, IT WILL DAMPEN some of the important vibration frequencies that will cause you to feel the ball. Arylate is also a material that dampens a range of vibrations and the H301 is an Arylate/Carbon blade. So, I would consider whether you actually want that blade if what you want is more feeling.

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020

Hope that is helpful because if you are not thinking about blocking like that and you start trying to learn to block like that, YOU WILL IMPROVE.

This will shift your blocking from sticking the racket out and hoping you have the racket at the right angle to direct the ball back (hope and pray blocking) to a measured stroke where you control the path of the ball back with the direction of the racket, not just the angle of the blade face. It is also worth looking at how open each have their blade face on that block stroke. And despite the ball coming at them having a lot of spin, they are in control of the path the ball takes on the way back.

there is no disagreement.
Personally I only use a passive block when the incoming shot is to strong and too fast for me to do anything else.
I do admit though, this happens quite a lot.
Thank you for the video and thank you for caring, I do appreciate it. 🙏

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
there is no disagreement.
Personally I only use a passive block when the incoming shot is to strong and too fast for me to do anything else.
I do admit though, this happens quite a lot.
Thank you for the video and thank you for caring, I do appreciate it. 🙏

Yeap. Good players can also block in a way where the ball came in fast, and the block really cushions the power on the ball so it goes back supper slow and maybe even short. On those, the racket might move back. :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Thank you for your time and the explanation, that should be really helpful for beginners! I really didn't expect to get answers that fast! It's nice to know that active table tennis forums exist! Since you seem to have experience, maybe you could give me an opinion about dhs hurricane 301?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Donic Epox Offensiv is all wood and moderate speed. It may not have great feel. But aren't most of the blades that are noted for having really good ball feel blades that are ALL WOOD? Isn't DHS H301 a Carbon blade? Carbon fiber dampens wood feedback so usually carbon blades are not noted for ball feeling capabilities. But they usually are faster than wood blades. (Not always, but frequently).

If the priority is ball feel, think about looking into one of these blades:

1) Tibhar Stratus PowerWood
2) Butterfly Petr Korbel
3) Butterfly Primorac (the one with no carbon)
4) Xiom Offensive S

Those are fairly moderate speed. I would imagine there in a similar speed class to the blade you are using.

But, if you wanted faster with good ball feel, then you could think about these:

1) Stiga Clipper
2) Xiom Extreme S

I could be wrong. The DHS H301 may have good ball feel for a carbon blade. But because the kind of material Carbon is, IT WILL DAMPEN some of the important vibration frequencies that will cause you to feel the ball. Arylate is also a material that dampens a range of vibrations and the H301 is an Arylate/Carbon blade. So, I would consider whether you actually want that blade if what you want is more feeling.

To give you a comparison, today i tried the BUTTERFLY OVTCHAROV IF ALC, and i really liked the feeling. It is just that i dont want to give 180€ at that point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2020

I agree with Carl that if you're after a blade with good 'feel' then an all-wood blade is more likely to tick the right boxes for you.

Having said that, if you want a composite blade at less than €100 then two options that might be worth a look are the Andro Treiber CI Off and the Joola Rossi Emotion. You can probably pick one of those up for about €75 and they're both very well thought of blades.

Stick with all-wood if you can though: much better feeling! The options Carl listed are all good ones, and I'd add the Tibhar Lebesson to the list of considerations.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

To give you a comparison, today i tried the BUTTERFLY OVTCHAROV IF ALC, and i really liked the feeling. It is just that i dont want to give 180€ at that point.

I agree with what Manto says. And if you are really thinking you want a carbon blade which is different than wanting a blade with more feeling, then you could also look at the Donic Orignal True Carbon.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
@OP.
Couple of years ago I also decided to go looking for a "good feel" fast blade(all wood) and without exception the owners of the blades I've tried insisted that their blade have the best feel. After some time I had already a good idea what am I going to look for. So take your time while trying blades and reading forums. So far for me BTY IF ALC offered the best of both worlds, but I wasn't impressed much by the HL5 , Apolonia and some Joola inner carbons. It is so subjective after all.
Why don't you discuss the matter with Hipnotic?