Do you think this volleyball shoe is suitable for table tennis ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Why wouldn't it be suitable ...

There was actually a thread some years back about which shoes provided best shock absorption either on this forum or mytt and someone mentioned that "volleyball shoes are great for table tennis".

I've used Wave Hurricane 2 volleyball shoes since then and they are great for table tennis. Excellent cushioning and shock absorption, durable.

says Rozena! You complete me.
Mar 2021
Why wouldn't it be suitable ...

There was actually a thread some years back about which shoes provided best shock absorption either on this forum or mytt and someone mentioned that "volleyball shoes are great for table tennis".

I've used Wave Hurricane 2 volleyball shoes since then and they are great for table tennis. Excellent cushioning and shock absorption, durable.
I hope there are more people who can comment about this topic.

I read from ERT's website he said for TT, the shoe should have thinner sole as to prevent rolling and hence ankle injury. The thicker sole for shock absorbency is less important because you seldom jump in TT. You move laterally more than vertical.

On a personal note, I wear a Donic branded TT shoe and it has a thinner sole compared to most other court shoe. However, I am in a dilemma because I am above 90kg and although I don't jump around in TT, I am thinking will my knee thank me for using a more thicker sole to support my weight or not? The dilemma of thicker sole to support the knee or a thinner sole to prevent ankle rolling. Dilemma! Dilemma!

That is why I would love to hear more comments from fellow forumers.

in general 90% of my club and i think a big parcel of people on Brazil use asics gel rocket series and asics upcourt series, they are volleyball shoes the other 9% of my club use the Lefus tt shoes of aliexpress, so good too. and 1% use futsal shoes, i think is too much thin for tt.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
in general 90% of my club and i think a big parcel of people on Brazil use asics gel rocket series and asics upcourt series, they are volleyball shoes the other 9% of my club use the Lefus tt shoes of aliexpress, so good too. and 1% use futsal shoes, i think is too much thin for tt.

I have found the ASICS Gel Tactic 2 to be a better shoe, for me, than the Gel Rocket. The former provides better shock absorption, support, and traction.

Here's a video review of the Gel Tactic 2 from a squash player. He favors this shoe over the Rocket because he feels it offers better knee and joint protection.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I hope there are more people who can comment about this topic.I read from ERT's website he said for TT, the shoe should have thinner sole as to prevent rolling and hence ankle injury. The thicker sole for shock absorbency is less important because you seldom jump in TT. You move laterally more than vertical.On a personal note, I wear a Donic branded TT shoe and it has a thinner sole compared to most other court shoe. However, I am in a dilemma because I am above 90kg and although I don't jump around in TT, I am thinking will my knee thank me for using a more thicker sole to support my weight or not? The dilemma of thicker sole to support the knee or a thinner sole to prevent ankle rolling. Dilemma! Dilemma!That is why I would love to hear more comments from fellow forumers.

Gozo, the next time you are 15 years old, 49 KG and training the footwork drill in the video below, you should wear thin soled TT shoes. Until then, YOU should probably be wearing something with more support like INDOOR VOLLEYBALL SHOES; I am pretty sure they will be BETTER FOR YOU.

Also, think about where you are getting your information from. Have you ever seen footage of EmRatThich? Have you ever seen footage of players EmRatThich actually coached? There is plenty of information that ERT presents that is useful. But it is worth questioning an "online" coach who will never show footage of himself and/or anyone he has ever trained. It is also worth thinking about the information of a Vietnamese man living in France who talks about Chinese technique. Mixed in withe the good information from him is so much weird marketing stuff. And I would say, it might be better to get the information from someone who can SHOW what he is describing himself, and put the information into context. Like, a piece of information needed in that idea of how TT shoes should have a thin sole is, that information is useful for someone who is really doing A LOT of footwork drills. That information is useful for someone fairly young. Probably, it is not the greatest information for someone older than say, 40 years old when your body can't hold up the way it did when you were younger. There are anomalies. Timo Boll is fine in TT shoes still. But at a certain point, for people who are on the older side, those thin soled shoes can wind up giving you Plantar Faciitis or other repetitive stress injuries.

Information needs to be put into a proper context. Without that, well meant information can still be harmful.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 3 reviews
I used to play in addidas tt shoes for many-many years. They had quite thick sole. Then when I wear it out and there were no addidas table tennis models, I have bought mizuno model with not extremely but quite thin sole. I have got problem with my knees after 5-6 month which I could only solve (mostly) by ordering orthopedic insoles which are quite thick especially in a heel area. Which gave me similar feet position and feel as with addidas. And I have never ever had any problem with ankle rolling, so I suppose having no problem with knees is definitely more important for me. So considering thick soled voleyball shoes and thin sole table tennis shoes, I definitely would go with voleyball ones

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2019
I'm almost 61 and I' m using Yasaka Jet Impact, has been working great for me, light with thin soles...
But seriously almost any sport shoe will work...😉

Cheers
L-zr

If you don't have problems with your feet or knees, yeah, I would tend to agree almost any sport shoe will do, but if one has foot/ankle joint/tendon issues I disagree. Athletic shoes can vary greatly in terms of support, traction, shock absorption, etc. In that case the shoe can make a huge difference.

Even for a young healthy person, the lightest, "fastest" shoe might not be best for some people with respect to long-term joint and tendon health, but that is just pure speculation on my part.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Mar 2021

Gozo, the next time you are 15 years old, 49 KG and training the footwork drill in the video below, you should wear thin soled TT shoes. Until then, YOU should probably be wearing something with more support like INDOOR VOLLEYBALL SHOES; I am pretty sure they will be BETTER FOR YOU.

Also, think about where you are getting your information from. Have you ever seen footage of EmRatThich? Have you ever seen footage of players EmRatThich actually coached? There is plenty of information that ERT presents that is useful. But it is worth questioning an "online" coach who will never show footage of himself and/or anyone he has ever trained. It is also worth thinking about the information of a Vietnamese man living in France who talks about Chinese technique. Mixed in withe the good information from him is so much weird marketing stuff. And I would say, it might be better to get the information from someone who can SHOW what he is describing himself, and put the information into context. Like, a piece of information needed in that idea of how TT shoes should have a thin sole is, that information is useful for someone who is really doing A LOT of footwork drills. That information is useful for someone fairly young. Probably, it is not the greatest information for someone older than say, 40 years old when your body can't hold up the way it did when you were younger. There are anomalies. Timo Boll is fine in TT shoes still. But at a certain point, for people who are on the older side, those thin soled shoes can wind up giving you Plantar Faciitis or other repetitive stress injuries.

Information needs to be put into a proper context. Without that, well meant information can still be harmful.

Thanks Carl for your contextual input or rather putting things into proper context / perspective.

I wish to further ask, is badminton shoe equivalent to volleyball shoe? I am asking this because volleyball is not a recreational sport where I live. There are no such product available in your normal sport store ( similarly to TT equipment which I can only get from major city or through online ). I am sure volleyball equipment is even more rare.

However, my country is a powerhouse in the Olympic sport of Badminton and ( gushing with pride ) has produced a number of world champions. Now if I were to walk into any Tom, Dick or Harry sport store, I will find at least a rack full of badminton shoes available ex-stock.