WTT Singapore Smash 2022

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
So I hear the Grand Smashes are 1 out of 4 "Grand Slam" tourneys played annually? Can someone confirm.

I don't see any event info on any of the other Grand Smashes the remaining year.

Also wondering how this impacts the sport as a whole, since this parallels the Grand Slams in tennis as well, in terms of prestige and winning stakes. Wouldn't it be a (realistic) higher achievement to win multiple Grand Smashes in a row than a WTTC, World Cup + Olympics since those get played so rarely...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So I hear the Grand Smashes are 1 out of 4 "Grand Slam" tourneys played annually? Can someone confirm.

I don't see any event info on any of the other Grand Smashes the remaining year.

Also wondering how this impacts the sport as a whole, since this parallels the Grand Slams in tennis as well, in terms of prestige and winning stakes. Wouldn't it be a (realistic) higher achievement to win multiple Grand Smashes in a row than a WTTC, World Cup + Olympics since those get played so rarely...

Yes, the goal is to have 4 Grand Smashes per year similar to how tennis has 4 Slams. The hope of the ITTF is that the players and fans will value the Smashes like they do the Olympics, WTTC, WC and they've structured the ranking points to do that as well as the incentive of the prize money. The event calendar looks very sparse in terms of WTT events beyond the Youth events. No other Grand Smashes have been announced, and I suspect they're having troubling finding host nations that can come up with the $2 million USD prize money let alone the other associated costs with running such a tournament. Hopefully, the pandemic situation will finally lessen enough this year so we can get back to some sense of normalcy.

• Wow
Reactions: arlentan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021

Yes, the goal is to have 4 Grand Smashes per year similar to how tennis has 4 Slams. The hope of the ITTF is that the players and fans will value the Smashes like they do the Olympics, WTTC, WC and they've structured the ranking points to do that as well as the incentive of the prize money. The event calendar looks very sparse in terms of WTT events beyond the Youth events. No other Grand Smashes have been announced, and I suspect they're having troubling finding host nations that can come up with the $2 million USD prize money let alone the other associated costs with running such a tournament. Hopefully, the pandemic situation will finally lessen enough this year so we can get back to some sense of normalcy.

Awesome, thanks for clarifying! Yes the event calendar looks to mainly feature Youth events and no other Smashes. Doesn't the $2mil come from international sponsors like DHS? Although that would be a huge prizepool to match...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

Awesome, thanks for clarifying! Yes the event calendar looks to mainly feature Youth events and no other Smashes. Doesn't the $2mil come from international sponsors like DHS? Although that would be a huge prizepool to match...

Yes, it's hard to find enough sponsors to come up with $2 million. I'm speculating WTT recent appointment of Ai Fukuhara as WTT Japan General Manager was in hopes of having a Grand Smash in Japan. I do hope they succeed. It's finally nice to see a table tennis tournament with a prize pool worth writing about.

Reactions: Shine
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Agreed! Tabletennis should definitely deserve more attention! I think in Germany also due to corona, it has had more attention recently.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
They have some amazing first round matches in the second session on T1. FTW v Kuai Man, LJK v Gauzy, LSW v JJH, ML v Freitas. All good stuff for a R64.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2015
Read 1 reviews
Ok so am I the only one that has such problems?
  • No live video in the WTT APP (where is it? Only live scores)
  • On the website, if both T1 and T2 are streaming then it automatically switches to T2 and there is no menu to switch to T1 (???)
Overall.. How can I watch T1? :)

Edit: Ok, it seems like they fixed it on the website, cause it was showing the Stream from T3 and now it's back to T1 again 😅

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Been very impressed with Aruna lately he beat Lee Sangsu. Tough draw loooks like he will have ma long next.

Reactions: Shine

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

says Poly balls still suck.
Sep 2012
O5iuQ8m%20png.png

Go to hell, WTT. Seriously.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Why the ITTF youtube channel has stopped uploading short format highlighted videos? They were just yesterday uploading them from the Qualifying Group but there hasn't been any uploaded since yesterday even though many matches have already finished today.

So far I have only found this video on this channel being in short format.
Does anyone else know if other channels already have edited the videos and uploaded them in a short format somewhere other than this channel???

Oh wait this is an old video, this isn't from Singapore is it? But from a previous event before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Why the ITTF youtube channel has stopped uploading short format highlighted videos? They were just yesterday uploading them from the Qualifying Group but there hasn't been any uploaded since yesterday even though many matches have already finished today.
I have to give credit to ITTF/WTT on this one. They've already uploaded the entire live stream for tables 2,3, 4. I know it's long form, but for me, I just use the right arrow to skip to the beginning of each point. For short form, it takes time to edit and upload each match.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
So they have really just come back to the side angle for the main group? What the hell that is just despicable and barbaric for them to do such things after such a large amounts of people have been giving a good feedback on the videos with the corner angle and now they come back to the side angle again? WTF?

Reactions: karupinkun
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
So they have really just come back to the side angle for the main group? What the hell that is just despicable and barbaric for them to do such things after such a large amounts of people have been giving a good feedback on the videos with the corner angle and now they come back to the side angle again? WTF?

Showcase Table 1 is side angle. Tables 2,3,4 are corner angle. I am guessing that side view is more attractive for sponsors as it's easier to view their logos.