WTT Singapore Smash 2022

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012

Showcase Table 1 is side angle. Tables 2,3,4 are corner angle. I am guessing that side view is more attractive for sponsors as it's easier to view their logos.

It's basically a tyranny to enrich the very few no matter how else you will try to convolute it in sugar-coated words but that's what it is.

The vast amount of comments and complaints on YT videos that are blaring saying how awful the side angle is and how probably an overwhelming 99% of people dislike it.

And it's not like you can't see the logos in the corner angle, that is just preposterous and ludicrous to claim otherwise.

So if you think this is democracy where people get what the majority want which is the corner angle then forget it. It's down to the very few and screw the rest.

Last edited:

M51

says Poly balls still suck.

M51

Sep 2012
The side angle isn't THAT bad, as long as the camera isn't static and follows the action (and zooms out when the players play away from the table). It's just that the corner angle is VASTLY superior. I mean, look how great this is:
hab%20jpg.jpeg
I'd use a wider angle lens, though...

And the sponsor ads are all perfectly visible. I would also put a LED ad board in the opposite corner.

EDIT: Streams are nice, but the frame rate puzzles me. It's 2022, can't they shoot and stream this in 60 frames per second? It makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited:

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Embarrassing from Harimoto but nothing new, we know that he is not as good anymore and he can lose against many players now, it's hardly a surprise. His increased body size and weight made him worse. I think Togami Shunsuke has a bigger potential in the next years but he lacks experience.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I like the side angle very much for watching serve and receive since it is mostly over the table. It would be nice if they could change the camera angles smoothly during the action. The way every other sport in the world does.

Reactions: M51
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Embarrassing from Harimoto but nothing new, we know that he is not as good anymore and he can lose against many players now, it's hardly a surprise. His increased body size and weight made him worse. I think Togami Shunsuke has a bigger potential in the next years but he lacks experience.

You're reaching here, He still reached a final about 3 months ago or so. It's just that others are improving fast and putting the ball on the table consistently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
As a fan, I love the corner angle like it was at the 2022 WTT Contender Muscaut Open. I dislike the side view except for perhaps the occasional shot just to have a different perspective.

However, if it's the case that the side view for the showcase table was sponsor driven, then I can accept that. Because if the choice is between having a multi-million dollar prize pool where 1 table is side and the others are corner view or having piddly prize pool for these deserving pros, I choose the former. I would love to have both corner view on all tables and multi-million dollar prize pool, but that's not the reality at the moment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021

You're reaching here, He still reached a final about 3 months ago or so. It's just that others are improving fast and putting the ball on the table consistently.

And he won Japan's recent Olympics qualification tourney; probs the best in Japan by a bit.

Not sure why Niwa isn't playing this time though

M51

M51

Sep 2012
Most child prodigies stop being prodigies once they stop being children. They move far ahead of the curve very early in life, but the curve eventually catches up.

There are many exceptions, of course, but I don't believe Harimoto will be one of them. There's absolutely nothing genius about the way he plays now...

Unlike Truls, whose shoddy footwork already improved noticeably since the WTTC. Once he's improved his mental game (kid's a loose canon), only the skies will be the limit for him.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

And he won Japan's recent Olympics qualification tourney; probs the best in Japan by a bit.

Not sure why Niwa isn't playing this time though

He said something about reconsidering whether to continue playing internationally or call it quits after a dismal performance in his last appearance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013
In my opinion…

Good
The camera setting little too high. Bad light setting.
(2022 Doha Youth Contender)

Better
Great light setting. Sometimes players are out off the frame.
(2022 WTT Contender Muscat, 2022 WTT Grand Smash Singapore)

Perfect
Good light setting. Perfect zoom out. Perfect angle.
(2022 WYTTC)

Please don’t use it again. It’s the most horrible angle ever.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
i don't get the horizontal view angle hatred

to me it is just as good if not better, mainly because you can see the feet/body of both players at all times. the one caveat is there needs to be a camera-person adjusting if the rally goes to the mid-court or far-court and they do that already.

Reactions: vvk1
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012

to me it is just as good if not better, mainly because you can see the feet/body of both players at all times. the one caveat is there needs to be a camera-person adjusting if the rally goes to the mid-court or far-court and they do that already.

It makes it almost impossible to appreciate the player's technical abilities and ball path (with spin) which is, when filmed accordingly, highly spectacular due to the extreme speed and ball trajectories involved. When filmed as it is now, ball trajectory and spin effects are practically unseen, everything looks "flat".

I've just tried watching Fan Zhendong vs Tiago Apolonia video and I just give up. For me it's completely unwatchable and I'll never watch any side angle table tennis video ever again. Thanks ITTF for ruining it.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2013

It’s depend on what you want to see. For me feet/body of player is not that necessary part, we could see it enough from standard angle too.

But horizontal view is
1. Hard to see the spin of services
2. Hard to see spin of the rallies, trajectory
3. Hard to catch up speed of the ball
4. Hard to analysis the game plan because it’s hard to tell the ball position on the table (left or right court)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Most child prodigies stop being prodigies once they stop being children. They move far ahead of the curve very early in life, but the curve eventually catches up.

There are many exceptions, of course, but I don't believe Harimoto will be one of them. There's absolutely nothing genius about the way he plays now...

Unlike Truls, whose shoddy footwork already improved noticeably since the WTTC. Once he's improved his mental game (kid's a loose canon), only the skies will be the limit for him.

I think its too early to tell. i can feel definitely Harimoto has gained a lot more power on his FH thanks to his body change. But his footwork is a bit slower for sure, and that hasn't ever been his biggest strength.

If he can work on that, he'll get very good results again I think. His mental strength now is very weak because he keeps on losing. But this could change quickly and then we would all marvel how he is a winning machine. But yeh, his CURRENT level is not that special anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews

I think its too early to tell. i can feel definitely Harimoto has gained a lot more power on his FH thanks to his body change. But his footwork is a bit slower for sure, and that hasn't ever been his biggest strength.

If he can work on that, he'll get very good results again I think. His mental strength now is very weak because he keeps on losing. But this could change quickly and then we would all marvel how he is a winning machine. But yeh, his CURRENT level is not that special anymore.

Harimoto’s FH/BH recovery and switching have slowed down compared to when he was younger. Maybe he will rise to the top again once he adjusts to his body shape.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Is Harimoto going to get a coaching change or something? Whatever he has been doing the past 3 years is not working clearly.