WTT Contender Series-2022

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021
Why does WTT divide it into Star Contender and Contender? Makes it so confusing. On the WTT wiki it says Star Contender events are for the "next best" to compete; implying lower ranked players, compared to Contender.

However for Doha it seems Star Contender is the tournament featuring more top-ranked players. And the fact that some competing in the Contender event are also competing in the Star Contender is confusing.

I'm also just now finding out about Champions events that are 4 a year. Thought the Grand Smashes were supposed to be the "pillars" of the annual season, similar to the Grand Slams in tennis.

So if I'm not wrong, in a calendar year; there are 4 Champions events, 4 Grand Smashes, year-end Cup Finals + miscellaneous Contender and Feeder events. Yet the WTT calendar here has none of the Champions or other Grand Smashes listed out so far.

Wonder if anyone has any idea about this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Why does WTT divide it into Star Contender and Contender? Makes it so confusing. On the WTT wiki it says Star Contender events are for the "next best" to compete; implying lower ranked players, compared to Contender.

However for Doha it seems Star Contender is the tournament featuring more top-ranked players. And the fact that some competing in the Contender event are also competing in the Star Contender is confusing.

I'm also just now finding out about Champions events that are 4 a year. Thought the Grand Smashes were supposed to be the "pillars" of the annual season, similar to the Grand Slams in tennis.

So if I'm not wrong, in a calendar year; there are 4 Champions events, 4 Grand Smashes, year-end Cup Finals + miscellaneous Contender and Feeder events. Yet the WTT calendar here has none of the Champions or other Grand Smashes listed out so far.

Wonder if anyone has any idea about this.

Grand Smashes are similar to Tennis' Grand Slams. Those are the most important tournaments of the year. The "next best" refers to next after the WTT Champions. In the WTT Series, the top is the WTT Champions, then Star Contender, then Contender.

• Wow
Reactions: arlentan
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

WTT Grand Smashes the four pillars of WTT.Grand Smashes - the ultimate in table tennis events with the highest prize money, top players, innovative sports presentation and worldwide media and broadcast coverage.The new pinnacle of professional table tennis. The 10-day event is a perfect mix of the highest-level table tennis, community activation and entertainment. The marquee events that all players want to win and all cities want to host.WTT is going to establish 4 homes for the biggest annual Grand Smashes which will become the must-win events for the world’s best players on the planet. The desire is to have brand new, purpose-built venues to provide a long-term home for these marquee events so that every year the city is taken over by a table tennis festival to inspire people, young and old, to get involved in the sport. An opportunity to watch, play and be entertained, WTT will develop these Grand Smashes to be the homes of the sport, known and recognized around the world.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2021

Grand Smashes are similar to Tennis' Grand Slams. Those are the most important tournaments of the year. The "next best" refers to next after the WTT Champions. In the WTT Series, the top is the WTT Champions, then Star Contender, then Contender.

I see, still getting used to this new structure system. Haven't been following for a while and WTT really switched things up huh

Also would be great to have an annual TT calendar with all events taking place (not just ITTF/WTT), like Asian/Euro Championships, E16, National Games or local Olympic scrimmages etc.

Currently the ITTF calendar doesn't have much announced...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
:D it should be viral
287137374_410325491015510_8760962382663299694_n.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2020
Read 1 reviews

WTT Star Contender (European Summer Series 2022) - is the sixth table tennis tournament WTT Contender Series (and the second level tournament WTT Star Contenders в 2022 году), held in Budapest, Hungary. WTT Star Contender (European Summer Series 2022) is held Hungarian Table Tennis Association under the patronage World Table Tennis (WTT) from 11 to 17 July 2022. The prize money for medalists in the tournament was $250,000.

Anyone knows why FZD withdrawed both of the upcoming tournaments?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

WTT Contender Tunis-2022 -is the seventh in 2022 table tennis tournament of the series WTT Contender Series (and fifth level tournament WTT Contenders), held at the Salle Omnisport de Radès at Avenue de France, 2098 Rades Médina in Ben Arous (Tunisia). WTT Contender Tunis-2022 is held FÉDÉRATION TUNISIENNE DE TENNIS DE TABLE(Tunisian Table Tennis Federation) under patronage of World Table Tennis (WTT) from 1 to 6 August 2022. The prize money for the medalists in the tournament was $75,000.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

WTT Contender Tunis-2022 -is the seventh in 2022 table tennis tournament of the series WTT Contender Series (and fifth level tournament WTT Contenders), held at the Salle Omnisport de Radès at Avenue de France, 2098 Rades Médina in Ben Arous (Tunisia). WTT Contender Tunis-2022 is held FÉDÉRATION TUNISIENNE DE TENNIS DE TABLE(Tunisian Table Tennis Federation) under patronage of World Table Tennis (WTT) from 1 to 6 August 2022. The prize money for the medalists in the tournament was $75,000.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016

Alexis LEBRUN knocked out HARIMOTO 3-0 (9 7 5) is an ultra-dominating fashion. HARIMOTO was in form and won the WTT Champions tournament 2 weeks ago !The young Frenchman has been on fire for months but now he's reaching incredible heights. He destroyed GAUZY 4-0 in the nationals and LEBESSON 3-0 in R1 of this tournament, he's clearly the N1 in France now, but he's also beaten Dima 2 weeks ago 3-2... He could be a favorite for the European Title later this month !! he's playing like a top10 player at the moment.Alexis is playing XUE Fei next, the 2017 World Junior champion , a penholder, but who hasn't had great results in seniors yet.---If Tomokazu HARIMOTO has disappointed (again), his sister Miwa is showing incredible progress. She's 14 and already 1m65 and very athletic. She plays like a man, very beautiful technique, very quick footwork and very powerful FH + precise and spinny BH , a lot of control in everything and very consistent. I think she'll take over the world within 2 years. I've never seen even Chinese players play so well at that age. and she's beaten already one (again !) in this tournament, LIU Weishan who is a marvellous12. I'd like Miwa to win this tournament and make a breakthrough. Her WR doesn't reflect her true level for sure.I'm skeptical of the prospects for Japanese Men's. Tomokazu HARIMOTO is a very good player but it will be difficult for him to claim the WR1 spot and win a gold medal at WTTC or Olympics. Behind him, UDA and TOGAMI are not performing very well. but the Japanese Women's team has really a lot of talents. there will be tough choices to make for the coaches with ITO; HAYATA, SATO; NAGASAKI; KIHARA and now Miwa HARIMOTO !! add in OJIO in the list.

(OJIO is not in this tournament, but I think she'll be the N1 chopper if she isn't already, and get even much stronger)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
another masterful performance from Alexis Lebrun who beated 3-1 Xue Fei, the 2017 World Junior champion !!
it could have been even 3-0 if Alexis was a bit more focused in G3, he missed to convert matchpoint there.

next, Falck is coming for him, the Swede beated 3-1 Lin Gaoyuan. I bet this guy won't ever be seen again in the CNT team for WTTC or Olympics. He'll just be a training partner or a solution for minor events.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
Alexis Lebrun is a hurried man, now in final after beating Falck (the same Falck he's lost recently in Open de Lille in may this year !). The same guys he was losing a year or only a few months ago, he's now easily beating them, talk about constantly improving !

He's going fast, very fast, is he going to be omniscient ?
I am an ice model with sun dyed.take back, hurry man,
my uttered bullshits,Are the world destiny,
I have no time, I'm leaving,
My career is at stake,I'm the media man
I am more than politic,
I am going fast, very fast.
I am an universal human comet
I am going through the time,
I am a referenceI am everywhere,
I am becoming omniscient.
I invaded the unknown world (really it is the world he do not know but I don't know how to say this)
Never mind, I'm talking about it, never mind I know.
I have men down on my feet, eight bilions (would be)? (potentials)?..
Enslaved idiots exept some of my friends
From the same world than mine.
You can't imagine how happy they are
Who wants me and crumbs from my brain?
Who wants to enter the canvas of my network?

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
did i mention that Adriana DIAZ seeded 2nd in this tournament lost to SHIN Yubin in R1 ? what an upset for WR10 DIAZ the pride of Puerto Rico !!!!!

/s

She is the pride of Puerto Rico (no sarcasm). To get to where she is from a small island with little table tennis infrastructure is amazing.

But I do agree with you that she is ranked too high. Her game does not support this high of a ranking. I understand ITTF's desire to globalize the support, but in the end, I don't think it's healthy for her or the sport. If and when she drops out of the top 10, she might feel a sense of sadness initially, but I think it will be followed by a sense of relief. Hugo also gets the continental boost, but his game backs up his ranking to an extent. As for the sport, I don't think anyone honestly believes that Adriana is better than the CNT and JNT players that regularly play WTT events (Hirano, Kihara, Miwa Harimoto, Fan Siqi, Zhang Rui, etc). I understand that higher ranking doesn't necessarily mean better, but the general public has a sense that that should be the case for the most part. There's always go to be a certain amount of variability in rankings, but when the disparity is so great between #10 and JNT/CNT players trying to make it into top 10, it becomes somewhat embarrassing for the sport. Adriana is on par with the top Europeans so a top 30 ranking would probably make more sense. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a top 30 player. It still would be an amazing achievement for the island girl.

Reactions: NextLevel