Advanced TTD Member 46 236
    G
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 236 46

User Info Menu

Feb 2019
    Ukraine
    Read 0 Reviews

WTT Contender Tunis-2022 -is the seventh in 2022 table tennis tournament of the series WTT Contender Series (and fifth level tournament WTT Contenders), held at the Salle Omnisport de Radès at Avenue de France, 2098 Rades Médina in Ben Arous (Tunisia). WTT Contender Tunis-2022 is held FÉDÉRATION TUNISIENNE DE TENNIS DE TABLE(Tunisian Table Tennis Federation) under patronage of World Table Tennis (WTT) from 1 to 6 August 2022. The prize money for the medalists in the tournament was $75,000.

says Disciple of OYA sensei

Master TTD Member 3,790 3,461

Master TTD Member 3,461 3,790

Alexis LEBRUN knocked out HARIMOTO 3-0 (9 7 5) is an ultra-dominating fashion. HARIMOTO was in form and won the WTT Champions tournament 2 weeks ago !The young Frenchman has been on fire for months but now he's reaching incredible heights. He destroyed GAUZY 4-0 in the nationals and LEBESSON 3-0 in R1 of this tournament, he's clearly the N1 in France now, but he's also beaten Dima 2 weeks ago 3-2... He could be a favorite for the European Title later this month !! he's playing like a top10 player at the moment.Alexis is playing XUE Fei next, the 2017 World Junior champion , a penholder, but who hasn't had great results in seniors yet.---If Tomokazu HARIMOTO has disappointed (again), his sister Miwa is showing incredible progress. She's 14 and already 1m65 and very athletic. She plays like a man, very beautiful technique, very quick footwork and very powerful FH + precise and spinny BH , a lot of control in everything and very consistent. I think she'll take over the world within 2 years. I've never seen even Chinese players play so well at that age. and she's beaten already one (again !) in this tournament, LIU Weishan who is a marvellous12. I'd like Miwa to win this tournament and make a breakthrough. Her WR doesn't reflect her true level for sure.I'm skeptical of the prospects for Japanese Men's. Tomokazu HARIMOTO is a very good player but it will be difficult for him to claim the WR1 spot and win a gold medal at WTTC or Olympics. Behind him, UDA and TOGAMI are not performing very well. but the Japanese Women's team has really a lot of talents. there will be tough choices to make for the coaches with ITO; HAYATA, SATO; NAGASAKI; KIHARA and now Miwa HARIMOTO !! add in OJIO in the list.

(OJIO is not in this tournament, but I think she'll be the N1 chopper if she isn't already, and get even much stronger)

The Following 3 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

obsidian d, OldUser and 1 other

Last edited by Takkyu_wa_inochi; 1 Week Ago at 03:00 PM.

did i mention that Adriana DIAZ seeded 2nd in this tournament lost to SHIN Yubin in R1 ? what an upset for WR10 DIAZ the pride of Puerto Rico !!!!!

/s

another masterful performance from Alexis Lebrun who beated 3-1 Xue Fei, the 2017 World Junior champion !!
    it could have been even 3-0 if Alexis was a bit more focused in G3, he missed to convert matchpoint there.

next, Falck is coming for him, the Swede beated 3-1 Lin Gaoyuan. I bet this guy won't ever be seen again in the CNT team for WTTC or Olympics. He'll just be a training partner or a solution for minor events.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 50 203
    O
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 203 50

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Alexis Lebrun is a hurried man, now in final after beating Falck (the same Falck he's lost recently in Open de Lille in may this year !). The same guys he was losing a year or only a few months ago, he's now easily beating them, talk about constantly improving !

He's going fast, very fast, is he going to be omniscient ?
    I am an ice model with sun dyed.take back, hurry man,
    my uttered bullshits,Are the world destiny,
    I have no time, I'm leaving,
    My career is at stake,I'm the media man
    I am more than politic,
    I am going fast, very fast.
    I am an universal human comet
    I am going through the time,
    I am a referenceI am everywhere,
    I am becoming omniscient.
    I invaded the unknown world (really it is the world he do not know but I don't know how to say this)
    Never mind, I'm talking about it, never mind I know.
    I have men down on my feet, eight bilions (would be)? (potentials)?..
    Enslaved idiots exept some of my friends
    From the same world than mine.
    You can't imagine how happy they are
    Who wants me and crumbs from my brain?
    Who wants to enter the canvas of my network?

The Following User Likes OldUser's Post:

Takkyu_wa_inochi

Last edited by OldUser; 1 Week Ago at 01:39 AM.

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 503 372
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 372 503

User Info Menu

Jan 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Takkyu_wa_inochi
    did i mention that Adriana DIAZ seeded 2nd in this tournament lost to SHIN Yubin in R1 ? what an upset for WR10 DIAZ the pride of Puerto Rico !!!!!

/s

She is the pride of Puerto Rico (no sarcasm). To get to where she is from a small island with little table tennis infrastructure is amazing.

But I do agree with you that she is ranked too high. Her game does not support this high of a ranking. I understand ITTF's desire to globalize the support, but in the end, I don't think it's healthy for her or the sport. If and when she drops out of the top 10, she might feel a sense of sadness initially, but I think it will be followed by a sense of relief. Hugo also gets the continental boost, but his game backs up his ranking to an extent. As for the sport, I don't think anyone honestly believes that Adriana is better than the CNT and JNT players that regularly play WTT events (Hirano, Kihara, Miwa Harimoto, Fan Siqi, Zhang Rui, etc). I understand that higher ranking doesn't necessarily mean better, but the general public has a sense that that should be the case for the most part. There's always go to be a certain amount of variability in rankings, but when the disparity is so great between #10 and JNT/CNT players trying to make it into top 10, it becomes somewhat embarrassing for the sport. Adriana is on par with the top Europeans so a top 30 ranking would probably make more sense. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a top 30 player. It still would be an amazing achievement for the island girl.

The Following User Likes pongfugrasshopper's Post:

NextLevel

Quote Originally Posted by pongfugrasshopper

She is the pride of Puerto Rico (no sarcasm). To get to where she is from a small island with little table tennis infrastructure is amazing.

But I do agree with you that she is ranked too high. Her game does not support this high of a ranking. I understand ITTF's desire to globalize the support, but in the end, I don't think it's healthy for her or the sport. If and when she drops out of the top 10, she might feel a sense of sadness initially, but I think it will be followed by a sense of relief. Hugo also gets the continental boost, but his game backs up his ranking to an extent. As for the sport, I don't think anyone honestly believes that Adriana is better than the CNT and JNT players that regularly play WTT events (Hirano, Kihara, Miwa Harimoto, Fan Siqi, Zhang Rui, etc). I understand that higher ranking doesn't necessarily mean better, but the general public has a sense that that should be the case for the most part. There's always go to be a certain amount of variability in rankings, but when the disparity is so great between #10 and JNT/CNT players trying to make it into top 10, it becomes somewhat embarrassing for the sport. Adriana is on par with the top Europeans so a top 30 ranking would probably make more sense. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with being a top 30 player. It still would be an amazing achievement for the island girl.

i totally agree with you. my rant is against WTT and WTT commentators / writers not against the girl. I'm tired to read "what an upset !"

Adriana is not deciding the rules. She's a strong and very entertaining player to watch, i even think she's got the best lobbing skills in the world for a girl - but that doesn't win a whole match.

-----
    what is the name of the commentator during this tournament ?

The Following 2 Users Like Takkyu_wa_inochi's Post:

NextLevel and OldUser

Last edited by Takkyu_wa_inochi; 1 Week Ago at 02:50 PM.

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Being a top 20/top 30 (her true level) is indeed a good achievement for an athlete coming from a small country. But also bear in mind that Puerto Rico is a US organized country, that's why PR athletes, as the Virgin Islands ones (Tim Duncan for example) are benefiting from the US sport services.

It's been analyzed, documented, local competitions always benefit the smallest countries in the WTT ranking system, that's why Hugo Calderano is ranked so high with so much points, although is of course an outstanding athlete deserving that ranking: he's alone with Kanak Jah in the Pan American championships, same goes for Lily Zhang and Adriana Diaz. It's the same in Africa where Quadri Aruna is the only one to fight against the Egypt leadership.

Asia and Europe are definitely more accurate when it comes to the WTT rankings, exception being China of course, because the WTT regulations do not allow more than 6 players from the same country in the final draw of the non-feeder competitions.

If it were ELO rankings like Rating Central does, you'd get a more accurate picture of the rankings. The chess game has more than 30 russians or ex-USSR countries players ranked in the Top 100, and nobody complains.

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jan 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OldUser
    Being a top 20/top 30 (her true level) is indeed a good achievement for an athlete coming from a small country. But also bear in mind that Puerto Rico is a US organized country, that's why PR athletes, as the Virgin Islands ones (Tim Duncan for example) are benefiting from the US sport services.

It's been analyzed, documented, local competitions always benefit the smallest countries in the WTT ranking system, that's why Hugo Calderano is ranked so high with so much points, although is of course an outstanding athlete deserving that ranking: he's alone with Kanak Jah in the Pan American championships, same goes for Lily Zhang and Adriana Diaz. It's the same in Africa where Quadri Aruna is the only one to fight against the Egypt leadership.

Asia and Europe are definitely more accurate when it comes to the WTT rankings, exception being China of course, because the WTT regulations do not allow more than 6 players from the same country in the final draw of the non-feeder competitions.

If it were ELO rankings like Rating Central does, you'd get a more accurate picture of the rankings. The chess game has more than 30 russians or ex-USSR countries players ranked in the Top 100, and nobody complains.

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, but as far as table tennis is concerned it's part of the Latin America Table Tennis Union so doesn't "benefit" from U.S. Sport Services. I put the word benefit in quotes because USATT has no professional league and provides very little support for its athletes. On MyTT there was a discussion about Lily Zhang setting up a GoFundMe to get funding for her pro career. If you want to be a pro in the United States, you need to find a pro league in Europe or Asia. Sad, but true.

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pongfugrasshopper

Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, but as far as table tennis is concerned it's part of the Latin America Table Tennis Union so doesn't "benefit" from U.S. Sport Services. I put the word benefit in quotes because USATT has no professional league and provides very little support for its athletes. On MyTT there was a discussion about Lily Zhang setting up a GoFundMe to get funding for her pro career. If you want to be a pro in the United States, you need to find a pro league in Europe or Asia. Sad, but true.

As long as it's not Baseball, Basketball, Ice hockey orAamerican football, USA don't care for pro sport.

BUT they care for players development, that's why in many other sports like volley-ball, athletics track and field, or even women football (yeah you name it soccer, and you're wrong hahaha) many european or asian students go to the USA to learn how to be a pro, and then go back to european pro leagues.. That's how it works.

USA is the home of college and high school sport leagues. Lilly Zhang has learned in the US, as Kanak Jah, as the PR players too because they do many camps on the US soil: that's where the high level international coaches are, as Stellan Bengtsson for example.

Lilly Zhang complains for no valid reason: she would be offered a bunch of money if she asked to play in Austria for Linz, the multiple ETTU champions league winner, or even for french PRO A clubs like Saint Denis, Poitiers, Metz or Lille who have many foreign players. I mean... the situation is not that much better in the UK, and Liam Pitchford + Paul Drinkhall have learned in the UK then moved to France, or even Russia for Liam after the PRO A, to pursue a pro career. Adriana has even moved to India at some point...

Even asian players move to the Bundesliga, table tennis is international, face it or leave it. There are countries where you can develop your skills, and some where you can live a pro career. It's like that in many other sports.

People like Ibrahima Diaw complains but they don't have the minimum level required to win the qualifying draws in any WTT tournament, why would you give money to people that won't win ?

I mean... when you don't find a job near your home, you move somewhere else right ?

This user has no status.

O
    This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Mar 2022
    Europe
    Read 0 Reviews
    And for your information, Puerto Rico is in the NCTTA championship, as Canada
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...is_Association

This user has no status.

This user has no status.

User Info Menu

Jan 2019
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OldUser
    And for your information, Puerto Rico is in the NCTTA championship, as Canada
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...is_Association

That's nice to know, but NCTTA has little to do with the development of pro level table tennis. Their goal is to popularize table tennis which is great! But by the time Adriana was college age, she was better than everyone in the colleges involved in NCTTA. Sports that are in the NCAA (volleyball, t/f, soccer) have access to lots of money for development whereas NCTTA is a non-profit, volunteer run organization.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12