Left foot rotation during forehand topspin (right hander)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I have noticed that i rotate my left foot outwards while doing the backswing of a forehand topspin as a right hander. I am pretty sure this causes me to overrotate my pelvis, as when I video myself i can see the racket behind my back. When I watch pro players play, most of them don't rotate it, some do it slightly. What is correct? How should the left foot behave during the forehand topspin? It feels weird when I don't move it. Should it rotate slightly inwards (while keeping toes and heel on the ground) on the horizontal axis when I put the weight on the right foot?

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have noticed that i rotate my left foot outwards while doing the backswing of a forehand topspin as a right hander. I am pretty sure this causes me to overrotate my pelvis, as when I video myself i can see the racket behind my back. When I watch pro players play, most of them don't rotate it, some do it slightly. What is correct? How should the left foot behave during the forehand topspin? It feels weird when I don't move it. Should it rotate slightly inwards on the horizontal axis when I put the weight on the right foot?
Can you show footage?

Not sure your descriptions fit what you are trying to describe.

Reactions: Tipiak
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
The left foot (from my view) rotates when I do a backswing.
PicsArt 03 12 03 40 49 jpg.jpeg

PicsArt 03 12 03 41 16 jpg.jpeg

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The left foot (from my view) rotates when I do a backswing.
PicsArt 03 12 03 40 49 jpg.jpeg

PicsArt 03 12 03 41 16 jpg.jpeg

You have two choices:

1) Don't rotate your hips. If you don't rotate your hips your foot won't do that. But you also won't use your body.

2) Keep doing that.

:)

Okay, there is a third option: destroy your knees. :)

Reactions: pingpongpaddy
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You definitely have not rotated your hips too much. And if your hips turn, you can't turn your hips without your legs and feet adjusting. So, that is supposed to happen. If there was something not okay about your stroke, it would not be caused by that.

Reactions: Takkyu_ga_suki