Tactics against Anti and LP players

says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
First of all you need to consider, that both LP and Anti live from the spin that YOU put into the ball. Non of the rubber will allow the opponent player to generate spin. So play without spin from the start and don't mind how he/she holds the racket when doing a stroke, there is no spin in return. This is the hardest part for most "newbies" to ANTI of LP. You see a push stroke and assume you get under spin, but instead get a flat ball.
What I do usually...Flat serve with no spin into the anti and try to shot the next ball.

Be aware that the ball will have a lot less speed/length and will stop more suddenly. So stay closer to the table.

Be aware that the opponents serves will also have no spin, regardless of the racket motion.

If you want to play with spin, be aware that you get the opposite spin back. I sometimes do a serve with heavy under spin into the ANTI (sometime they drop them into the net), but if you get it back it very similar to a block top spin ball. So you have to close the racket and play it accordingly. The next ball which comes back (regardless of LP or ANTI) will have heavy under spin (based on how many top spin you generated).
So it requires some concentration, but basically the spin is predictable because it simply reversed from what you put in (easier said then done).

Try to avoid side spin a all means, because the results coming back will be reversed in spin as well, but will look very strange during the flight towards you.

Good luck....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Thanks both and some good things to think about - I think just to clarify. I have played players that have LP or Anti - but never together, and he's really good at using them together has only lost a couple of games and is one of the higher ranked players in our area, so it was more some ideas on tactics that i might not have thought about previously. @yoass - changing up placement and speed is a good thing to think about. Lobbing might be a little tricky as he tends to play away from the table and does that to a degree.

Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews

If he is not turning his racket I would always try to avoid the LP and play the ANTI. Much more predictable. I have a hard time imaging how his tactics would be playing away from the table. What would he do if you play short? Changing length would be a good way to make him discomfort. Placing the ball short and following up with a placement into his body might work. But it is really hard without having either of you seen playing and judging the abilities on both sides

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
Thanks both and some good things to think about - I think just to clarify. I have played players that have LP or Anti - but never together, and he's really good at using them together has only lost a couple of games and is one of the higher ranked players in our area, so it was more some ideas on tactics that i might not have thought about previously. @yoass - changing up placement and speed is a good thing to think about. Lobbing might be a little tricky as he tends to play away from the table and does that to a degree.

Which local league is this?