SZLC vs ALC, is there really a big difference?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Today, a guy let me try his LYJ S-ZLC blade with Tenergy on it. I was expecting it to be fast and stiff, but actually it wasn't as stiff as I thought it would be. In fact, I thought it played very close to the standard ALC. It had a very similar feeling to another guy's ZJK ALC blade with Tenergy. In terms of speed and flex and feeling, I really didn't see much difference between the 2 blades. I'm pretty sure players of both could easily switch back and forth between them as I did.

To those who have tried both SZLC and ALC, do you really feel a big difference?

This user has no status.
The reason you are not finding there isn't a huge difference is that the LYJ SZLC blade was known to be softer.
That is not the standard benchmark for SZLC blades.

If you have tested it against the JM version or the ZJK version, there is a significant difference even between the normal ZLC version vs the Super ZLC.

I find SilentRain's comparison and comments between the ZLC and ALC versions are very helpful for this matter.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ny-comments-on-innerforce-layer-ZLC-vs-JM-ZLC

Reactions: Attitude
says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
says Currently in a dilemma between 5+2 or 7 ply allwood blade
May 2021
How about the LYJ SZLC vs the ZJK SZLC? Is there a big difference or are they similar?

Due to weight difference, ZJK has more power, better for playing mid-far distance. While LYJ, well, it doesn't lack power actually, but preferred by most clubmates I've known who tends to play closer to the table, being lighter is a great advantage for maneuverability.

Feeling wise, LYJ seems like to have more dwell, and surprisingly, pretty identical blade balance between ZJK and LYJ

Comparisons made based on two clubmates who accidently to have identical rubbers, T05 and Dr. Neubauer Killer 1.5mm. Being a short pips backhand user with a 7 ply limba-ayous as personal preference for blade selection due to better feel at 'grabbing' the ball, surprisingly it's easier to use LYJ than ZJK due to morel dwell, equals better feel at 'grabbing' the ball

Most butterfly blades almost have identical feeling, perhaps contributed by their method of gluing plies together (this, we might have to confirm to any blade makers in this forum), or maybe good QC from materials selection etc. , and yes, we must admit, BTY's blades are very consistent in terms of feeling between blades. As a personal experiment I've intentionally tested out 10 viscarias available in a shop, and found 10 of them are pretty much identical, compared to other brands, and also found out the shop owner got irritated for it (actually I only need to buy edge tape and spare rubbers) 🤣

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lodro
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The reason you are not finding there isn't a huge difference is that the LYJ SZLC blade was known to be softer.
That is not the standard benchmark for SZLC blades.

If you have tested it against the JM version or the ZJK version, there is a significant difference even between the normal ZLC version vs the Super ZLC.

I find SilentRain's comparison and comments between the ZLC and ALC versions are very helpful for this matter.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...ny-comments-on-innerforce-layer-ZLC-vs-JM-ZLC

How about the LYJ SZLC vs the ZJK SZLC? Is there a big difference or are they similar?

Didn't he answer this question? It is funny how any time someone answers a question of yours, you ask another question or two even if the questions were just answered in the post you are responding to.

In this sentence:

If you have tested IT against the JM version or the ZJK version, there is a significant difference even between the normal ZLC version vs the Super ZLC.

The only blade mentioned before is LYJ SZLC so, IT has to refer to the LYJ SZLC blade.

"If you had tested the LYJ SZLC blade against the JM version or the ZJK version there is a significant difference. Even between the normal ZLC version and the Super ZLC version [of the JM and ZJK blades], there is a significant difference."

TT-Kidz: am I reading that correctly with qualifiers I added above?

Last edited:
Reactions: MK73 and tt_kidz