Darker Hinoki 5p-2a

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
I have played with it for three years. I own three . What do you mean with large? Thickness or length? FL handle length is standard I would say, thickness is roughly like Korbel, a bit thinner over all. The blade is 6.5mm thick, so the handle is not as thin as for example Nittaku Acoustic or H301. My gauge is broken so I can't give you the exact measurements.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 1 reviews
I have played with it for three years. I own three . What do you mean with large? Thickness or length? FL handle length is standard I would say, thickness is roughly like Korbel, a bit thinner over all. The blade is 6.5mm thick, so the handle is not as thin as for example Nittaku Acoustic or H301. My gauge is broken so I can't give you the exact measurements.

Sorry but handle on H301 not thin, its much bigger then on Korbel and Acoustic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
You guys know anything about Neottec Amagi Off-, specifically handle size?

Cheers
L-zr
I have been playing with a Neottec Amagi off (the carbon variant) for a couple of months. I’m playing with a straight handle, so I guess it’s not that helpful, but that handle is ok for me (28x23 or so) and I do prefer large handles. Quality is better than what the price suggests!

You mean 100x23 (or it would be extremely short 😉 )
So that probably means the same for a Flared, I guess they are made for Japanese hands, too small for me.

I have a BTY innerforce ALC.S which is 100x 24, cant stand that handle, like a popsickle.

Still interested in trying my Mjönir?

Cheers
L-zr

if large handle is what you are looking for there is BTY Omar Assar blade check it out
There is more to it than a large handle. 5 layer wood and hinoki outer (>2 mm).
An I also don't like blades with names attached to them...

Cheers
L-zr

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
Read 1 reviews
So that probably means the same for a Flared, I guess they are made for Japanese hands, too small for me.

I have a BTY innerforce ALC.S which is 100x 24, cant stand that handle, like a popsickle.

Cheers
L-zr

I assume he means width and thickness. Width and thickness should be of more interest than thickness and length. Almost all handles are 100 and a few 102

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2020
Read 3 reviews
Darker handles vary in thickness. All blades are handmade so there are slight variations. Those I own - 5P2A, 7P2A Carbon, 7P2A.05 - between 23,5 and 25mm. Maybe you can ask your online supplier of choice for a speciment with a more chunky handle. Nexy used to make the Tamar V (5ply hinoki) which has a really thick handle. Unfortunately they don’t produce it anymore.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

Cheers
L-zr

Jup, 100 length or thereabout. The handle feels thicker than comparably shaped Butterfly handles (the round straight ones). I have large hands by swedish standards and can still play comfortably with the handle. To me changing from flared to straight made it much easier to find suitable blades.

Would definately like to test Mjölnir at some point!

For those who are interested in some Darker Hinoki 5p-2a real photos right out of the box. I expected that wings will be sanded much more round, so I did that after.
Overall quality is nice. I'm still testing it with different rubbers, so can't give a final verdict. But the blade really has a soft feeling and a kind of Hinoki catapult.
So harder rubbers with not an intense catapult are preferable as I see.
On one side I have Hurricane 8-80 38" and overall I like it.

Handle is not huge. I would say it is minimal option for a bigger hands. A little bit smaller one wouldn't be comfortable for me.