Finally tried boosting

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
After playing for 8 months with baby oil, i finally tried boosting with real booster. I decided to try it on a H3neo commercial that i previously had some baby oil on some months ago.

from the bottle, i wiped off all the excess oil and just put a thin layer of booster. To my surprise, it immediately started to curl and curled quite a lot. You can see before and after.

if i wait, will it uncurl to nearly the original degree? Or something in between?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022
I have heard about this. I don't do this as I am a beginner but should I be doing this also ?
Some players told me that it is illegal to boost but some others said everytbody does this so there is no issue here
Any help appreciated.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
After playing for 8 months with baby oil, i finally tried boosting with real booster. I decided to try it on a H3neo commercial that i previously had some baby oil on some months ago.

from the bottle, i wiped off all the excess oil and just put a thin layer of booster. To my surprise, it immediately started to curl and curled quite a lot. You can see before and after.

if i wait, will it uncurl to nearly the original degree? Or something in between?

Yes it will eventually flatten out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019

That’s normal, give it 2 days it will uncurl and b ready to glue. How many layers of booster did you use?

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
I have heard about this. I don't do this as I am a beginner but should I be doing this also ?
Some players told me that it is illegal to boost but some others said everytbody does this so there is no issue here
Any help appreciated.

Both things are true. Boosting is against ITTF rules, and many players do it anyway. If you are a beginner don't bother with boosting right now. It might make it harder for you to learn because the rubber would be faster.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Boosting is against ITTF rules, and many players do it anyway.

I am so confused. Why is boosting illegal in the first place ?
And if many players do it anyway, is there no penalty or reperussions ? How do they check the racket to see if it has been boosted ?
I have not played in tournaments but have watched some small tournaments with my grandparents here. I see nobody checking anything.
Players just come & play and leave

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
I am so confused. Why is boosting illegal in the first place ?
And if many players do it anyway, is there no penalty or reperussions ? How do they check the racket to see if it has been boosted ?
I have not played in tournaments but have watched some small tournaments with my grandparents here. I see nobody checking anything.
Players just come & play and leave
IMO, you only need to care about this if you're playing at sanctioned tournaments, technically it's illegal per ITTF rule "The covering material should be used as it has been authorized by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, color, structure, surface, etc.".

If you're just playing local leagues or tournaments, who cares 🤣 no one checks your equipment, and it's just for fun, if you get a little more spin and speed, why not.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
IMO, you only need to care about this if you're playing at sanctioned tournaments, technically it's illegal per ITTF rule "The covering material should be used as it has been authorized by the ITTF without any physical, chemical or other treatment, changing or modifying playing properties, friction, outlook, color, structure, surface, etc.".

If you're just playing local leagues or tournaments, who cares 🤣 no one checks your equipment, and it's just for fun, if you get a little more spin and speed, why not.

Actually I wonder, in just the local tournaments, is anybody still doing the speed glue thing? Since its not official anyways, why not just go ahead and speed glue. I think speed glue gives more of a boost than booster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

Actually I wonder, in just the local tournaments, is anybody still doing the speed glue thing? Since its not official anyways, why not just go ahead and speed glue. I think speed glue gives more of a boost than booster.

Speed glue is kind of hard to come by if you’re in the states, and rubber looses the “speed” rather quickly, and people know high VOC is harmful to your health.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2022

Thanks for your reply. However I hate to be a pain as I am curious by nature. This still does not answer my question as to why boosting is illegal .
Also you said it matters only in sanctioned tournaments. I do not know what a "sanctioned" tournament is, but assuming I do, I would still ask how they check if a player has boosted his or her racket.
Also it seems you assume I understand many of the terms you use lbut I don't but it is ok for now. but for now to start with slowly, I am most curious as to why boosting is illegal

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
So the boosted rubber has somewhat uncurled and become flatter. But does that mean that there is less booster effect than when it was at its maximum curl?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019

Thanks for your reply. However I hate to be a pain as I am curious by nature. This still does not answer my question as to why boosting is illegal .
Also you said it matters only in sanctioned tournaments. I do not know what a "sanctioned" tournament is, but assuming I do, I would still ask how they check if a player has boosted his or her racket.
Also it seems you assume I understand many of the terms you use lbut I don't but it is ok for now. but for now to start with slowly, I am most curious as to why boosting is illegal

Boosting is illegal because of ITTF Rule 2.4.7.
"Sanctioned" tournament means it was approved by ITTF and abides to its rules and regulations.
I guess such tournament organizers have machines with which they can inspect players rackets. These machines detect some chemical compounds that are result of illegal rubber treatment but I am not sure if they can detect boosting with commercially available boosters.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2020
So the boosted rubber has somewhat uncurled and become flatter. But does that mean that there is less booster effect than when it was at its maximum curl?

Yes. The effect is less and less over time after the rubber reaches maximum elasticity (when you feel like it bends so easily most). Most club players, me included, would just wait for the rubber to flatten since we don't want to change the rubber every couple of days. It's easier to glue and it's probably faster than a lot of people need anyway.

The first couple of days after boosting a fresh piece, I overshoot the table a hell lot all the time anw.

I personally don't try to get the most out of the boosting process. Since there is no such a thing called "the most" anyway. Do it several times and find the tune that make your own feeling balanced.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Other than being hard to glue, why don't people glue their rubbers during the maximum curl to get the greatest booster effect? Maybe it's just a small difference, but wouldn't that be significant for some people?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2021
Well I haven't played with it yet, but just tried glueing the H3Neo to my blade and bouncing it. I only put 1 very very thin layer of booster on the rubber and stopped at that because it curled so much, but just from bouncing it I can see that there is basically no change to the bounce or feeling. It doesn't feel faster or bouncier.

Should I put more booster on it?